Sponsored by:

I'M BACK!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 10:41 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default I'M BACK!!!

Like Randall Patrick McMurphy, Jack Nicholson's character in the movie One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, in that memorable scene where he walks back to join the ward after receiving electroshock treatment for misbehaving, I can now say I'm gentle as a puppy dog, and a model of good behavior. "They wus giving me ten thousand watts a day and I'm hot to trot. Next woman that takes me on is gonna light up like a pinball machine and pay off in silver dollars!"

Seriously though, folks, we're taking this whole forum activity thing way too seriously if it ends up resulting in disharmony. We really need to put things into proper perspective in the overall scheme of life and realize this is just a hobby – a pastime, a hangout – where we can all learn about and share in the joy of these fine p-cars that have become our passion. . And that should always be a fun thing. There should never be any acrimony in any of this. But, alas, because of the nature of text messaging, in that it fails to convey how we mean what we’re saying, leaving those hastily typed words open to interpretation, quite a bit of what we say is often taken the wrong way, sometimes in the opposite sense that we meant them, unfortunately. Add to that the anonymity of the internet and you have the potential for some serious falling out and misunderstandings. We all really need to be mindful of these inherent shortcomings and try to give others the benefit of the doubt when we're not sure how they mean what they say. Clearly this is never a problem in real life when we have get-togethers to discuss our cars – it’s always a fun experience.

So let's get back to making this a fun place again. And let me take the lead by making amends and setting the record straight once and for all about what happened so we can all leave this pothole behind us and get back on that smooth highway of fun.

I know there's been quite a bit of speculation about what actually transpired here a week ago, and if anybody is interested the evidentiary record still stands for those wishing to review it. I also saw that I was pilloried, tarred-and-feathered, and just about burned at the stake – wow, tough crowd!

Just so you know, the reason – and the only reason – I was banned was for a single retaliatory post in self defense after repeated personal attacks in a thread in which I wasn't even participating. But like the guy who throws the retaliatory punch and draws the attention of the refs, I too was ejected and given a one week suspension as well.

Usually I ignore such petty attacks as immature behavior, not worthy of reading, much less wasting time to answer. But what ticked me off, and the reason for the retaliatory punch, was that I was being accused of badgering someone about getting a Rennlist membership if he wanted his posts to be taken seriously, or something to that effect – which I clearly knew to be false.

Some of you may recall the group discussion I initiated last year to resolve the growing palpable tension in the forum between Rennlist Members and non-Rennlist Members, as I had seen quite a bit of badgering and belittling by those who were Members against those who were not. Prior to that discussion, there had been at least one "members only" thread in the forum (it was a drawing for members only), which essentially discriminated against non-Rennlist Members (i.e. Registered Users) and no doubt made them feel left out and unwelcome.

The discussion was actually quite enlightening for me as it helped change my perspective on the issue. I drew some conclusions from it and posted them up for all to see. The most important of which was that Rennlist Members were not to badger Registered Users into becoming paying members, plain and simple.

So there you have it. That's the reason I became so infuriated. After all I had done to put to rest such abusive behavior I was now being falsely accused of behaving that way. That's what pushed my buttons. And so I apologize to anyone who was offended by my response, especially to the moderator who was forced to take action.

There were other accusations leveled at me in the past week that need addressing as well, just to set the record straight.

First of all, the searching thing. . Ah yes, the searching thing. Some of you apparently are under the impression that if I had my way everyone would to do a search before posting a thread topic. Not true. Can you imagine someone posting a topic saying, "I did a search before posting pics of my newly delivered car just to make sure I hadn't done so already!" It's a funny line, that's for sure, and a little jab in my direction. But, for all those common topics of the 997 that have been talked and discussed, hashed and rehashed, I do plead guilty to letting posters know there is a wealth of information on those very subjects if only they would search for it. To a newcomer the text message "do a search" may come across as "DO A SEARCH!!!!" and they may thus be offended by the advice.

So instead of telling others to do a search, I went to the trouble of doing it for them, and posted the results, usually in descending order of most relevant threads so they could find as much information as possible. And yet strangely there were those still offended when I gave them what they were looking for – go figure. Granted, I usually didn’t couch the results with an introduction such as, "I hope you don't mind that I took the liberty of searching some threads for you and even arranged them in the order of most importance. It is my sincere hope they contain the information you are seeking." Usually I would say "check these out" if I said anything at all, or I would just simply post the links to the threads without any accompanying text. When people still complained, I altogether stopped trying to be helpful.

Many of you will recall a thread I created for the sole purpose of asking basic non-related questions about the 997 and for posting random thoughts without having to initiate a new thread just to ask a simple question. It was called "Spin the Topic – Non Sequiturs on the 997," remember that? I think it probably would have worked better if it had been made a "sticky.”

Lately I was planning on creating a sort of concierge thread and requesting that it be made a sticky, where newcomers could first come to for directions to the information they were seeking. I'm sure you'll all agree that the most valuable thing about forums and the main reason we come here in the first place is for the wealth of information that users have provided. Being able to tap into it, however, is the challenge.

I was planning on calling this thread "Is This Your Topic?" or "Is this what you’re looking for?", and planned for it to be like a directory or a catalog of frequently discussed topics. A typical entry post would be something like: For Car Covers see such and such threads, For Satellite Radio see this and that, For Spare Tire Solutions, Battery topics, Oil Changes, etc, etc and all those numerous topics that were enthusiastically discussed the first couple of times around but now no longer generate the same interest among those who've been there, done that, said that. Perhaps someone else can pick up that ball and run with it.

The other thing I saw was that I was accused of verbally abusing someone for modifying an avatar I was using. That took me by surprise. But here's a case in point of how a simple text message can be misconstrued as being verbally abusive, offensive, and out of line.

Some of you will recall the waiter avatar I created for myself to show my waiter status, to which I later added the words "GOT VIN!" and then "ONVESL" onto the plate the waiter was holding up. Months later I allowed others to use it to indicate who was "Head Waiter" in the forum, but under a few minor conditions. One being that only one person at a time could be head waiter, and when they were no longer ONVESL they were to remove it immediately so I could assign it to the next waiter in line who had asked permission to use it. Well, someone who wasn't aware the avatar was my own artwork decided to modify it and use it as his own. When I pointed out to him that it was actually mine and asked him to remove it, it was not an instance of tongue lashing, name calling, and being totally out of line as you might have been led to believe, but a playful, tongue-in-cheek, yet respectful request.

Were there times I could have worded things differently? Sure. Who’s never had a bad day and wished they could take something back? But whenever I offended someone and was clearly out of line, I quickly apologized and admitted the error of my ways. . By and large, I was honest and factual when posting and stating my opinions. But what I enjoyed most was having fun and being playful and getting to know you guys.

I won't be spending much time here these next few weeks as I've got my plate full with real life priorities. I've been tapped to head up a major project at work that I'm really excited about and so I'll be real busy with that for several months. I'll also be busy packing and moving at the end of this week and next week as well. Then I'll be busy with putting my current house on the market and trying to sell that.

One last thing, and that is that I have always believed in settling our differences peacefully as adults and not being as school children running to the teacher because Billy called someone a so and so. I believe that we can police ourselves and intercede on behalf of others whenever discussions get out of line. It's more unifying to a community when its own members police each other, as it strengthens the bonds that keep us united and builds camaraderie when we apologize publicly. As I said before, if we all behave as moderators we won't need to rely on them to maintain the peace.

To the administrators and the moderators, lock up threads if you must, but think twice before deleting them, as this is pretty much tantamount to destroying evidence, in my opinion. Oh, and please see if you can possibly rename the temporary ban a suspension. Banned just sounds so permanent. But I realize it's probably just a canned label from the software, and should not be taken so personally.

To those who supported and defended me, my heartfelt thanks. To the detractors, my sincere apologies for whatever it was I might have said that offended you, including you Pete.

Every single one of you has goodness in your heart. Your loved ones see it, your close friends see it, your neighbors see it. Try to make an effort to let everyone here see it as well.

Peace.

Ben
Old 05-31-2006, 10:49 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

good to see you back big guy!

best
jeff
Old 05-31-2006, 11:09 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Nice to see you back. AS
Old 05-31-2006, 11:23 PM
SilverSteel
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 141 Posts

Ben, I appreciate your thoughts and expertise. Also, don't ever hesitate to send me a link that helps me find my rear. Regards--
Old 05-31-2006, 11:27 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Oh, and please see if you can possibly rename the temporary ban a suspension. Banned just sounds so permanent. But I realize it's probably just a canned label from the software, and should not be taken so personally.
I agree completely. I thought it was permanent from the label.

Glad to see you back.

Now, back to P-Cars hopefully.

What type of real estate are you involved in and in what capacity?
Old 05-31-2006, 11:38 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome back Ben! I am sure that those of us who regularly post here appreciate the time you have taken to explain what occurred. I know that I do - and I also appreciate your many, many contributions to this forum.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:51 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I missed the drama, so I have no clue what you are talking about but that is fine. I've got a post especially for you big guy:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/276814-top-detailing-products-for-your-997-a.html

Read the thread and see post #9.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:51 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Welcome back to the world of the unbanned. As a formerly banned member I welcome you to an exclusive club.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:57 PM
MMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Darn! I was hoping for a "zero-tolerance" rule for personal attacks; one that would result in *permanent* suspension. There's no guarantee the same BS won't recur again without one.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:09 AM
Paul523
Pro

Does Sport Chrono really add horsepower?
I kid, I kid! ... had to see if the treatment really worked.

" In heaven all the interesting people are missing.".......
......"It is nobler to declare oneself wrong than to insist on being right - especially when one is right. "

Friedrich Nietzsche
haha I always loved that quote.

Ben, you probably talk yourself out of some real jams with the missus, no?
I told you, you should get into politics...maybe run for Duke Cunningham's seat? Allright, enough drama already-- back to 997s, a loose tie-in to the stripper thread--check out the tuckus on this Seal grey C4S.

Btw I've been on vacation-- noticed in Johnny Narcosis' sig I missed it- when did he order an Atlas grey C4S X51 ?!?! wow, sweet! Now if only Porsche'd offer an option to stuff a VTG twin turbo into the regular C4 body.
Dariof, I just rec'd your message- will ring you tomorrow. ps Great Lakes Brewery is a cool little joint.
Attached Images  

Last edited by stan523; 06-01-2006 at 12:35 AM. Reason: ph
Old 06-01-2006, 12:23 AM
micgreeny
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good to see you back! You are right Ben, when we text mess., someone we don't know there's a lot thats missing no face expressions, no hands, ect.,,, sometime it takes awhille to understand someone even when we are face to face, I have very much enjoyed this fourm and try to see the best in everyone, (hard at times) but I think everyone means well. humor is very difficult to translate at times and very easy to take the wrong way.----------------mike
Old 06-01-2006, 12:29 AM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stan523
Does Sport Chrono really add horsepower?
I kid, I kid! ... had to see if the treatment really worked.

"It is nobler to declare oneself wrong than to insist on being right - especially when one is right." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
haha I always loved that quote.

Ben, you probably talk yourself out of some real jams with the missus, no?
I told you, you should get into politics...maybe run for Duke Cunningham's seat? Allright, enough drama already-- how about a loose tie-in to the stripper thread--check out the tuckus on this Seal grey C4S.

Btw I've been on vacation-- noticed in Johnny Narcosis' sig I missed it- when did he order an Atlas grey C4S X51 ?!?! wow, sweet! Now if only Porsche'd offer an option to stuff a VTG twin turbo into the regular C4 body.
Hey Ben! I'm glad that you CAME back... it's a better place for it.

Did you get us anything while you were away?

Hey Stan, that would be May 6, 2006 placed the order ( '06 MY ). Accepted for production. Planned on the boat June 22. I shall never stray again.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:53 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Alright now....

The party is ON!!!!
Old 06-01-2006, 12:56 AM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Welcome back my friend. Your thoughts were stated well.
I say we keep this post as current as possible. Each night all of us should place a post here to keep this thread red hot for some time to come.

Jay
Old 06-01-2006, 01:01 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Welcome back...aren't you supposed to post pics or something. I was getting so tired of answering all of the detailing questions! I keep telling folks to search under OCBen.

Quick Reply: I'M BACK!!!