German Porsche Knowledge

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 11:08 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 126 Posts
Default German Porsche Knowledge

I'm constantly amazed at the knowledge the regular German population has of the new 911s. Several times I have observed some (always male) German looking closely at my PCCBs and when I come up to them they get all excited about the ceramics. The average German really knows these cars, even though you just don't see them out in and about on the German roads (save within 10 miles of Zuffenhausen).

One guy I met yesterday always gets red ones. He told me that his neighbors don't notice the change (since 911s don't change THAT much to the novice observer) when he maintains the same color from model to model. He's on his 9th since 1972. (He beat me by 2 years and about 5 cars!)

Dan
On The Roads of Deutscheland
Old 06-29-2006, 12:15 PM
AaronR968
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was over there I really didnt notice that all that much. However I was with a bunch of High School students! Maybe the older population knows more about them.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:53 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dan -

Aren't you (generally) amazed at the the overall level of technical knowledge that the majority of the German population exhibits - and not just regarding Porsche cars?

Having worked with US and German resellers of our (technical software) products, I'm typically blown away by the deep knowlege that the Germans posess... They seem to be compelled to understand technical / mechanical things at a very high level.

"Zwar weiss ich viel, doch mochte ich alles wissen..." - Goethe

Time to come home, Dan. We're horribly jealous of you. ;-)

-don
Old 06-29-2006, 03:58 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 210 Posts

Don-
You don't really believe that Dan is ever coming back here, do you?

Dan-
I remember only the key German phrases from my entire semester in college:
Trinkt beim fahren (drink while driving)
Ich habe kein geld (I don't have any money)
Hast du zeit fur eine flasche bier Fraulein? (Do you have time for a beer?)
Das Lebenmitelgeschaft (sp?) - (the store)
and my favorite:
Das Sieben-Elf (The 7-11)

ENJOY !
Old 06-29-2006, 04:04 PM
zumaron
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dstrimbu
Dan -

Aren't you (generally) amazed at the the overall level of technical knowledge that the majority of the German population exhibits - and not just regarding Porsche cars?
-don
Not only technical. The people I had the good fortunate to meet and share a few beers with knew more about American politics then most of our US citizens.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:27 PM
SilverSteel
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 141 Posts

I was touring a castle in Austria and the tour guide asked if there were any Americans in the crowd (there were about 30 people all together). I proudly raised my hand. She said back in the day (I can't recall the exact date but it was 1700ish), countries like America were more aggressive, taking land and forcing the people into slavery. I raised my hand again and said, Austria and all its people would be under Hitler or decendent rule if the U.S. hadn't stepped in and provided the necessary troops to overthrow your German ruler. Austria was one of the first countries to fall to Germany during WWII. Remember??? She said nothing. Sure I got a few looks, but Fk 'em. Americans died in Europe so some of those asses could live in freedom. My g-father served over there in the Battle of The Bulge and the landing in Normandy with his honors degree from West Point. He had bullet holes and schrapnel wounds from the war (3 purple hearts, silver star and bronze star, among others). Don't ever forget what price our people paid for us all to live free. I won't let them forget either. I love Germany and Austria, but am surprised how they have forgotten who liberated them from a homicidal tyrant. If you've traveled to Europe lately, you'll find much in the way of Anti-American sentiment. Happy 4th of July--Remember!
Old 06-29-2006, 08:28 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
I was touring a castle in Austria and the tour guide asked if there were any Americans in the crowd (there were about 30 people all together). I proudly raised my hand. She said back in the day (I can't recall the exact date but it was 1700ish), countries like America were more aggressive, taking land and forcing the people into slavery. I raised my hand again and said, Austria and all its people would be under Hitler or decendent rule if the U.S. hadn't stepped in and provided the necessary troops to overthrow your German ruler. Austria was one of the first countries to fall to Germany during WWII. Remember??? She said nothing. Sure I got a few looks, but Fk 'em. Americans died in Europe so some of those asses could live in freedom. My g-father served over there in the Battle of The Bulge and the landing in Normandy with his honors degree from West Point. He had bullet holes and schrapnel wounds from the war (3 purple hearts, silver star and bronze star, among others). Don't ever forget what price our people paid for us all to live free. I won't let them forget either. I love Germany and Austria, but am surprised how they have forgotten who liberated them from a homicidal tyrant. If you've traveled to Europe lately, you'll find much in the way of Anti-American sentiment. Happy 4th of July--Remember!

Good God this is so off topic, but since you brought this up here I go.

Austria did NOT fall to Germany during WW2. On March 13, 1938 Austria formed an Anschluss or "Union" with Germany. Gee what a surprize that one was since Adolf Hitler was born and raised in Austria!!!!!
On September 1, 1939 Germany invaded Poland which offically kicked off WW2. On Sept. 3, 1939 Britain, France, Australia and New Zealand declared war on Germany. Other nations would soon join them.

Those people in that Austrian castle must have looked at you like you were crazy if thats indeed what you said about Germany taking Austria.

I had the best WW2 History teacher on the planet my Uncle. He served in the OSS during WW2 which is now called the CIA. He was fluent in over 10 languages and served as General Eisenhower's interpreter during the war . My Uncle was at the school house in Reims, France with General Eisenhower on May 7, 1945 for Germany's unconditional surrender. The stories he told me the photo's he showed me, PRICELESS!!! When Eisenhower later became President my Uncle also served as his interpreter since Eisenhower liked him very much.
My father wasn't so luckey as my Uncle. My Dad served in the US Army during the war and was blown out of his Jeep when it hit a land mine in France. He said he flew like 30 feet before he landed. Thank God he only broke a few bones in his leg.
Don't worry I will enjoy by 4th of July. I'll be driving my 1966 Shelby Mustang GT-350 Fastback in a local 4th of July town parade.

Happy 4th of July !!!!
Old 06-29-2006, 08:31 PM
Cogito
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Zwar weiss ich viel, doch mochte ich alles wissen..." - Goethe
Please to translate into English dstrimbu, or anyone, I can't let a quote get by me from arguably the world's most intelligent man.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:52 PM
Tony951
Intermediate

Loose translation: Although I know a lot, I would like to know it all...
Old 06-29-2006, 08:58 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 210 Posts

Can anyone translate this:

Ich habe ein gigantisch wiener. -Coochas
Old 06-29-2006, 09:18 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Can anyone translate this:

Ich habe ein gigantisch wiener. -Coochas

LOL you guys are silly
Old 06-29-2006, 09:39 PM
SilverSteel
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by MHC2S
Good God this is so off topic, but since you brought this up here I go.

Austria did NOT fall to Germany during WW2. On March 13, 1938 Austria formed an Anschluss or "Union" with Germany. Gee what a surprize that one was since Adolf Hitler was born and raised in Austria!!!!!
On September 1, 1939 Germany invaded Poland which offically kicked off WW2. On Sept. 3, 1939 Britain, France, Australia and New Zealand declared war on Germany. Other nations would soon join them.

Those people in that Austrian castle must have looked at you like you were crazy if thats indeed what you said about Germany taking Austria.

I had the best WW2 History teacher on the planet my Uncle. He served in the OSS during WW2 which is now called the CIA. He was fluent in over 10 languages and served as General Eisenhower's interpreter during the war . My Uncle was at the school house in Reims, France with General Eisenhower on May 7, 1945 for Germany's unconditional surrender. The stories he told me the photo's he showed me, PRICELESS!!! When Eisenhower later became President my Uncle also served as his interpreter since Eisenhower liked him very much.
My father wasn't so luckey as my Uncle. My Dad served in the US Army during the war and was blown out of his Jeep when it hit a land mine in France. He said he flew like 30 feet before he landed. Thank God he only broke a few bones in his leg.
Don't worry I will enjoy by 4th of July. I'll be driving my 1966 Shelby Mustang GT-350 Fastback in a local 4th of July town parade.

Happy 4th of July !!!!
Probably should have stated: occupied. Austria wasn't happy about it. Yes Poland was first to be run over eventhough they had a resistance since their army was unable to repel the German war machine. While Hitler was from Austria he wasn't welcomed as he was killing all Jews, and any Christian that didn't agree with him. Did they have a choice? BTW, It wasn't Austria back then, it was Austria-Hungary!! And if we didn't get involved provoking the Germans to fight on three fronts, they (Allies) would have lost as they were gaining tremendous ground in Russia (Russsian winter major factor). Upon entry into the war the tide was changed. Hitler approached Mexico asking them to invade the US to help pull troops from overseas (or divert) as he knew he was in trouble. Mexico did not, and so it goes...

Thanks to your dad and all other veterans for making the sacrafice, and those who made the ultimate sacrafice.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:42 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
Hitler approached Mexico asking them to invade the US to help pull troops from overseas (or divert) as he knew he was in trouble. Mexico did not, and so it goes....
Hmmm, who's doing Hitler's bidding now? The above mentioned invasion seems to be going well
Old 06-30-2006, 05:26 AM
hammerwerfer
Racer

Originally Posted by Edgy01
On The Roads of Deutscheland
Did you make it to the Nordschleife?
Old 06-30-2006, 09:58 AM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Default Spot on, Tony...

Originally Posted by Tony951
Loose translation: Although I know a lot, I would like to know it all...
My German is really weak, but I liked that quote a lot...

Quick Reply: German Porsche Knowledge