Sponsored by:

Dead battery--help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 09:14 PM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead battery--help!

Okay, my battery is dead and I have no power whatsoever after a long winter slumber. Should have used the trickle charger, but that is another story.

How do I manually open the front hood to get to the battery without any power? Before I break out the manual, I was wondering if anyone had a quick answer.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:46 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Assuming that you have a battery charger in the house, or another car. You should get familiar with the process.

(1) You need to get the front trunk open so that you can properly charge the battery.
(2) Going in through the fuse panel in the left wheel well (next to your left foot) you can remove that panel and access the instruction sheet within (on the panel itself). It will tell you where you need to get your pick up points for a battery charger or power source. Get power to those leads (ground and the one called for) and then use that to give the battery enough power for you to then reach over to the front trunk release and open it up.
(3) Access the battery itself and attach power to neg and plus and go for it.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:44 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 392 Likes on 202 Posts

While this won't help you at this moment,... Black & Decker makes a "Battery Booster" which I bought for about 50 bucks on Amazon .
You charge the thing and it then takes about 5-10 mins to trickle charge your battery through the ciggy lighter. I keep it under ther passenger seat and I just have to remember to charge it every month. I think it's a great device particularly for those of us who park where it gets really cold!
Old 03-11-2007, 12:34 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Assuming that you have a battery charger in the house, or another car. You should get familiar with the process.

(1) You need to get the front trunk open so that you can properly charge the battery.
(2) Going in through the fuse panel in the left wheel well (next to your left foot) you can remove that panel and access the instruction sheet within (on the panel itself). It will tell you where you need to get your pick up points for a battery charger or power source. Get power to those leads (ground and the one called for) and then use that to give the battery enough power for you to then reach over to the front trunk release and open it up.
(3) Access the battery itself and attach power to neg and plus and go for it.

Edy01:

Comment and Question.

Comment: I like your explanation of the fuse system location for charging the battery. I am going to do a "dry" run sometime this week just in case I ever have to access it for real.

Question: Can the battery be charged through the cig lighter without accessing the fuse box? I know this is possible with other vehicles...ie jump starting the car through the cig lighter.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:57 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 392 Likes on 202 Posts
Default One picture is worth....

Old 03-11-2007, 01:53 PM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Wow, thanks for the great instructions Edgy and for the picture Coochas!

Boy, all this to get into the damn trunk--they don't make it easy.

I think the battery booster sounds like a good idea--thanks Coochas.

It's 50 degrees today, I need to get out and drive (maybe even with the top down and seat heaters on!).
Old 03-11-2007, 05:50 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These cars really have to be driven once a week if your not going to use a trickle charger. If your not going to use it you might pop the hood so you don't have to go through this drill.

Last time I had a dead battery the airbag light came on and I had to take to the dealer to have that reset.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:44 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ChipAZ
These cars really have to be driven once a week if your not going to use a trickle charger. If your not going to use it you might pop the hood so you don't have to go through this drill.

Last time I had a dead battery the airbag light came on and I had to take to the dealer to have that reset.
my battery died a couple of months ago. the psm light came on for about 5 miles and then went off on its on. i understand that this may be normal.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:02 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ChipAZ

the opened hood will drain the battery also.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:31 PM
icruze
Racer

Originally Posted by Coochas
While this won't help you at this moment,... Black & Decker makes a "Battery Booster" which I bought for about 50 bucks on Amazon .
You charge the thing and it then takes about 5-10 mins to trickle charge your battery through the ciggy lighter. I keep it under ther passenger seat and I just have to remember to charge it every month. I think it's a great device particularly for those of us who park where it gets really cold!
The battery booster works well if your battery has juice but just not enough to start the car. On a competely dead battery the booster won't do the job. You need to have a charger. However, even if the booster won't start the car it does provide enough juice for you to pop the hood.

Also, beware of putting your key into the ignition with a dead battery. It will get stuck.

Finally, lock your car even if it's in the garage. By locking the car you reduce the items draining on the battery (or so I'm told by my p-mechanic),
Old 03-12-2007, 03:38 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by THPorsche
the opened hood will drain the battery also.
997s will shut off the lights to save power, but you can still manualy close the latch, just remebr to release it before you col=se the trunk
Old 03-12-2007, 03:43 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dariof
Edy01:

Comment and Question.

Comment: I like your explanation of the fuse system location for charging the battery. I am going to do a "dry" run sometime this week just in case I ever have to access it for real.

Question: Can the battery be charged thr without accessing the fuse box? I know this is possible with othough the cig lighterer vehicles...ie jump starting the car through the cig lighter.

never try to start the car though the cigar lighter or the fuse box.
the starter will draw 300+ amps cigar lighter fuse is 10 you will blow lots of fuses at best. you can how ever back feed trrough the cigar lighter to release the front trunk
Old 03-12-2007, 03:43 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Originally Posted by Holli82
my battery died a couple of months ago. the psm light came on for about 5 miles and then went off on its on. i understand that this may be normal.

normal you get a fault for the steering angle sensor
it re calibrates after you drive a complete circle

Quick Reply: Dead battery--help!