Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 year lease vs. long term finance

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 05:09 PM
DerivativesGuy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Historical average of US broad based stock indices is around 7% (think s and p and dow). Thats about 5 percent on an after tax basis (less if you assume the reduced capital gains tax rates wont last). Remember, we have only had reduced tax gains rates for about 10 years now (thanks to a Republican congress which is now gone). If you can get better, thats great but not sure you should count on it lasting.

My point about financing is that if you are using it to purchase something you can afford and that "something" is a depreciating financial asset, then this is simply a terrible long term financial plan.

To each his own. If one wants to lever up and buy toys, feel free. Not a very good measure of wealth in my book.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:12 PM
DerivativesGuy
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911Dave
What historical figures are you basing this argument on? The only relevant analysis takes into account today's numbers and the projections over the anticipated life of the loan. As an example, I just bought my car with a 6.15% 4-year loan. On a pre-tax basis, my portfolio needs to generate a roughly 7.7% return, figuring a mix of ST and LT cap gains and dividends (for which tax rates are capped at lower than marginal), in order to break even. Historically, "the" (I'll get to this in a moment) stock market has returned better than 10% over many decades. Obviously, anything can happen over the next 4 years and I could end up losing the bet. But I estimate that risk to be minimal so I chose to borrow the money and stay fully invested.

There is no such thing as "the stock market". There are many stock markets around the globe. Nobody should be investing in just one of them. And even if you're talking about the U.S. markets, the historical rate of return is for the market as a whole, which includes all the losers as well as the winners. An individual who pays attention to their portfolio and takes the time do minimal research should be able to trounce the U.S. market (as a whole) reasonably consistently (as I have done).

A lot of people seem to have adopted this mantra because they hear other people saying it. They believe it is even worse to finance a depreciating asset. The fact is that it is irrelevant how you pay for it - the car will depreciate exactly the same amount regardless. The car purchase and the financing method are two completely different transactions (except in the case of a lease that can be deducted as a business expense). It's a bad financial move to spend money on anything that you don't need to survive, generally speaking. It would be a bad financial move to spend money on a washing machine, a tropical vacation, new clothes, a computer, a plasma TV, or anything else that depreciates FAR MORE than a Porsche on a percentage basis (which is just about everything under the sun).
" An individual who pays attention to their portfolio and takes the time do minimal research should be able to trounce the U.S. market (as a whole) reasonably consistently (as I have done)."

Hate to break it to you but most professional money managers barely beat the s and p or dow over the long haul. Thinking you can consistently "trounce" the market reminds me of a story about Joe Kennedy:

Old Joe didnt lose a dime in the crash on black monday. turns out he pulled all of his money out of the market about 3 weeks before the crash after his shoe shine boy started giving him stock tips and talking about the market.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:06 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DerivativesGuy
Hate to break it to you but most professional money managers barely beat the s and p or dow over the long haul.
That's because they are forced to behave in ways that are not conducive to maximizing returns. They manage multi-billion dollar diversified portfolios that are too large to take advantage of smaller opportunities without influencing stock prices themselves. Hell, most of them are so large they'd have to buy an entire company to capitalize on big price moves in small stocks. Also, they are bound by their charters to maintain cash reserves to meet redemption demands, but also have to stay almost fully invested almost all of the time even during market downturns. Additionally, most of them are moderately restricted from buying stocks outside their stated investment objective, even when their sectors or industries go cold.

It has also been proven countless times that professionally managed portfolios do not beat portfolios of randomly chosen stocks over the same period more than 50% of the time. There is also no indication whatsoever that professional money managers are better stock pickers than amateurs. People assume these things incorrectly all the time.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:14 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Historical average of US broad based stock indices is around 7% (think s and p and dow).
Nope, it's 10-11%. But that doesn't matter - I do not buy the whole market and I don't pick stocks and mutual funds at random. What matters is the rate of return on MY portfolio vs. the cost of my leverage.

This strategy may not work for most others but it certainly has for me.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:12 PM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

Nope, it's 10-11%. But that doesn't matter - I do not buy the whole market and I don't pick stocks and mutual funds at random. What matters is the rate of return on MY portfolio vs. the cost of my leverage.

Actually, you're both right. 10-11% is the nominal rate of return, since right before the great depression, and 7% is the real rate of return (adjusting for inflation). I agree with everything said about fund managers - I'm in index funds. Indexes we're only beaten by 20% of the fund managers last year. And...I stand by my earlier statement - debt is cheaper than equity. No matter how you slice it, over time, you are better letting your money work for you while you borrow for purchases. BTW, I don't follow my own advice for purely emotional reasons - being in debt makes me queasy. But, I also respect those that have said they want a P-car now, not later.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:42 PM
DerivativesGuy
Instructor

OK Boss if you say so. I spend lots of time on wall street (like 12 hrs per day) so guess I have no idea what I am talking about.

Anway, if indeed you consistently beat the market (which you incorectly assume averges 10-11% on a "real" net of inflation basis), and on an after tax basis you excceed the return of your car loans, then sign me up. you can earn 2% and 20% (management and incentive fees). Start your own firm or sign up with a star hedge fund manager.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:01 AM
oalvarez
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

2% and 20%......sounds like another hedge fund waiting to implode.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:32 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

which you incorectly assume averges 10-11% on a "real" net of inflation basis
When did I say anything about net of inflation?

Besides, inflation doesn't need to be considered when comparing rates of return on investment vs. loan cost in this example, because both sets of cash flows are discounted at the same rate. The timing of the positives and negatives skew the equation a little, but they too are irrelevant because I'm going to trounce "the" market again this year.

I'm done now. I'm going driving.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:21 PM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

to put a bit of a spin on things, i make about 15-18% cash on cash on my RE investments after expenses...

anyone feel free to PM me about a 10% guaranteed investment secured by RE...
Old 04-22-2007, 11:07 PM
SciFrog
Racer

BS

Long term you won't. Sad but true. Read this thread, there are some smart people who know what they are talking about. And if you could really make the kind of return you talk about, you wouldn't be driving a Cayman, you would have a full time driver.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:30 AM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

Originally Posted by P-Car fanatic
What times does the infomercial air? :-)
Old 04-23-2007, 08:17 PM
DerivativesGuy
Instructor

Originally Posted by P-Car fanatic
to put a bit of a spin on things, i make about 15-18% cash on cash on my RE investments after expenses...

oh brother.....

Quick Reply: 3 year lease vs. long term finance