Sponsored by:

997 ergonomic design reflections

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 09:19 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by THPorsche
Shouldn't the key hole on the right hand side?
*GASP* Blasphemy!
Old 05-03-2007, 09:20 PM
chbj
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I take buttons any time over touch screens or iDrive-like systems. After a couple of weeks i my 997 I found the most frequently used buttons without looking down.

I agree however that the menu structure for audio and nav could be improved, but after a year even that is not really an issue any more.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:10 PM
icruze
Racer

I like the phone pad for the preset radio stations. It is in a perfect location for the driver and I can go through all ten presets without looking at them once as the "5" has the indentation that you can feel.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:30 PM
N2XSSPD
Rennlist Member

Anyone not satisified with the "driving position"--I mean getting the steering wheel adjusted so I'm not too far away is nearly impossible without my left knee hitting the steering wheel when clutching, even with the steering wheel fully out and in the up postion. I'm 6'1/2", any solutions to this or is this just the way it is. Maybe the Germans have shorter legs and longer arms.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:28 PM
dD/dt
Racer

Originally Posted by Edgy01
If you knew where some of the controls USED to be on the 911 what we have today is a quantum leap of an improvement. Ask old-timers where the sunroof rocker switch used to be. Remember,--you're talking about Porsche here. They have always seen themselves as perfect.
This is so true. I had an '88. I never did figure out the HVAC system. It used a system of 2 levers, 4 sliders, and two *****, and all were marked clearly with Deutscheheiroglyphikan. Once I found the sunroof switch, I used that and the windows for climate control.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:04 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by dD/dt
This is so true. I had an '88. I never did figure out the HVAC system. It used a system of 2 levers, 4 sliders, and two *****, and all were marked clearly with Deutscheheiroglyphikan. Once I found the sunroof switch, I used that and the windows for climate control.
Ah Yes!! Memories from "71, "76, "92 was easier. "06 excellent IMHO!
Old 05-04-2007, 05:14 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nkhalidi
The rationale for the left-side key was that in Le Mans-style starts, the driver could leap in the car and, in one deft motion, insert the key in the starter. Nice bit of trivia.

Now, it becomes more natural if you open the door with your right hand while holding the key in your left. It always takes me a second to get back familiar with this motion when I get into a Porsche.
It's 'specially bad when you alternate between a Porsche, A BMW, and a Saab... half the time, the key ends up in the wrong hand / wrong place - at least initially.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:11 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Wrong side for gas Cap(used to my 964), Different trip computer functions, different Navigation operation, especially trying to use touch screen in the 997, it's fun getting older and switching cars frequently!!
Old 05-04-2007, 06:56 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree some of the controls could be more user friendly. How many times have you gone to use the turn signal and hit the function leaver? I don't drive the car enough to worry about more than the basic stuff though.

Quick Reply: 997 ergonomic design reflections