Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do 993 owners have a superiority complex?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 08:36 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DerivativesGuy
No stereotyping here . simpy asked the question. Seems to me you are the one stereotyping.
Oh and by the way Icon, my question seem to have opened an interesting and engaging (and certainly friendly) dialogue. So back off buddy.
LOL! you may not have stereotyped, but you asked a question that if answered yes or no, would be stereotyping.
i made no stereotype!
"back off buddy"? he! he! you sure are sensitive and bossy!
btw, i meant no offense . . . just needling you!

Originally Posted by OCBen
No, that would mean buying a Carrera GT, if you followed my argument.
the thing about headlights is oem's are stuck w/ trying to maintain a look.
the new headlights they don't need near the opening that we are accustomed to seeing.
but it would look kind of funny w/ little bitty headlights!?
Old 05-12-2007, 09:24 PM
DerivativesGuy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by icon
LOL! you may not have stereotyped, but you asked a question that if answered yes or no, would be stereotyping.
i made no stereotype!
"back off buddy"? he! he! you sure are sensitive and bossy!
btw, i meant no offense . . . just needling you!

the thing about headlights is oem's are stuck w/ trying to maintain a look.
the new headlights they don't need near the opening that we are accustomed to seeing.
but it would look kind of funny w/ little bitty headlights!?
easy there icon....
Old 05-19-2007, 07:31 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

it was fun to read this thread... i only found one post out of the 7 pages outright goofy and that was Statman's reference to Kelly Blue Book for widebody 993s... yeah, you find some in the $20s, and I will buy 3 or 4...

As for the superiority complex thing, yeah maybe a bit about the marque and the history and enthusiast thing... i have personally counted (literally) 12 instances of driving by 997s and waving with no response... that has never happened to me when I drive by an aircooled Porsche... never... says something about the enthusiast thing, I think... however, the 997 owners on this board are probably an exception to this observation
Old 05-20-2007, 09:52 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
i have personally counted (literally) 12 instances of driving by 997s and waving with no response... that has never happened to me when I drive by an aircooled Porsche... never... says something about the enthusiast thing, I think... however, the 997 owners on this board are probably an exception to this observation
Just yesterday I drove by a couple of 993s and waved with no reply... I think some people just don't know the "etiquette". I have a 997 because now is the first time I've been able to afford a new 911. A 993 and a 964 are in my future.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:54 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
Just yesterday I drove by a couple of 993s and waved with no reply... I think some people just don't know the "etiquette". I have a 997 because now is the first time I've been able to afford a new 911. A 993 and a 964 are in my future.
I totally agree... I don't think p-etiquette discriminates between air-cooled/water-cooled, front/rear engine etc etc.
I would say that only 10% of p-cars around here waive back...very sad.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:38 PM
SeaJeff
Instructor

Originally Posted by Coochas
I totally agree... I don't think p-etiquette discriminates between air-cooled/water-cooled, front/rear engine etc etc.
I would say that only 10% of p-cars around here waive back...very sad.

That is sad- 2 years ago I found most pcars I passed would wave or return my wave- much different than now with my BMW. BMW drivers ~never~ wave. Pcar on the otherhand i found always friendly. I really do miss the pcar esprit de corps and it would be sad if 911 rivalry spoiled that. Now, I did find Boxter/Cayenne owners to not wave as much.....
Old 05-20-2007, 05:41 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

When i drove around town in my 356 people waved often.Now that i most regrettably sold it and bought my carrera...big difference.I flash my lights often cause im enthusiastic about the car but here in palm beach county if one out of 20 flash back its suprising.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:34 PM
lexpilot
Racer

When I had my 993 I felt the posters on the Rennlist 993 board had about 20% of the posters who had no sense of humour, whatsoever. Those few bashed the earlier oil cooled cars and 996 cars in general. Those boys engage in 50% more arguments than the 996 board posters. I don't miss them at all nor do I miss my 993.
As for me I agree my 993 was a more sexy car with a visceral sound. The 996 is a so much better car than the 993. The 996 is much easier to get in and out of, had greatly improved passenger and trunk room, is much more comfortable on a trip and is a much quicker car that handles better. The 993 handled well but the 996 with #220, #222, and #224 is idiot proof.
I just got a new 997 C4S cabriolet and it is probably as much an improvement over the 1999 996 as the 1999 coupe was over the 1995 coupe.
Any of these 1995 and newer Carreras is a hoot to drive every day. A go kart with an air conditioner for the street.
Frankly, I think the 996 is the bargain of the bunch. 1999 cars will depreciate slowly from here, too, partly buoyed by the fanatic 993 oil cooled bunch that will keep their prices firm.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:45 PM
M491
Racer

Originally Posted by lexpilot
As for me I agree my 993 was a more sexy car with a visceral sound. The 996 is a so much better car than the 993. The 996 is much easier to get in and out of, had greatly improved passenger and trunk room, is much more comfortable on a trip
yeah, sexiness and viceral sound and feel are overrated! My prime criteria for my 911s is how easy they are to get in and out of. Along with passenger and trunk room. Trunk room, that's one of the first think I check in Consumer Reports. Trip comfort's big too. A 911 must be comfortable.

Originally Posted by lexpilot
but the 996 with #220, #222, and #224 is idiot proof.
sounds like you found the perfect car for yourself!
Old 05-21-2007, 02:14 AM
lexpilot
Racer

M491,
Your comments are the type that I found more often on the 993 board than the 996 board.
Your comment infers that I am an idiot. Idiots do not amass the kind of net worth that I have.
The advantage of all of those unimportant features such as trunk room and comfort allows me to drive my 996 about 50% more than the 993.
By the way , you are not the only gym rat on this forum. I've been a lifter 5 days a week since 1981. I imagine there are others on this forum as well.
Don't assume you're the best lifter either just as you should not assume that the other guy is an idiot.
An important lesson in life is to operate under the assumption that the other guy is smarter, stronger, and faster and your own results will improve.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:23 AM
Duane993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 993 is the last and the best of the breed. Aircooled, light weight, real VDO gauges, funky HAVC, pedals through the floor, full framed doors, rain gutters. A body style that basically never changed since the first 911 was introduced. It saved Porsche from going bankrupt more than a few times. Yes 993 owners do have a superiority complex and it's rightfully deserved. Most of them you'll have to pry the steering wheel from their dying grip.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:30 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Now gentlemen, calm down. 993s are beautiful cars. So are 997s. Personally, I would drive a 997. However, I'd take a 930 over either of them

I think the reason some of you older owners don't get the "wave" back anymore is because with the introduction of the Boxster and Cayenne, the Porsche line lost a little of its exclusivity. Before those cars came out, P-car owners were almost a fraternity due to their limited numbers. It was astonishing to see another of the cars on the same road as you. However, with the mass production of those models (I realize that my personal car was mass-produced as well, but how many 944s do you see on the road today?) almost anyone with some spare change can have a Porsche. I have come across many a Boxster owner who, when asked about their car, replies "it's just a car", not realizing what really comes with the marque they have chosen to drive.

I am young at 17 and realize I have an enormous privilege to be able to have a Porsche as my daily driver. I had to work hard to earn it though, just like lexpilot did to get his large net worth. I also realize that although I missed quite alot of the heritage us owners are so proud of, I can still revel in the glory that comes from the Porsche name.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:31 AM
M491
Racer

infers?
Old 05-21-2007, 02:35 AM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I respect those 993's...

So, I was driving home from work tonight on Route 3S in Mass as it was just starting to get dark(still light), and I saw a gorgeous jet black 993 coupe coming up behind me with those double windshield wipers, it was like I was on the Autobahn on a rainy evening. Damn that 993 has a beautiful profile. I don’t think Porsche will ever create a car so sweet. It’s smaller than the 997, and I think the size, stance, and shape combine to make it look better than anything out there today including the 997. I must have one, a coupe S. It takes a lot for a guy like me having had 3 997’s lately, one a Turbo to be jealous, but that 993 sure put me in my place.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:51 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

I still like a real 911 and the 997.

Quick Reply: Do 993 owners have a superiority complex?