Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine hesitation after sitting in the sun?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 12:02 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Engine hesitation after sitting in the sun?

2006 997S - 1250 miles and just over 1/4 tank of gas that's probably 6 weeks old. I know I know...too low of miles. Trust me, this winter in Colorado was brutal and the car wasn't driven all that much. It's getting driven a lot more now.

Anyways the car has been running perfectly...until yesterday.

I drove from my house (garaged) to my office (underground garage) that's about 10 miles and the car ran fine.
At lunch I left the underground garage and did some errands for about 10 miles and returned to the garage. Car ran fine.
Around 3:00 PM, I left the underground garage and went to another building about 5 miles away for a meeting and left the car outside in the sun. It was about 75 degrees and bright sunshine.

When I left that building about 90 minutes later, my car ran like S^*!. As I would increase the rpm's it started hesitating and I started slightly jerking forward and backward in my seat. It happened the worst when I was accelerating, but I could feel it slightly when I was at cruising speed. I made it home and parked it in my garage because my wife and I had plans.

This morning, the car seems to driving normally again. On my way to work I stopped and filled it up at the gas station just to be sure I didn't have some bad gas. The car is now parked in my underground.

Any ideas?
Could the car sitting out in the warm sun with some older gas in the tank cause a problem? Could I have some moisture in my gas tank?
Any suggestions on how to repair this? Should I just take it to the dealer?

Thanks!
Old 05-09-2007, 12:05 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

This is the same symptom that others (including myself once) have encountered. I suspect Porsche is working on this (but not sharing quite yet!)
Old 05-09-2007, 12:11 PM
etmorcus
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this problem so badly and so intermittedly that I began the lemon law process. The Porsche dealer kept saying they fixed it, until one day I was driving to work, and it began doing it. I drove right to the dealer and have a technician jump in the car. Suffice it to say, I demanded that Porsche get involved. the regional sales and service rep came out from so Cal.
The final result is that there is an issue with the drive by wire setting with the throttle.
Porsche knows about it and can fix it, if you get tthem involved. This is a huge safety issue as I reminded them of it, before Porsche realized I was serious.
5000 miles later, my car is perfect. The first 2500 miles were UGLY. I almost got rid of the vehicle...
Good luck!
Eric
Old 05-10-2007, 12:47 AM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it reoccurs discuss the throttle sensor with the dealer. In most cases this is a one time thing. I have had no reoccurance in 7k miles. It happened to me the one time I used Sunoco rather than Texaco but others have reported no obvious relationship with a specific gasoline brand. Do a search under "hesitation" or the like for more here. Peculiar little gremlin.....
Old 05-10-2007, 01:00 AM
icruze
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a recent thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/262872-car-fluttering-today.html

Quick Reply: Engine hesitation after sitting in the sun?