Sponsored by:

great lease deals on new base 997

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 12:56 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I'm OK with receiving the title and passing it along to a buyer...but in a previous post nobody on this forum was able to tell me if PFS will leave the buyers name blank on a CA title to make this possible. The way it's been explained to me, I'd have to pay off, register, pay taxes, and wait for title on my car first before selling it to a 3rd party.

If you don't register the car why would you have to pay taxes??

They collect the sales tax here in Ca. during registration, I don't remember if my name was on the title now. I have done this twice with BMWFS (for my 01 and 04 M3).

Dave
Old 06-07-2007, 01:59 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

If the car is paid off, and PFS releases the title with my name typed on it as the buyer, I don't see any way around registering the car in my name (and paying taxes) before selling it to a third party.

No one here was able to confirm or deny PFS would release a CA title 'blank' (and PFS customer service was no help).
Old 06-08-2007, 02:10 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
If the car is paid off, and PFS releases the title with my name typed on it as the buyer, I don't see any way around registering the car in my name (and paying taxes) before selling it to a third party.

No one here was able to confirm or deny PFS would release a CA title 'blank' (and PFS customer service was no help).
You never know what a leasing company may do, but no lessor should release a title endorsed in blank, as that is (among other things) punishible by criminal sanctions. That's not to say it isn't done, but I'm betting the folks in the title department never asked their attorneys whether they should send out titles with the transferee's name blank.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:15 PM
Einstein
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1000$/mth x 36 mths = $36,000. Hmmmm! deal or no deal?????
Old 06-09-2007, 01:45 AM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Einstein
1000$/mth x 36 mths = $36,000. Hmmmm! deal or no deal?????
I'm still surprised at how some of my friends still think leasing is money down the drain. It's easy to view a lease simply as renting a car for three years for a flat fee where you get nothing at the end. But depending on your needs, current money factor, residual, and term it's just another way to get a car. Assume you keep a car for three years. The fair market value of a car will likely be the same if you had bought or leased it. If you leased the car you can just return it which you'd likely do if the market value is actually less than the payoff. If there's equity in it than you could sell it yourself or trade it in to get some of the equity out of it. I tracked bmw money factors for a while. There was a time when the 335i sedan (don't like the design either) was .0014 or about 3.36% interest with something like a 60% residual. It would have been tough to find a car loan that low.

I rarely keep a car for more than three years and am not at a point where I should be using cash to be buying cars outright. That's why I always look to see if there's a lease deal first. If it's better than current finance deals and I think (completely guessing) in about 2 years I can sell it for near the buyout price, than I lease. You pay lease fees but you don't pay sales tax on the full purchase price either. Leases have some benefits.

Last edited by daddyscar; 06-09-2007 at 02:27 AM.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:23 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,489 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave07997S
This is the way BMW is...I sold my M3 in Feb. which was financed by BMWFS. They will also only deal with the lessee or a dealer as well. The buyer gave me the agreed asking price, I send the payoff amount to BMWFS and they send me the title. Wasn't an issue for my buyer as he had possession of the car. When the title arrived I signed off on it and sent it to him..only real draw back is the buyer has to wait 4 weeks until he registers the car. Also swaplease handles this as well, I had a ton of offers on my M3 through swap lease as there was only 9 mos. left on the contract.

Dave
if you are in CA, when you buy it off the lessor, you have to pay tax. when you sign over the title to the buyer, he pays tax again. that's what i was told. is that right?
Old 06-09-2007, 03:37 AM
Stephenkng
Racer

You will pay sale tax on the residual value of the lease car at the end of the lease if you decide to keep it. I believe you have to pay off the residual that including the sale tax before they send the title back to you. At that time you can decide to keep it or sell it. I hope this help
Old 06-09-2007, 03:42 AM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
if you are in CA, when you buy it off the lessor, you have to pay tax. when you sign over the title to the buyer, he pays tax again. that's what i was told. is that right?
Yes. I sold my leased car to a private buyer. I didn't have to pay the sales tax on the buyout, the buyer did.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:51 PM
Lozzy997
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure why Daddyscar said yes and then completely contradicted your statement ;-)

He is correct with his statement though, although the DMV don't always know their own rules.

It's called use tax not sales tax.

I paid off a lease with a view to selling the car and the DMV charged me use tax (plus a penalty as the lessor took too much time to get me the paperwork). I was in the credit union with my buyer and they told me that was wrong, I appealed and got my money back. My buyer had to pay the use tax. I think you have 10 days to sell the car after paying off the lease to avoid the use tax.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:44 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lozzy997
Not sure why Daddyscar said yes and then completely contradicted your statement ;-)

He is correct with his statement though, although the DMV don't always know their own rules.

It's called use tax not sales tax.
That was either the second glass of port or the effect of 'the force'. George Lucas drove by a couple weeks ago in his green s55 (older body, must be time for a new star wars special edition dvd). I swear the original message read, "if you are in CA, when you buy it off the lessor, you don't pay tax. when you sign over the title to the buyer, he pays tax.'. : )
Old 06-10-2007, 12:07 AM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

I sold 2 M3's this way without paying sales tax here in Ca. with no detrimental effect from the State's FTB.

Dave

Quick Reply: great lease deals on new base 997