Sponsored by:

Replacing the 997 Windshield created a noice

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 03:28 AM
rzundel
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing the 997 Windshield created a noice

I unfortunately caught some debris on the frwy and had to replace my windshield on my new 997 C4s Cab. I had the dealer do it for about a grand. On my way home I noticed a "wind" noice created by the windshield. Is it possible that I have a leak in the seal? They did install a new seal at the time of installation.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:33 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Entirely possible. Keep bringing it back until it's fixed. This is true whether it be a $200,000 car or a $2,000 car.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:42 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem before when I replaced windshields on my P-cars.

I brought my car to the mechanic, and they checked if there was any leak using some kind of ultrasonic probe(?). There was no leask at all around the windshield.

In my cases, the wind noise was not from any leak, but was because when they installed the windshield, they put too much glue and the new windshield was actually 'raise' up a few mm from the frame.

Somehow the raised edge of the new windshield interfered the wind/airflow when I drove on freeway, and created the wind noise.

In another case, the raised windshield caused the wipers (which park on the surface of the windshield) to catch the wind/airflow, and created the wind noise.

Just my experienced...

With best regards,
Old 07-01-2007, 03:59 AM
rzundel
Instructor

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
I had the same problem before when I replaced windshields on my P-cars.

I brought my car to the mechanic, and they checked if there was any leak using some kind of ultrasonic probe(?). There was no leask at all around the windshield.

In my cases, the wind noise was not from any leak, but was because when they installed the windshield, they put too much glue and the new windshield was actually 'raise' up a few mm from the frame.

Somehow the raised edge of the new windshield interfered the wind/airflow when I drove on freeway, and created the wind noise.

In another case, the raised windshield caused the wipers (which park on the surface of the windshield) to catch the wind/airflow, and created the wind noise.

Just my experienced...

With best regards,
Great insight! This sounds more logical to me than a leak. It creates a wind noice starting around 40 mph. I will be sure to mention this to the dealer.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:08 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

There is a TSB standing for the 997 for windscreen trim. It was noted very early in the lifecycle and was apparently eliminated with the '06 models.

That being said, have the shop look for TSB # 6414 (4/04). Involves using some butyl sealing tape underneath the trim lip at the top of the A-pillars.

Good luck!

-don
Old 01-15-2010, 01:32 PM
igor.zaika
2nd Gear

Axhoaxho, I have a similar issue with a newley replace windshield (2007 C2S) where new windshield is raised compared to how the old windshield was seated and how windshields seems to be installed on a dozen or so other 997ss that I looked at.

Was this issue resolved for you and what was the resolution?
Old 01-15-2010, 02:25 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Windshield installations today are highly complex processes. It is one of the more automated processes in the production of the 997 because robots can do it more consistently than the best assemblers. As such, when it is time to replace one in the field it is never simple. They are a considerable factor in the structural rigidity of the car now as well. All areas are replaced, e.g., seals, so as to ensure a good seal. No one recycles anything anymore. Continue to report back to the dealership until it is done correctly. It's actually now a bigger safety issue and potential compromise if done incorrectly.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:33 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

This is a common problem with installing windshields on cars, in general. Just have them re-do it.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:56 AM
halsyknox
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I realize that this is an old thread. Can anyone confirm that the noise is like a kazoo? I bought my car used and the noise is not constant but at 70 and above it will absolutly drive you nuts. The TSB show the tape towards the upper part of the windshield. I think the noise on my car is coming around the passanger side right next to the mirror. I think the windshield may have been replaced in the past because the the edge of the glass can be seen as told in other threads. I took it to the dealer and as usual it didn't make the noise. I really don't like working with the dealer on this kind of thing. Does anyone have any more or new info on this wind noise?
Old 07-16-2011, 07:48 AM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many dealers sub out the glass work, so ask your local PCA chapter folks who they recommend for glass replacement, find the guy and have him do it at your house or his shop.

There is another thread on this (at least one). In it, I posted that when my windshield was replaced the guy left his suction grabbers on the windshield about 2/3 up from the bottom edge and tied a rope through them and then down to some weights alongside the car (with rags to prevent paint marring). Even though the glue sets up in a few minutes, he felt this held the windshield down until it was fully cured (overnight). I undid everything and returned the suction grabbers to him the next day. Perfect.

Then I got hit by a rock.

Quick Reply: Replacing the 997 Windshield created a noice