Sponsored by:

Fixing a Flat

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 03:11 PM
MMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RJA in VA
Queston for cviles or anyone else who may know... How does the sealant effect the TPMS sensor inside the wheel? Can the goo just be cleaned off the sensor or is it necessary to have it replaced?
Go to "beru.com" and learn all about the TPMS on our cars.

The sensors are built to be bullet proof (temp., pressure, moisture) so I doubt any effect by goo.

BTW, they are so bulletproof the battery is encased in the one piece body of the unit; there's no battery compartment, whole unit must be replaced when battery dies.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:40 PM
kw_1055
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stephenkng
Don't remove the nail/screw that may result in immediately flat. Take it to a tire shop and have them remove and repair it. Good Luck. By the way, I have five in the past 12 months.
Stephenkng, where do you take your tires for repair?
I took it to the local American Tire but they scratched the hell out out my wheel the last time
Maybe it was just that kid but.......

Anyone knows a good shop in the East Bay area?
Old 07-13-2007, 04:51 PM
Stephenkng
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a shop in Redwood City. I have my tire repair by them 4 times in the past year. 3 times on my right rear and 1 time on my left rear. I was concern about the scratching on the wheel as well but they were very good. I don't have the shop name with me now. Will post it when I return to the office for the name. I strongly recommand them
Old 07-13-2007, 05:13 PM
kw_1055
Instructor

Thanks for looking that up. I'll make the drive if they are that good.
Unless someone has a recommendation for a shop here in the east bay.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:49 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by kw_1055
Stephenkng, where do you take your tires for repair?
I took it to the local American Tire but they scratched the hell out out my wheel the last time
Maybe it was just that kid but.......
Took mine to a regional retail tire chain. Talked to manager about NOT scratching my wheel. He reassured me there'd be no scratches and even showed me the "no touch" mount/dismount machine.

Got my wheel back S C R A T C H E D ! ! ! ! ! !

Theory: they don't do enough alloy wheels to remember how to use the machine properly. Machine is NOT idiot proof.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:24 PM
Stephenkng
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KW_1055, it is call "Custom Alignment" in Mountain View and their # is 650-961-5311. If you mention to them to clean and remove the 'old weight", they will clean it so well that it won't even show the marking on it. As I said ealier, I have 4 repairs from them and can't be more satify. I live in SF and even drove all the way down to Mountain View for them. Call and check them out. Good luck.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:39 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Yikes. You really should put some kind of warning about the gruesome pictures included in this thread.

I'm feeling pretty good about having a spare in my car after seeing that mess.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:44 AM
george_k
Instructor

I have used the "deluxe" string type plug kits many times on all of my vehicles with no problems. They sell the kits at any auto parts store like Autozone or PepBoys. First thing I did with my C2S was get a new one and throw it into my tool kit in the trunk, along with a small portable compressor with alligator clips that I can put right onto the battery terminals.
Fix a Flat is usually a waste of time and a mess as well, porsche tire Goop I would think is the same.
Can't believe that porsche includes that stuff with the car.
I have the Emergency spare on order as well. If you get a curb or pothole gash, possibly with dented rim, no plug kit or goop is going to help, thats when the emergency spare wil save the day.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:19 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have used Fix-a-flat in the past on flat tires and never, ever had them fixed. The tires lasted just as long as the others on the car and never leaked air.

I have also had several tires plugged from the outside and not one of them ever leaked again.

I have driven thousands of miles with nails/screws in the tire treads with no issues whatsoever. I find no reason to remove them if they're not causing a leak.

Unless you're stressing your tires at a level only seen in competition, all this talk of replacing tires and other expensive fixes because of a puncture is, in my opinion, silly.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:39 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by 911Dave
I have used Fix-a-flat in the past on flat tires and never, ever had them fixed. The tires lasted just as long as the others on the car and never leaked air.

I have also had several tires plugged from the outside and not one of them ever leaked again.

I have driven thousands of miles with nails/screws in the tire treads with no issues whatsoever. I find no reason to remove them if they're not causing a leak.

Unless you're stressing your tires at a level only seen in competition, all this talk of replacing tires and other expensive fixes because of a puncture is, in my opinion, silly.
I basically agree. USA-speed highway driving: no problem. I have DIY-plugged many of my wife's right rear tires on a Sunday night (turns too close to curbs). She never gets them fixed properly and yet never has had a problem.

One thing I would do? When the car is in for service tell them to "properly" fix the tire. By doing so you're conveniently reducing the small amount of risk even smaller.

Old 07-16-2007, 04:06 PM
kw_1055
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stephenkng
KW_1055, it is call "Custom Alignment" in Mountain View and their # is 650-961-5311. If you mention to them to clean and remove the 'old weight", they will clean it so well that it won't even show the marking on it. As I said ealier, I have 4 repairs from them and can't be more satify. I live in SF and even drove all the way down to Mountain View for them. Call and check them out. Good luck.

Thank you. I'll give them a call.

Quick Reply: Fixing a Flat