Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Protective Bra

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 09:53 AM
Jakeman
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Living in NJ, it seemed like a necessity. The downside of using 3m is that the material cannot cover the entire hood. So the edges of the hood closest to the doors is exposed leaving a fairly visible line. There also are seams around the bumper cover, around the air intakes for the AC (my installer did not want to put too much tension on the material).

On the upside, it's easy to care for and I have no worries about driving on the 95, GSP, etc...

J
Old 07-13-2007, 05:10 PM
Paladin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DanR
Thanks, will give them a call. How much have people paid on here for the same treatment?
I have an appt at Detailing Dynamics on August 1st for a clear bra install on my 997s cab guards red. They will be covering:
front bumper
fender wings
headlights (14 mil. material)
fog lights
90% hood (no seam)
front wheel arch
rear wheel arch
side sills incl. shark fin and door steps

Price - $1890.

It's a lot of dough, but it's a custom install and I've spoken with an owner and an installer there and they were both very knowlegeable and passionate about their work. They have some excellent recommendations here (on rennlist) and take a look at their shop and some of their work at this link - detailing dynamics. Very impressive stuff.

I'd rather pay a little more and get it right the first time. We all know that it's all about the the install with this product.

I'll report back with pictures and comments.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:25 AM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Deanski
See this link for install pictures done at Detailing Dynamics on a black 997.

Detailing Dynamics Film Install on black 997

I myself also having a black 997 find the film a requirement,

Looks good, hard to detect unless close-up.

Regards,
Deanski
I was going to look for that thread and post the link -- but you beat me to it!

Now, over a year after that install, I do have a few nits that I'll share. First, I wish I could've done the rest of the hood -- a couple of track events and the 2/3rds of my hood that's not covered have their share of rock chips. I've seen other people who've done their hood in two pieces, and while up close it may not look as good, I think I'd've rather done that than see chips.

Second, the clear bra seems to "absorb" debris -- i.e., it's looks a bit "mottled" close up, and definitely has some dull spots. I mentioned it a couple of months ago to the guys at DD, and they told me to bring it in for them to take a look. This is not a knock on DD or the 3M film they used -- it seems a couple of my friends who've had their clear bras for awhile have similar problems with different films, installers, etc. I've tried Plexus and other products to no avail. If this gets worse, I'm considering have DD re-do my clear bra entirely.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:36 AM
Paladin
Advanced

I figure that the clear bra is probably good for one to five years depending upon how accepting I want to be of the nicks that it will acquire protecting my paint. If I become bothered by its appearance I'll have sections replaced or just have the whole thing removed and I'll be no worse off in terms of the protection of the front end from nicks than I am today. I don't see a downside besides the cost. The upside is that I'll be more likely to use the car in situations where I may not have without the clear bra.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:37 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 328 Posts

Just had my TT done by Matt and team at Detailing Dynamics. I have always hated clear bras as I "like the feel of paint" LOL! I know, i'm nuts. Howerver, I am thrilled I did it and they did a great job.

The other nice thing about going there is it's like going to a minnie car show. Went over there the other day and saw: white Lambo Gallardo, Red F430, red 360 and red 599. The 599 had the most amazing interior of any car i've ever seen
Old 07-14-2007, 12:55 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm not very experienced w/ various 'clear bra' materials but I don't think I've ever seen an installation that didn't have a 'mottled' or 'orange peal' look. Furthermore my eyes tend to quickly go to the end seam which is a negative (IMHO). I guess thats why I've never been a big fan of them.

I guess if you track or drive in areas that are prone to debri you can rationalize the investment. I think the tradeoff between cost, appearance and function have to be weighed.

I use a Colgan bra & mirror covers on my 997S but only when I'm spending time on the road or freeway. It certainly isn't invisable like clear bras but it offers great protection, fits well w/o scuffing the paint finish and is pretty quick/easy to put on & take off. It's design is pretty good as well w/ respect to staying put at high speeds. I haven't noticed any wind induced flapping or buffeting at speed. I know you need to be carefull regarding moisture but in So. Cal. we seldom see moisture (what's rain?). It's a small fraction of the cost compared to clear bras.

Bottom Line . . . . Do what ever floats your boat!
Old 07-14-2007, 01:06 PM
MMD
Banned

Maybe just accept the facts of life. The car's gonna get stone chips. Ask what is more of a PITA to you, seeing a beat up clearbra and the resulting lines from edges of plastic and lines from beginning of stone chips OR a uniformly chipped paint job that can eventually be re-sprayed (or nicely retouched) when you get around to it?

The car's meant for driving and not a museum piece, though it's nice to take reasonable care and keep it new-looking for as long as possible.

Another factor? When you just get your car you're verrrry protective of it and MAY go to great lengths to "conserve" it

(it's an endorphin or hormonal surge/imbalance).

After having mine for almost three years I still park it with consideration for door dings but don't care too much if it's a bit dirty or paint-chipped.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:12 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Look at it this way.

Road induced paint chips are really 'battle scars'.

Show them proudly!

Old 07-14-2007, 03:00 PM
DanR
Drifting

Thanks for the help guys, decided for the extra cost it is worth it. Hopefully pick the car up this coming Wednesday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait
Old 07-14-2007, 03:21 PM
SB
Instructor

I highly recomment Nelson from Clear Image (973 207-7000). I picked up my 997s in december and had a complete bra put on the car by him.

His quote was way better then Detailing Dynamics and he was recommended by fellow Rennlisters.

The quality of work is superb and he is as good as Detailing Dynamics guys(my last car was done there).

As a bonus, he installed in a few extra pieces for free.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:30 PM
MMD
Banned

How about this?

Because our bumpers are soft material they rarely seem to get chipped.

So the hood is all that really is vulnerable.

Is it possible to DIY clearbra the flat expanse of the lower 12-18 inches of the hood and have it look professional?
Old 07-14-2007, 11:26 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
How about this?

Is it possible to DIY clearbra the flat expanse of the lower 12-18 inches of the hood and have it look professional?
It's probably possible, but also probably not as easy as it looks, even for just the hood which is probably the easiest part. Also, although the bumpers are soft and won't ding, I'll bet the paint on them will chip.

A friend of mine has a black Honda S2K that is a couple of years old. He didn't have a clear bra put on it when he bought it, and the lower 12-18' of the hood were chipped up like crazy from normal highway driving. 95% of the chips were right where a clear bra would be. He recently had it touched up, and put a bra on it. Looks 100% better.

From my experience with multiple clear bras, 100% of how it ends up looking is the installer's skill.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:32 AM
SB
Instructor

Believe me, you'll be in tears after a year or two if you do any sort of highway driving. Plus, your residual will be higher on clearbra unchipped car vs chipped or repainted bumper car.

And do yourself a favor and get the bra installed professionally, it is a tricky process.

Also, don't wait until you get stone chips and then get the film, it is best applied to unchipped paint.

Originally Posted by MMD
How about this?

Old 07-15-2007, 11:56 AM
RAKLAW
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I try to avoid I-95 at any cost but last Saturday on a trip to the shore, I didn't want to waste all the time and traffic on US1. A truck kicked up a limestone type chunk of crap that I heard clunk of the passenger front. Upon examination it just caught the rear of the front wheel well which I have the film on. A damp cloth cleaned off the spot. No mark, no ding. Amazing stuff. I would never consider not installing a bra here in the NE area.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:39 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

I haven't found either of these statements to be true, based on my experiences with several Porsches and other sports cars. None of which were garage queens...

Originally Posted by SB
Believe me, you'll be in tears after a year or two if you do any sort of highway driving. Plus, your residual will be higher on clearbra unchipped car vs chipped or repainted bumper car.

Quick Reply: Protective Bra