Sponsored by:

Which would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 11:16 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Which would you choose?

Cross-posting in 997 and Cayman forums to get each group of owners' opinions...

I am pondering the next P-car and it's pretty much narrowed down to either a Carrera or a Cayman S. When I did the exact build I want for each (same options basically), the Carrera is $87K and the Cayman S is $75K.

Now which one would you guys go for and why? I have my own reasons why I would pick either, but I'm curious to see what you guys think.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:01 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It comes down to... does your heart wants a Porsche, or does your heart wants a 911?

This is not a logical decision (e.g. price difference), but an emtional decision. You choose the 911 because it makes your heart happy, you choose the Cayman because it makes more logical sense.

With best regards,
Old 07-24-2007, 12:03 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Chris I would go for the Cayman S. With the right options and if you do any aftermarket mods it will walk away for a Carrera and at the right track could do the same against the S version. Have you seen the new Porsche Tequipment for the Cayman yet?
Old 07-24-2007, 12:34 AM
gr8330
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you mod the Carrera it will walk away from the moded Cayman. I have owned both and I'm back into a Carrera. I found it confining inside. The motor sounds great inside but sounds a lot different when you listen to the sound outside. Your money you choice not ours unless you think we will think less of you if you buy the Cayman. That’s the only reason I think your asking that question. Please yourself and the people that don't agree with your decision...screw um. Good luck with your decision
Old 07-24-2007, 12:36 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

I was in a similar position recently. Only I'm a convertible man. My head wanted a Boxster S. But my heart wanted a Carrera cab. If I bought the Boxster, I knew I would always wish I had the 911. That was the defining moment for me when I chose the 911. I've never looked back. I have never once wished that I chose the Boxster instead.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:03 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two people were discussing the 997 and the Cayman. One of them said the 997 was better. The other one said the Cayman was better.

They were both right.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:18 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Getting the itch again hey Chris?

I vote 997.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:51 AM
hjluvjj
Advanced

I thought about getting Cayman when I started looking P-car. However I bought 997 since I knew it's the P-car I have wanted for long time and I would regret if I got Cayman.

I guess your case is totally different. My understanding is that you have previously owned 997 C2S. Having that said, I think you could go with Cayman S to experience different type of P-car.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:30 AM
Streamlined
Instructor

I've walked that road and, although I haven't purchased a Porsche yet, I've set my sights on the 997 for practial as well as subjective and less tangible benefits in spite of the higher price.

Although some scoff at the tiny jump seats their existance is a real factor in the car's favor, the truth is that it is very useful for the added passenger capability (I tried it for a ride and was alright back there; for a shorter ride I, or someone, really could pop back there as needed) and we do like to take our dog along for day trips so the back seating makes all the difference there.

Then there are certain options we want, adding them to the Cayman makes the already pricey for its segment (strangely more then its same engined sibling as well as being more expensive then 2 seat competitors like the M Coupe) and a seeming certainty to lose more on the resale then the same options on the 911 (and since we are considering a C2s things like xenons and pasm are included). I don't buy cars specifically only for resale considerations, however I can't help but notice the large numbers of Cayman, with varying option levels, new and used, sitting on the lots I've visited.

Lastly, as a comparison of being a passenger in both, I did love the precise planted feeling of the 997, it felt carved out of a solid hunk of metal and the quality was palpable, whereas the Cayman felt more akin to the Mini, lighter and more tossable, but also revealing more road and outside noise as a result of less insulation, which is something I prefer less of at this point. I'm also more inclined towards having torque and 'grunt' right now, which puts me square in the 997 camp.

I do admire both cars but for me the 997 just seems to fit the bill better, you might have comepletely different needs though, so all my blabbing is really moot I guess It depends on how you anticipate using the car and what is important to you of course - so what are you thinking, what options do you want? Of course you have had a 997 already, so I suspect you are leaning towards the Cayman for a new experience ... ?
Old 07-24-2007, 07:21 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the input - now you see why it's been a tough choice. On one hand I want to try something new, but on the other hand, the 911 is THE icon. This will strictly be our "weekend warrior".

It's never about impressing others or getting "approval" - I ask you guys because I want to make sure I get the most out of the experience. The money is not a big issue between the two, but it's a consideration. I do think the 911 will hold stronger resale than the Cayman S, but I don't want that to be a deciding factor.

Thanks again!!
Old 07-24-2007, 09:43 AM
eljeffo64
Racer

A 911 or a Cayman?? A Mercedes or a Lexus?? A Yamaha cruiser or a Harley?? A Range Rover Sport or a Toyota Land Cruiser?? - there's strong arguments for the technical prowess of the "other " options but each time the heart tells you to buy the real thing IMO !!
Old 07-24-2007, 10:00 AM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Ill probably get fried alive but its my opinion that the 356 and the 911 are the only cars deserving of the porsche name.The others were made and designed for the bottom line.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:58 AM
carlo$
Instructor

carrera, no brainer. especially for 7K price diff.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:08 PM
Vitamin_J
Rennlist Member

That is not enough of a price gap to justify the Cayman. I think it is a great car and looks stunning but the 911 is the flagship of the brand and was my choice. All bias from here.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:18 PM
wetstuff
Pro

We made the jump from the Boxster-S to the 997S because it has a lot more presence, or substance, than the Cayman ..but we also loved the Box. Doesn't seem like there's a wrong choice.

Quick Reply: Which would you choose?