Sponsored by:

Sunroofs v. cabriolets

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 07:54 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Dave
For me, a cab is only useful in places like Seattle where it's overcast most of the time and it never gets hot. In sunny, hot Denver where I live, a cab is out of the question. Not only would I bake in the sun, but my leather would too. Sunroof for me!
Funny, because just up north of Seattle here in Vancouver I wouldn't own a cabrio, due to the little real use it would get. A sunroof to me, is ideal.
Having said that I have a dream of the perfect sunroof being a very large webasto style sunroof
Old 09-18-2007, 10:07 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Alk
Also cool driving in cities with top down. Driving down 42nd street at about midnight with the crowds and lights blazing from all directions is incredible.
I'd forgotten how wonderful P-cars sound bouncing their music off concrete walls and storefronts. I used to do that in SF and LA. I once bottomed out in SF playing Bullit in my Roadster, and then drove around without any muffler for awhile. Thanks for that reminder.....

Almost all of my P-cars have been convertibles until I bought this 997 S coupe. As much as I think it looks fabulous, I really miss the sights, sounds, and feel of a Cab. When you're racing a lot you just don't feel comfortable in a Cab anymore.....
Old 09-19-2007, 01:38 PM
helispud
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 21 Posts

I just wish I could of ordered my coupe without a sunroof.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:01 PM
NJtarga4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another vote for Targa

Great all year long in the east. In cool weather can keep it open, at night it is great, if really hot can close it up with cover that still lets some light in. Really the best of all worlds. Can't say enough great things about it.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:01 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Alk
I agree. A sunroof is nothing like a cab. It does, however, afford some sun and fresh air. I really enjoyed my cab, but did feel that it gave me a shorter season than I wanted. I guess I could have picked up a hardtop for the winter. There were also times while driving that I wished I could raise or lower the top due to weather changes or passenger requests.

Hence the targa experiment. It felt great on the all too short test drive. Lots of light even with it closed. A lot more sun and fresh air than a sunroof with less buffeting. And it felt really solid. Still it is not a cab.

The only major problem was backing up with the top open. It does obscure the view somewhat.

So, mine is on the ship. (I am just not sure which one. I think it left on or around 9/14.) I hope the experiment is a success. But it will really take a lot of driving to come to a conclusion.
I'm waiting for Porsche to come out with a Cab version of the Targa!
Old 09-20-2007, 05:34 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Originally Posted by gota911

Which will come with an ejection seat.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:22 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

It certainly depends on where you live. Here in NJ, IMHO (or more accurately wifey's) there are only a handful of days/nights to truly enjoy the cab experience (esp. when you factor in use; eg, dinner, parties, etc where SHMBO's hair is at issue). So a Targa becomes a very logical compromise as there is very little buffeting from the top even at high speeds. Also the cabin remains comfortable in surprisingly low temps.

Last edited by cello; 12-07-2007 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:28 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

The greenhouse effect...

Originally Posted by cello
Also the cabin remains comfortable in surprisingly low temps.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:05 PM
geof
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never owned a convertible but when I was younger my Dad had a Miata and I put more than a few miles on it...

My opinion: A convertible is a good option if you live in a climate where you will drive it more than a few months out of the year, or if you are willing to own a car that you will only drive over a limited season.

As for me- I chose a targa because it is a good compromise between a coupe and a cabriolet. Also you can see things in a targa that you would never see in a cab- once I drove through a thunderstorm and saw lightning strokes that spanned from the horizon in front of me to the clouds maybe 10 degrees off of zenith. I then saw the clouds change with respect to the sunlight as I drove through the rain. You can't do that in a cab unless you don't mind your leather seats getting wet! But I do understand that this is not for everyone.

If I lived in coastal California, say in Santa Barbara, and enjoyed long drives, say up the Pacific coast, a cab would win hands down.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:44 PM
Alk
Instructor

Originally Posted by gota911
How about a Targa version of a Turbo Cab.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:00 AM
george_k
Instructor

I had a benz convertible for years, every time I would take a long trip in the car - more than 30 minutes or so - with the Top down, I suffered with coughing, headache and sinus congestion for the rest of the day from the fumes and dust from driving. Unfortunately I have hay fever. Needless to say, I got the 997 coupe and I love it. Nice filtered cool air in the summer. On a nice mild evening, I open the windows and sunroof for a short while to enjoy the open air experience.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:58 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

My last 2 cars were cabs..Lexus SC 430 and 911S. I really enjoy the top down here in Vegas during the mornings and after the sun sets.

Those CA drives along PCH are nice too.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:46 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

SWMBO & I just drove round Lake Michigan. And over the 8 days we drove with the top up on one day only when it rained. A sunroof would have been a very poor substitute.

My cab gets driven in winter (at least if it's above 40F and sunny) with the top down. And why not? You have a wind blocker and butt warmers - it's a perfect way to enjoy a cab.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:48 AM
jkb
Racer

i love my cab, but its probably a last 911 cab i'll get. if i get a cab in the future, it will be a GT car, something like bmw 6er or MB SL.

why no more cab you ask? too much attention. i cant even pick my nose at a stop light with top down.

seriously though: too many squeaks and rattles. some people can ignore them. i am the opposite. i am extremely OCD and have very sensitive hearing to any possible squeak and rattle that emerges. i need torsional rigidity of the coupe to keep me sane
Old 09-23-2007, 02:53 AM
Sharptt
Pro

I've owned quite a few cabriolet 911s and just got back into a coupe. I don't miss the extra noise and lack of chassis rigidity one bit. I love the sunroof and get more use out of it than I anticipated. But if I wanted to drive P convertible I'd look hard at a Boxster S.

Quick Reply: Sunroofs v. cabriolets