Sunroofs v. cabriolets

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 09:21 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Sunroofs v. cabriolets

After several years of non-operation the sunroof in one of my other cars was fixed. While using it today I came to the conclusion that it sure isn't anything like a cabriolet! It's not even a compromise. Many years ago I read that at least once in your life you should own a convertible. (Not a "targa" or a sunroof, mind you).

Anyone else out there notice the inadequacies of sunroofs compared to a cabriolet?
Old 09-17-2007, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Anyone else out there notice the inadequacies of sunroofs compared to a cabriolet?
Apples and Oranges...
Old 09-17-2007, 09:30 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
For me, a cab is only useful in places like Seattle where it's overcast most of the time and it never gets hot. In sunny, hot Denver where I live, a cab is out of the question. Not only would I bake in the sun, but my leather would too. Sunroof for me!
Old 09-17-2007, 09:30 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 160 Posts

Dan - you are the first person I've ever heard comparing a sunroof coupe to a cabriolet.
Apples and oranges, indeed.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:34 PM
rfedele
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes and I prefer the sunroof. The sunroof is much more useful, but having owned 2 prior convertibles they can provide great moments.

The sunroof is also preferable from an engineering stance (ie rigidity, sound, weather).
Old 09-17-2007, 09:36 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

I love the cab. On a date with the wife at night I have the option of convertible or ac. During the summer I use the ac during the day and top down at night....In the fall and spring its top down always. Sun roof is useless. Not enough open feeling imho.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:49 PM
Jim 'n' SC
Racer

Default Don't Know yet?

I've had 8 years of Boxster's and loved every minute. Just bought a 07 997 C2. This my first sun roof, so far I really like it. It's definately not the same, but the coupe is quieter and has less creaks and squeeks. I think a lot has to do with where you live and how you use your car.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:01 PM
Alk
Instructor

I agree. A sunroof is nothing like a cab. It does, however, afford some sun and fresh air. I really enjoyed my cab, but did feel that it gave me a shorter season than I wanted. I guess I could have picked up a hardtop for the winter. There were also times while driving that I wished I could raise or lower the top due to weather changes or passenger requests.

Hence the targa experiment. It felt great on the all too short test drive. Lots of light even with it closed. A lot more sun and fresh air than a sunroof with less buffeting. And it felt really solid. Still it is not a cab.

The only major problem was backing up with the top open. It does obscure the view somewhat.

So, mine is on the ship. (I am just not sure which one. I think it left on or around 9/14.) I hope the experiment is a success. But it will really take a lot of driving to come to a conclusion.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:10 PM
Maison
Advanced

There's no substitute for open air and the feeling of it. In our college days, my wife (GF then) and I used to rent convertibles every once in a while. We knew convertibles would be in our future. Our first was a '04 MB CLK500 Cab that was recently sold (STOLEN!!) to my sister and our recent second is none other than a Pcar, '08 997S Cab. Lovin' every minute of it.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:13 PM
Maison
Advanced

oh, a targa may come remotely close to second. A sunroof?? No way, shouldn't even be compared.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:21 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

I would much rather have the sunroof in my 911 - and when I want to go out in the convertiable I take the Motorcycle or the Boxster.

;-)
Old 09-17-2007, 10:28 PM
Alk
Instructor

I miss my motorcycles. They beat cabs hands down for the open air feeling. Just saw too many near misses (a few of my own) with the inconsiderate drivers we have on Long Island. Mostly cell phone using moms in big SUV's or young kids texting while driving. No chauvanism comments, just my experience.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:41 PM
skier8dude
Advanced

A cab is the only way to go....Nothing better then top down on the back roads. Freeways & tunnels with the top down, that is another story...
Old 09-17-2007, 10:46 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Targa is not a sunroof. The whole roof slides back and with the windows open give an almost Cab experience. With it closed you can observe the sky. It really is neat and you don't have to worry about someone cutting it to get in. A little more security in the motel parking lots.

Plus there is a lot more space that's available compared with Cab that's another plus, with the hatchback glass that opens. The only drawback is it adds a lot of weight.

I can't get over how much I like this car.

I'm going to have to change my avatar and post some pictures of the new addition but it's dirty and I need to get it washed, The pictures on the Porsche website don't really do this car justice.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:46 PM
Alk
Instructor

Originally Posted by skier8dude
A cab is the only way to go....Nothing better then top down on the back roads. Freeways & tunnels with the top down, that is another story...
Also cool driving in cities with top down. Driving down 42nd street at about midnight with the crowds and lights blazing from all directions is incredible.

Quick Reply: Sunroofs v. cabriolets