335xi for daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 11:29 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vancouver83LTD
unlike the front wheel drive based audis.
The Audi Quattro system used on the A4/S4, A6/S6 & A8/S8 is rear wheel biased - you might want to check your information before posting...

Since 1980, quattro has been a synonym for cars with outstanding driving dynamics. In its basic setting, the torque-sensing centre differential delivers 40 percent of the tractive force from the engine to the front axle and 60 percent to the rear axle. Since the latest Audi RS 4 was introduced in 2005, this degree of rearward bias has been standard on all new Audi models; it guarantees a high level of driving pleasure. The torque-sensing differential redistributes engine output without delay if road surface conditions change, and is thus the most advanced technical principle in this competition area.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:09 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by kennygoodboy
I dont think i can go for Audi because I simply find their styling way too bland...
Yeah, this car is really bland...LOL

Old 09-19-2007, 12:38 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use my Range Rover Sport S/C as my bad weather day. Its AWD and is very capable with its air suspension. And can haul big stuff. Nice compliment to a sports car. How about an SUV?
Old 09-19-2007, 12:40 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yea - another crummy 420hp awd German designed car

Attached Images  
Old 09-19-2007, 12:57 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ELUSIVE
I think you are probably the first person that I've ever seen that thought an S4 was "really boring" to drive.
Count another one. I had a B7 S4 from 1/06 to 11/06, and it was THE most underwhelming car I've ever owned.

Plus:
- Great interior
- Pretty reliable
- Tons of nice toys: media card slots, good nav, bluetooth, heated everything
- Sounds good, good power/torque
- Understated design
- Nice-feeling shifter, predictable clutch

Minus:
- Totally overboosted steering
- Terminal understeer
- Very heavy
- Cramped back seat given its size and weight
- Abysmal fuel economy and, more importantly, poor cruising range
- Overshocked, undersprung: ride is needlessly harsh, while tons of body roll still present

You might think the overboosted steering and understeer only manifest themselves when you're driving at 7/10 and above - not true. The B7 S4 steering isn't very accurate, and it's more boosted than regular A4 steering.

The S4 is like the Cadillac CTS-V - a rolling contradiction. Both cars are weird amalgamations of conflicting traits; they don't know if they're luxury cars or sports cars, and they cross the lines on both in different parts of their construction. I honestly think the A4 2.0tqm is a better car than the S4 because of the A4's more accurate steering and better cruising range.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:19 PM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kennygoodboy
Hi everyone, i know a lot of you on here use your 997 as a daily driver and i try to use mine as much as possible as well. However, living in the heart a major city necessitates another set of wheels. I am considering a 335xi sedan, which would be perfect for my situation (Chicago winters, driving others comfortably, still want top perfromance and looks). Any fellow rennlisters use this car (or something similar like the 328xi) as a daily driver? Is it great in the winters? As far as other choices, I really like the new C class but those bozos made the slower C300 sport available with a manual but not the more powerful C350 sport! I should buy a BMW for that alone.

You have a PM
Old 09-19-2007, 10:57 PM
kennygoodboy
Instructor

Originally Posted by ELUSIVE
Yeah, this car is really bland...LOL

Clearly taste is subjective. If you think Audi has great styling, then good for you. I think it looks boxy and has never turned my head (litmus test for styling). You can convince me Audi has better awd cars but not better styling. Anyway, the point of the thread i started was to get views on the bmw 335xi from fellow 997 drivers but i do appreciate your input.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:08 PM
george_k
Instructor

How about an SUV? Good compliment to your 997, considering the snowy Chicago winters. Comes in handy when you need to haul stuff and in the nsty weather. I have a GMC Denali as a 2nd vehicle, works well for me.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:24 PM
kennygoodboy
Instructor

Originally Posted by george_k
How about an SUV? Good compliment to your 997, considering the snowy Chicago winters. Comes in handy when you need to haul stuff and in the nsty weather. I have a GMC Denali as a 2nd vehicle, works well for me.
Nope, already have a Jeep Commander (lease up soon, hence looking for new car). My view is you should only get a SUV if you actually use it for its intended purposes. Meaning, if you have 3 kids and need the room or you are a land developer and haul crap around all day (I am single and live 2 blocks from Wrigley in the heart of the city). If you dont, its clearly not worth the AWFUL gas mileage. I always feel numb when driving it, I much prefer sports cars or sedans. So why did I buy it you might ask? My brother works for Chrysler and I got it basically for free (under $200 pmt with zero down). However, I did consider a Range Rover for a brief moment because I really like they way they look but decided against it. Decisions, decisions...
Old 09-20-2007, 12:54 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well - we all have opinions and that's what makes us unique.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:39 AM
DFC4S
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John NY-Naples
My wife has a 335i hardtop convertible, and it drives very nicely. Performance is good, and can handle bumps well. Problem is, I need an all wheel drive to go up my driveway. A rear wheel drive with snow tires cannot get up my driveway if there is even a light dusting of snow.
As a matter of fact, I'm also in the market for a new DD to replace my E46 328i which offers terrible performance in snow.

I've been loyal to BMW but now I don't care for BMW's new styling.

I am considering a 2007 RS4.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:33 AM
John NY-Naples
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fialho
As a matter of fact, I'm also in the market for a new DD to replace my E46 328i which offers terrible performance in snow.

I've been loyal to BMW but now I don't care for BMW's new styling.

I am considering a 2007 RS4.
One of my partners just purchased an RS4. That is one hot car.

Quick Reply: 335xi for daily driver?