Time for An Air Filter: K & N

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 10:36 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Time for An Air Filter: K & N

I think it's about time for a new air filter, and my birthday is coming up. My brother in law owns a repair shop and has access to K&N filters... What's the part number for the K&N air filter that fits the 997S 3.8? I'm talking about the stock piece.

:-)
Old 09-24-2007, 11:37 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

10 seconds with google -

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=33-2786
Old 09-24-2007, 11:37 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

P.S. Happy Birthday!

I have the BMC filter.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:42 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Thanks,--I finally found the time to research it as well!

http://store.knfilters.com/search/pr...x?Prod=33-2786
Old 09-25-2007, 10:05 AM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you expect to gain from the K&N filter?
Old 09-25-2007, 10:26 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

I hear these "oiled" filters an sometimes foul the air sensors, I'd be very careful in selecting these filters.

Deanski
Old 09-25-2007, 10:47 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

The oiled filter can foul the MAF sensor if it is over oiled. I have been running the BMC filter (oiled cloth like K&N) for 9,000+ miles with out a problem. I have been useing K&N filters for many years in my Vette's and my BMW road car with well over 45,000 miles with no problems.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:09 AM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

I understand with proper oiling you will have no problem. I would like to know the benefit, if any.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:49 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

K&N has a interesting answer to this on their FAQ.

7. Will a K&N filter cause my vehicle’s mass air sensor to fail?

No, it is both impossible and ridiculous.

It is impossible because we know that the oil treatment on our cotton is very small (usually less than 2 ounces). Once the oil is properly and evenly absorbed through the cotton, no oil will come off, even under extreme engine conditions. It is ridiculous, because no dealership or service provider has ever been able to provide us with evidence to support this “myth,” and in fact, our investigations have revealed that even authorized dealerships are simply speculating and do not have the test equipment necessary to know whether the sensor has failed or why. It is even more ridiculous because some car manufacturers use and sell air filters treated with oil on a regular basis. There are also major brands of disposable air filters that are treated with oil. We all use oil for the same reason, it helps in the filtration efficiency of an air filter. For more information on this topic including videos, see our Mass Air Flow Sensor Statement page.

Out of the millions of air filters we sell, we only receive a handful of consumer complaints each month that a dealership or service provider has blamed a vehicle sensor repair on our product. We take each complaint very seriously and see it as an opportunity to stop a consumer from being taken advantage of. We investigate the situation thoroughly and take full responsibility for resolving the issue. For more information on how we educate and persuade the service provider to reconsider their position, see Mass Air Flow Sensor Information & Testing. We are so confident in our ability to resolve these situations and help a consumer fight back that we offer our Consumer Protection Pledge.

As a result of our standing up for consumer rights and providing assistance to resolve a disagreement, we have had 77 actual sensors sent to us by dealerships who claimed our product had caused them to fail. Microscopic, electronic and chemical testing revealed that none of the 77 sensors were contaminated by K&N oil (K&N Detailed MAF Sensor Test Results). What is perhaps the single biggest clue to what is going on is that over 50% of these sensors were not broken in the first place for any reason. Click here for more information on how this may happen.

Here is the link...http://www.knfilters.com/faq.htm#7

There is a couple of hyperlinks in this FAQ that really goes into detail about this...

Just a FYI the technology used in the K&N airfilters as well as other oiled filters is whats used by the US Army and USMC on the current crop of US Main Battle Tanks the M1A1 and the M1A2 which uses a turbine engine. They needed a airfilter that will fitler and still allow the copious amounts of air the jet engine in that tank needs.

I have used K&N airfilters on all my Mustang Cobras (some of which I tore the heads off of the car and was amazed on how clean everything was) not to mention my 01 M3 and used a AFE based CAI on my 04 M3 which was also oil based filter with absolutely no issues.

Dave
Old 09-25-2007, 12:50 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jnx
I understand with proper oiling you will have no problem. I would like to know the benefit, if any.
My 01 M3 made a considtent 4rwhp more with a K&N replacement panel filter than over a new OEM paper filter..is it alot ...no. It all helps though...

Dave
Old 09-25-2007, 03:08 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the clarification!
Old 09-25-2007, 04:27 PM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

From PCA website:

http://www.pca.org/tech/tech_qa_question.asp?id={46FB29BC-61DD-40D8-82A3-2F33A0A3D084}
Old 09-25-2007, 05:09 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I try for every possible hp and lb of torque. I try to reduce weight being careful of my track wheel, tire, and rotor selection. All of this for better results at the track.

I've tried K&K and AFE and will never use an oiled filter again. I'm very careful but I had MAF problems due to the oiled filter. When you use an oiled filter (new) it tends to collect debris. The same debris in a paper filter is easy to vacuum off, while on an oiled one you need to use the cleaner and then re-oil. It's in the re-oiling where the problems arise. I found it hard to get just the right amount of oil. Too little and I felt it would be ineffective and let material into the engine. Too much and you foul the MAF (like I did on my M3, which was easy to take care of with a can of MAF Cleaner). But what a pain -- my MAF fouled on track at Watkins Glen...

Maybe there are 4 HP to have when the filter is new, and maybe that goes down to 0 gain or a loss when it's dirty. Then the cleaning and oiling process. I just found it wasn't worth the bother...
Old 09-25-2007, 07:06 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

That's the conclusion that I am reaching,--"is it worth the bother?" I suppose we could say that all other things being equal, at least it would reduce the debris arriving annually at landfills...
Old 09-25-2007, 07:37 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It's so hard to know what's really "green"... The filter cleaning solution may be very bad for the environment, may include some "nasty" manufacturing process, etc. I've always "cleaned" my paper filters with a vacuum to increase their efficiency and change them every 2 to 3 years. Also, nothing goes into land fills here in central CT. Everything that isn't recycled is burned in the trash to energy plant. The scrubbers remove something like 99.9% of "everything" that comes out of the stack. Only the soot is buried in a landfill that's designated for that. So, in a way it might be more green to use paper filters... Today's world is extremely complex, eh?

Quick Reply: Time for An Air Filter: K & N