Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the real wholesale price for parts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 06:03 AM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the real wholesale price for parts?

Bought some T-quipment parts for the C4. The deal I had with the salesman was I'd get these parts at cost and pay full boat for labor.

The PCA discount is about 10%, if I am correct. Is that the wholesale dealer cost?

I know Porsche has a very high profit margin on new cars. I assumed that carried over to parts, also!

If the difference IS only 10%, then I can accept that, but if he offered me a deal and then tried to keep a extra percentage..... well, like he told me, a deal, is a deal!

I just don't know what the real mark up is??

Anybody have that info??

Thanks
Old 09-26-2007, 08:21 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

I have "heard" (read this on the forum here a few different times) that the options on a 997 have a mark-up of approximately 20%. Not sure if this is correct, but it's what I "heard."
Old 09-26-2007, 09:11 AM
jlturpin
Burning Brakes

If you want to find out what the best price around is give jeff @ sunset imports a call. I have bought from him and his prices are better than anywhere else.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:31 AM
PDQ PDK CAYMAN S
Racer

In 2005 the margin on the car was 12.5% with a $2,000 dealer incentive. If it went further than that I don't know of it. With parts, any business has to have a margin of about 30 to 40% and I am sure that Porsche is close to that. Everyone is entitled to a fair profit.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:06 AM
george_k
Instructor

from my experience, normal dealer markup for run of the mill parts is around 25-30% over cost, I am not sure about the tequipment parts. I have a buddy in the auto body repair business and he gets a 15% discount on all his purchases from Porsche, I used to have him buy parts for me but Suncoast does even better.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:41 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

The margin on options coming with a car would not be comparable. I don't know the margin on parts but I expect it is 25-30% or more. Sunset Porsche sells for 10 or 15% over cost, and I second the suggestion that you call them for prices.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:59 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Locally here a dealer with a resale license gets 20% off of normal list at the P dealer. So dealer cost has to be more than that.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:29 PM
mostolf
Intermediate

Default PCA discount?

Originally Posted by rdstemler
The PCA discount is about 10%, if I am correct. Is that the wholesale dealer cost?
How and where do we get a PCA discount?! (I'm a newb.)

TIA!
Old 09-27-2007, 03:14 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Porsche dealer markup on parts is 50-100% (i've had dealers claim otherwise until they realized I had the wholesale & retail prices sitting in front me). When the dollar was higher most things were at the 100% part of the price curve. That's changed in the past year or two but its still up there. There is also a growing list of dealers that are charging above MSRP for parts. They have different prices depending on if you're a walk-in, call-in or having your Porsche serviced there. In the past year PCNA also upped the wholesale costs for indepedent shops that buy through Porsche Parts Direct. I believe they may have also introduced a sliding scale dependent upon volume? So your neighborhood mechanic will be buying parts for just slightly less (percentage wise) than what Sunset Imports is charging. When you purchase tires at your local dealership they most likely come through the TireRack's wholesale program. And if you're buying N-Spec tires the dealer gets an additional 5% off the wholesale price if they buy through the PCNA Tire Support program which is also run by TireRack.

Originally Posted by mostolf
How and where do we get a PCA discount?! (I'm a newb.)
Forget about buying parts through your local dealership, especially in Mass! For regular ordering nobody beats cost + 15% from Sunset Imports in Oregon. Occasionaly Suncoast in Florida will have specials but their normal prices are a few percentage points higher than Sunsets.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:59 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Porsche dealer markup on parts is 50-100% (i've had dealers claim otherwise until they realized I had the wholesale & retail prices sitting in front me). When the dollar was higher most things were at the 100% part of the price curve. That's changed in the past year or two but its still up there. There is also a growing list of dealers that are charging above MSRP for parts. They have different prices depending on if you're a walk-in, call-in or having your Porsche serviced there. In the past year PCNA also upped the wholesale costs for indepedent shops that buy through Porsche Parts Direct. I believe they may have also introduced a sliding scale dependent upon volume? So your neighborhood mechanic will be buying parts for just slightly less (percentage wise) than what Sunset Imports is charging. When you purchase tires at your local dealership they most likely come through the TireRack's wholesale program. And if you're buying N-Spec tires the dealer gets an additional 5% off the wholesale price if they buy through the PCNA Tire Support program which is also run by TireRack.

Forget about buying parts through your local dealership, especially in Mass! For regular ordering nobody beats cost + 15% from Sunset Imports in Oregon. Occasionaly Suncoast in Florida will have specials but their normal prices are a few percentage points higher than Sunsets.

Jason is right, at least around here. Many parts are marked up 100% +.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:30 AM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

PCA Discount???? First join PCA, Then ask you dealer, or find one who gives the discount!

Or... try Sunset or SunCoast!

Then it's off to the track for PCA DEs!!!!!
Old 09-28-2007, 02:27 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

10% is nothing. Call Phil at Sunset.

Quick Reply: What is the real wholesale price for parts?