My front plate experience

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 01:38 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by jnx
Dan, I like your idea. Care to show how you did it.

Thanks,
Jay
I mounted 4 bolts in the center radiator filler panel (from the top of it, backed with fender washers.) From that I mounted a couple of brackets that the plate can attach with. (They're actually hinges, so that it can be a little flexible). Here's a shot of the bolts and how they are positioned. I hope to design it in such a way that the plate will swing from the bottom should I brake quickly and help break-lock on a laser from the front. (Passive counter-measure)
Attached Images  
Old 10-01-2007, 02:28 PM
nerual
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The no-plate thing works really well in CA, actually. I legitimately had no license plates in CA for about a year at one point (they kept messing up the plates I ordered), and they just gave me that stupid red square for the window. I was never stopped or questioned about it once. On the other hand, I never had a front plate in CA either, and wasn't hassled about it.

NY is extremely likely to hassle you about no front plate, especially in the city by the bridges and tunnels. Around here, no states ever leave you with no plate whatsoever, so no plates would get you instant unwanted attention.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:21 PM
StickShift964
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Got a ticket last weekend in NYC by some cop who had absolutely too much time on his hands. So, on went the moweraxle. Larry actually made me a special stud as the one i had ordered left the mounting plate too close to the bumper for comfort.

2 months and they finally ticketed. I ran the 964 for 3 years without a front NY plate, i put a replica german plate on, but it didnt even have my NY number, just a munich tag. I was never bothered.
Attached Images  
Old 10-01-2007, 03:56 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know that US plates just don't look good on the front of any porsche except maybe a cayanne. Wondering if it would be legal to cut the top and bottom of the plate so its only as wide (top to bottom) as the numbers and letters? That would look a whole lot better if you absolutely must have a plate up there. I haven't been hassled yet here in CA but its probably just a matter of time.

Might have even prevented the spider-web cracks up front I got when some ditz in her bmw backed into my car a couple weeks ago. I didn't notice the damage (until yesterday when washing my car) and let her go without taking her number. Prob should have got the number either way since she was a little hottie but I was annoyed at her for being so stupid and backing into me. Her tip for the day: The little "R" on your shifter means the car will go backwards when its in that gear duh!
Old 10-01-2007, 10:38 PM
944kid
Banned

Originally Posted by 2ndof2
I know that US plates just don't look good on the front of any porsche except maybe a cayanne. Wondering if it would be legal to cut the top and bottom of the plate so its only as wide (top to bottom) as the numbers and letters? That would look a whole lot better if you absolutely must have a plate up there. I haven't been hassled yet here in CA but its probably just a matter of time.

That scenario wouldn't work in NY. Here we can't legally cover any of the words "New York" or that crap on the bottom of the plate. Cutting the plates would be asking to get a citation, unfortunately.

Stupid New York laws!
Old 10-10-2007, 04:12 PM
997C2SCabMan
Track Day

Did you take the front bumper off to drill holes & install the bolts? If not, how did you get to it from the inside? Thx
Old 10-10-2007, 04:54 PM
John NY-Naples
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 997C2SCabMan
Did you take the front bumper off to drill holes & install the bolts? If not, how did you get to it from the inside? Thx
I did not remove the front bumper. I used a very short drill bit and drilled the holes from underneath the car. The kit comes with rubber-covered bolts that you slide into the holes. When you mount the frame and screw in the bolts, the rubber expands and the frame is in place.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:41 PM
997C2SCabMan
Track Day

Hey Dan - did you take the bumper off to do this, or did you get access to the inside of the panel (to mount the washers & bolts) from inside the bonnet somehow? thx
Old 10-11-2007, 04:19 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 328 Posts

What about all the 'vette's that have no front plate. It actually says "corvette" where the plate goes. Do these guys get written up also? I've never seen a ferrari with a front plate either.

I've been stopped twice at the tunnel but was let go. I keep the plate under my seat and pulled it out when the cop motioned for me to pull over. I said "I guess you're wondering where this is"? He said "yes, I am". I told him I had some work done on the front of the car and the mounting brackets were body color and the dealer had to order it. He told me to get it done and let me go.

But yes, the bridges and tunnels are the worst part. I try to stay as close to possible as the car in front in order to "block" their view LOL
Old 10-11-2007, 04:20 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by StickShift964
Got a ticket last weekend in NYC by some cop who had absolutely too much time on his hands. So, on went the moweraxle. Larry actually made me a special stud as the one i had ordered left the mounting plate too close to the bumper for comfort.

2 months and they finally ticketed. I ran the 964 for 3 years without a front NY plate, i put a replica german plate on, but it didnt even have my NY number, just a munich tag. I was never bothered.
Did you just have to pay the ticket or do you actually have to fix it and then go show the cops that it was fixed?

Quick Reply: My front plate experience