Sponsored by:

Suspended license

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 05:13 PM
171mph
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspended license

Anyone ever successfully overturn a negligent driver suspension at a DMV hearing (in my case 4 speeding tickets within 12 months)?

If so what worked? Cali DMV wants me off the roads for 6 months (none of the 4 tix was egregious, maybe 10-15 over).

thanks
Old 10-15-2007, 05:22 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be prepared for the do-gooders bashing you on here. Too bad you weren't fighting these as you got them instead of letting them stack up. Some hot shot attorney could probably help you but it'll cost you. Good luck and slow down.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:36 PM
GeoT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SrfCity
Good luck and slow down.
and get a V1 after you get back on the road...

Old 10-15-2007, 05:37 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

If the tickets are in the same jurisdiction, it might be a good idea to call the court and find out what traffic attorney handles the most cases. Call him and work from there.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:37 PM
Cesko
Instructor

At minimum, get an attorney. Not sure what they would run in CALI, but in VA, I had one to fight a ticket for 55ish in a 25. They dropped it down to only like 19 over. I paid about $200 but avoided all the other VERY BAD things that VA will do for 20mph over the limit. The attorney would have been about $500, but I have a sort of "insurance" through my company where you pay each month and get legal usage for free. Well invested. Whether you fork the money out or not, it's still worth it. Get the attorney, and watch the speed.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:47 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

I did it in Memphis TN many years ago after getting 4 tickets in 6 months on a Suzuki GSXR 750. A week or two before the hearing I put the motorcycle up for sale. Brought the newspaper with the ad to the hearing along with my wife who testified to the fact that she had the keys and would only turn them over to the next owner. After some questions and a stern lecture I walked out.......with my license.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:50 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SrfCity
Be prepared for the do-gooders bashing you on here. Too bad you weren't fighting these as you got them instead of letting them stack up. Some hot shot attorney could probably help you but it'll cost you. Good luck and slow down.
Agreed. It's my personal policy to contest each and every citation. That ship has sailed, so at this point you need to get an attorney, or give up driving for a while. In the end the hired gun will be cheaper, IMHO.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:58 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,485 Likes on 2,270 Posts

google sherman ellison ESQ, based in LA.
aint cheap but he is good.
without a lawyer, in CA, you are toast.
also depends on jurisdiction, some city just want money and paying a fine will solve a LOT of prob., other cities are well... stubborn.

sherman may be able to present some "hardship" case in which you have to drive or else....

4 tix in 12months.... i was A LOT worse in 2002. but i learned the hard way. cruise control at 5+ is my friend.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:13 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nkhalidi
If the tickets are in the same jurisdiction, it might be a good idea to call the court and find out what traffic attorney handles the most cases. Call him and work from there.
That's a great idea.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:13 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I love these threads. "I got caught breaking the law. Now how do I weasel out and avoid punishment? You f'd up, your turn to PAY.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:22 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

Well, here's the guy's link

http://www.traffic-ticket-attorney.c...ic_ticket.html

But I can see from the quote below from his web site that he doesn't know the difference between your and you're?

Maybe your recent Los Angeles red light ticket is going to damage your California DMV points and your after some serious, qualified assistance.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:33 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 911Dave
I love these threads. "I got caught breaking the law. Now how do I weasel out and avoid punishment? You f'd up, your turn to PAY.
I see it as a exercising one's right to face one's accusor, have them prove what the alledge and mitigrate/minimize their ability to profit from it (by that I mean the government).

Call me an anarchist.. or whatever you like. It's the people that don't exercise their rights that makes the system profitable for government and encourages their relatively draconian penalties.

Good luck.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:40 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FotoVeloce
I see it as a exercising one's right to face one's accusor, have them prove what the alledge and mitigrate/minimize their ability to profit from it (by that I mean the government).

Call me an anarchist.. or whatever you like. It's the people that don't exercise their rights that makes the system profitable for government and encourages their relatively draconian penalties.

Good luck.
Anarchist! (you asked for it)

911 Dave, I'd say he HAS BEEN paying. I am also pretty sure he WILL PAY MORE regardless of the outcome. He is trying to retain his license, which, as was just pointed out, is well within the law.
So jump off of that high horse, Dave
Old 10-15-2007, 08:44 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MarkD
Anarchist! (you asked for it)
So jump off of that high horse, Dave
Impossible, I might hurt myself taking that big of a leap!
Old 10-15-2007, 08:51 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FotoVeloce
Impossible, I might hurt myself taking that big of a leap!
If your name is Dave... well, I was talking to the other Dave above

EDIT: I just checked your web site.. it is Dave. Go figure.
Fixed my post to address the "right" Dave

Quick Reply: Suspended license