Sponsored by:

Car cover suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 09:49 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car cover suggestion

Is there any better way to go than the Tequipment car cover to put my car away for the Winter?

Also for those who don't drive through the crummy weather-any suggestions on what to use for a battery maintainer?

Thanks.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:07 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've done a lot of thinking about the car cover issue, and I am absolutely convinced that the best cover is no cover at all. I can't think of any reason why the car should need a cover, and any fabric draped over your car is bound to cause fine scratches. Dust can be removed with a California car duster. A cover does nothing for the car.

I just bought the Porsche Charg-o-mat. Not the $130 one, the $60 one. It does everything the more expensive one does except charging of motorcycle batteries.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:56 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the only situation i can think of when u need a car cover is your car expose to weather directly, ie. sun/rain/slow.
no cover needed at home
Old 10-26-2007, 11:37 PM
Sharkdad
Praetorian Guard
Rennlist Member

Weathershield -- soft, repels water (not waterproof in a downpour), breathes, lightweight, durable, washer/dryer friendly, but the dark colors do fade. Manufacturer actually recommends dryer heat to reactivate water repelling treatment. AutoAnything has good prices; Griot's Garage has cool reflective piping as an option, which I recommend if you get a dark colored cover and ever park on the street.

Have used the same cover for several years on my vintage Saab Turbo Convertible without any noticeable effect to the paint. It definitely extended the life of my convertible top.

I also use a Weathershield for my '91 928GT. Both get parked outside some of the time and the covers keep the car clean, dry and out of direct sun. However, I always have had a good layer of wax and the cars are always kept clean. I think the biggest risk to your paint is a dirty car under the cover.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:01 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MLindgren
Is there any better way to go than the Tequipment car cover to put my car away for the Winter?

Also for those who don't drive through the crummy weather-any suggestions on what to use for a battery maintainer?

Thanks.
The search function is your friend.

• SEARCH BY KEYWORD

• SEARCH TITLES ONLY

• KEYWORD: cover

• SEARCH IN FORUM(S): 997

Use "battery" for your next keyword to find threads on battery maintainers.

Good luck.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:29 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I bought a cover (forgot which one but was recommended by people here) a few months after I got the car back in '05. I've never used it, actually it's still in its bag. They could've sent me a car cover for a Buick and I wouldn't know.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:09 AM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Dave
I just bought the Porsche Charg-o-mat. Not the $130 one, the $60 one. It does everything the more expensive one does except charging of motorcycle batteries.

The $130 version will charge a flat battery. The $60 can't .
Old 10-27-2007, 07:55 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Checkout the car-capsule.net.

With best regards,

Old 10-27-2007, 09:55 AM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Do not buy auto-chic covers. I got ripped off for 160.00 for a cover that shed on my 356 top so bad it became unuseable. The company would do nothing for me so I promised them that whenever a rennlister asked about covers I would let them know how crappy a company it was.

Last edited by points; 10-27-2007 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:31 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought a cover from California Car Cover in plushweave - which is soft cotton lined. Use it only during winter storage and have been happy with it - no scratches. Just be very careful to use over an immaculate, dirt and dust-free car.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:21 AM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

You're welcome to park your car in my garage for the winter with possible kid traffic and you'll soon understand.
Originally Posted by pl
the only situation i can think of when u need a car cover is your car expose to weather directly, ie. sun/rain/slow.
no cover needed at home
You're welcome to park your car in my garage for the winter with possible kid traffic and you'll soon understand.

I keep my car immaculate-especially the paint. Years back after I had a Buick Grand National right after high school I swore I'd never have another black car. All of the sudden in the past year I have accumulated 3 of them and have become obsessed with keeping them clean with no dust. If I drive the C2S 4 times a week I probably wash it and usually wax 6 times/week.

Thanks all for the suggestions. I will get my order in today!
Old 10-27-2007, 11:25 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
I bought a cover from California Car Cover in plushweave - which is soft cotton lined. Use it only during winter storage and have been happy with it - no scratches. Just be very careful to use over an immaculate, dirt and dust-free car.
Damn Phil, as much as your car sits in the garage that car cover must have more wear and tear on it than your tires do!
Old 10-27-2007, 12:09 PM
Paladin
Advanced

I have a 'Dustop' car cover. It's great for indoor use, doesn't shed or pill on the fabric top and takes a whopping 2 minutes to put on or take off. I got it from carcoverworld.com. They were a pleasure to deal with.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:22 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Damn Phil, as much as your car sits in the garage that car cover must have more wear and tear on it than your tires do!
Car has 2500 miles, car cover has close to 10,000....
Old 10-27-2007, 12:49 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Paladin
I have a 'Dustop' car cover. It's great for indoor use, doesn't shed or pill on the fabric top and takes a whopping 2 minutes to put on or take off. I got it from carcoverworld.com. They were a pleasure to deal with.
Yes, exactly what I have...it works great and no scratches. Not meant for outdoor use. Dustop For battery charger get the Interstate maintainer. You hook a cable permanently to your battery which has a plug on the other end. Then you simple plug the cable into the cord which is connected to the outlet. Available at most auto stores that sell interstate batteries.

Quick Reply: Car cover suggestion