Sponsored by:

20,000 mile service at home

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 10:51 AM
dndodd
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Dan,

Nice write up. I always prefer working on my own car. It is generally more convenient and in the end a time saver for me.

One thing you should consider when you have the car up is putting a wrench on various suspension components. For example I checked my rear sway bar and found the right side mount to be tight but both bolts on the left side were lose by a quarter to half a turn.

My dealer reset my service light for free.

David
Old 11-25-2007, 11:00 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wetstuff
Drmark gives one an idea: rubber stamps are cheap - No?!
What's important is the paperwork, not the stamp.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:18 AM
drmarkp
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not interested in Florida Marsh land, though at currrent exchange rates and US property prices, I might be interested in Florida!
FPSH = full Porsche service history, without which a Porsche under 5 years old is nigh on unsaleable (at least for decent money) in the UK. I would rather buy from an enthusiast every time but why risk a car with no verifiable records when most have both good owners and a dealer history?
Old 11-25-2007, 12:34 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by drmarkp
Not interested in Florida Marsh land, though at currrent exchange rates and US property prices, I might be interested in Florida!
FPSH = full Porsche service history, without which a Porsche under 5 years old is nigh on unsaleable (at least for decent money) in the UK. I would rather buy from an enthusiast every time but why risk a car with no verifiable records when most have both good owners and a dealer history?
I agree keeping records provides a solid basis for prespective buyers. My itch was aroused by the 'value' of a dealer stamp in the maintenance book.

Oh BTW . . That was a 'dirty blow' bringing up the US dollar. Geeez . . . If you've got a pile of Euros or pounds I think you could buy the entire state of Florida considering current monetary values. I can't even afford a dinner table at a upscale eatery London.

Is there a rational reason why Porsche only offers a 2yr/25K mile waranty in Europe while in the states it's 4yr/50K?
Old 11-25-2007, 01:38 PM
drmarkp
Advanced

Tell me about London prices - bad enough if your savings are in sterling / euros!
And don't get me going on warranties - not only do we get half the warranty you do, we pay nearly twice the price for our cars. My 997s lists at $150,000 and it's not that high spec. But then our cars are built to much higher tolerances, have 25% more power, and we drive them harder. I wish....
Old 11-25-2007, 02:47 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry for straying from the thread topic.

We were in London a couple of years ago and were craving for a good ole US style hamburger sandwich for lunch. Ended up eating at TGIF's (not a high end place mind you); well over 50 USD for a couple of burgers and tap brews. That was after we walked out of a pizza joint that wanted a surcharge for sharing a large pizza. We did have a great meal (I guess it would classed as pub food) one night w/o having to go into debt at Belgo Centraal in Covent Gardens.

Best deal in London was the British Museum (no charge).
Old 11-27-2007, 02:57 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Resetting the 'service now' computer display is around $55-65 bucks at the dealership. They should also throw in a quick courtesy inspection.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:24 PM
drew3007
Track Day

I forgot to mention that I will need to service my brakes. I will do a full flush of the fluid which is easier with a buddy unless you have a few slick tools. I have a friend that will want his done at the same time so we will learn on one and then do the other!
I'm sure you know that one of the slick tools you can use is a pressurized bleeder. The great thing about them is the attachment will fit pretty much any Porsche brake fluid reservoir ever made and it really makes brake flush/bleeding very easy and quick.

One thing you might find problematic is the ABS system. To bleed/flush the ABS system on a 996, you need the Porsche computer software. I am not sure if it is the same on a 997 but I would imagine that it is.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:09 PM
carlo$
Instructor

good job.

pics would had been better.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:45 PM
9974G
Burning Brakes

Wow, very nice Dan and good write up. Thanks.

I'm hoping to do similar maintenence on my 911 sometime in the future. I tend to think of it as being something that is unthinkable (since it's high-end compared to most cars on the road), but reading posts like this inspires me to do it. Just like you said, doing this type of work will enable you to learn a lot more about your car.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:45 PM
rdevillers
1st Gear

Question

After a suitable draining time I reinstalled the oil filter cartridge (with a new o-ring) by pushing the new filter cartridge up onto the center post and then by hand spun on the bakelite/plastic cartridge case. It is marked for a torque of 2.5 NM which translates to a mere 1.84 ft lbs. Do not exceed!
Dan - Are you sure that it is not 25 NM of torque (which is 18-19 ft lbs)? I do not think 2.5 NM is correct. The excellent oil change DIY posted by "OCben" quotes 19 ft. lbs for the cannister and 37 ft lbs for the drain plug.

I did the first oil change on my 2008 C2S two weeks ago and used those torque settings. I believe the cannister is marked 25 or 26 NM. 2.5 NM would not be tight enough.

Please double-check.

Thanks

Dick DeVillers
Old 11-27-2007, 07:21 PM
fb47243
Too Old To Remember My First Time
Lifetime Rennlist

Greetings,
Was just wondering through RL and came upon this thread and was wondering if anyone examines the filter for foreign debris as we do when maintaining aircraft engines? Cutting apart a filter and visually inspecting it along with a magnet through certainly will tell you if there are metal pieces breaking down. I have also wanted to have a metals analysis done on my 911 (at least to see any serious trending) but have not doen so yet. Any recommendations?
Old 04-15-2010, 05:42 AM
Georges Rebeiz
Instructor

Originally Posted by MyEmily
One brave soul. As much as I wanted to DIY. Am afraid to missed something and pay the dealer dearly to fix it..
Even if you miss something.. you would miss less than the dealer would!! These guys are champs at missing steps...
Old 04-15-2010, 11:35 AM
richc
Pro

That's great info Dan. Thanks!
Old 08-23-2015, 11:30 PM
HotLap
Racer

Great info Dan and as my warranty is about to expire ( 9 mos) I'm now servicing my own as well. It's just stupid what the dealer charges and every time I take it in for service or warranty issues, they mess something up and I end up having to take it back in! They assured me they weren't removing the rear bumper fascia for my oil changes and when I picked it up two of the rear fascia screws were hanging out of the mounting holes...talk about a bunch of BS! Seems service writers (some of them anyways) just tell you what they think you want to hear...

Question for you, do you have directions on the cabin particulate air filter? I just changed the bonnet filter at 20K miles and it was filthy...I'm pretty sure the cabin filter is under the glove box (felt panel) but thought I'd inquire before disassembling...

Good work and thank you!!

PS My lazy dealer has never even mentioned (much less signed nor stamped) my warranty booklet...good thing I keep service receipts!!

Quick Reply: 20,000 mile service at home