Sponsored by:

Clear Bra? Trying to soul search this one

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 10:34 PM
Tinluver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear Bra? Trying to soul search this one

Sorry to beat this subject to death but just need another push.Crazy about the Silver GT 911.Love the color and the lines of the body.Hard to bring myself to have the 3M bra applied.I have no problem with covering the front bumper and spoiler but can't decide if I should hit that front 1/3 of the hood, the ENTIRE hood or leave the hood as is and just address the bumper.Any additional thoughts on this beat to death topic is much appreciated.Car is a weekend driver, want to protect the investment but enjoy it as well.Thanks Again!
Old 11-25-2007, 10:58 PM
shlbrn
Advanced

Default Good Support

Do the bra, do the hood at least the front 1/3 and in retrospect I would do the entire hood. I have it on my 06 cab and the only marks on the paint are some very small linear scratches from rocks on the track during DE day. The bra would have certainly prevented those marks as it has on the areas covered. I have it on all my vehicles and it really shows the difference.

Deacon
Old 11-25-2007, 11:05 PM
Jerry Fisher
Instructor

highly recommended. I have front bumper, upper fenders around headlights mirrors and forward 1/3 of hood
Old 11-26-2007, 12:03 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

If you do a search, you will find the topic has been discussed at length, and with a range of opinions. I'd advise that you go look at some and see if you like them. FWIW, most who do prefer the clear bra (I'm one) will tell you that the installer can have a significant impact on how it ends up looking. Where are you located? Someone here may be able to recommend an installer.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:03 AM
kcl
Instructor

Agree,... there are a lot of info on the subject. As a recap, the installer is the most important factor when getting a clear bra done. I have the full hood, full fenders, and front bumper covered. When done right, it is virtually invisible. This might help: http://www.premiermobilegroup.com/pa...film_faq.shtml
http://www.premiermobilegroup.com/pa..._gallery.shtml
http://www.premiermobilegroup.com/pa..._gallery.shtml

Got mine from Premier (forum sponsors) and had many questions answered. For me clear bra = peace of mind.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:05 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Drove cross country with my S4 and 911 - Bra was a life saver both times...

Do it - it's the easiest choice out there...
Old 11-26-2007, 01:15 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the whole front end, couldn't be happier!

Do it!
Old 11-26-2007, 02:38 AM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Don't do it. It's one of those unnecessary poseurisms gaining popularity in Porsche-land. Paint chips can easily be repaired if you're willing to learn and there's just no comparing the look of well-cared for paint to the plastic crap.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:14 AM
Dr. Car
Racer

Hmmm ... I had it done, but only b/c I planned to run at the track where lots of stones get thrown. Have you ever had this type of coating with a car you owned before? Are you going to take this car to the track? Did you ever think, gosh, I love this car I own but, gosh darn, I can't stand all those horrible unsightly stone chips on the front of my car? If you answers are no, no, and no, then don't bother with it for your 911.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:08 AM
Rivan
Advanced

I have Premier clear bra that cover 1/3 of the hood. I highly recommend to get the clear bra for the entire hood ASAP. I didn't get any rock chips on the bumper but 2 deep chips on the bonnet before Premier installed the clear bra. I think because the slope line of the bonnet, the chance to get rock chips on the 997 bonnet is higher than most average cars.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:32 AM
Frino
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The case for doing the whole hood rather than the bottom 1/3rd depends primarily on where and how you drive. For a vehicle that will see a lot of track time and/or high speed freeway driving with lots of big rigs, the whole hood approach makes sense. For weekend cruises on back roads without a lot of track time, doing the bottom 1/3rd is the way to go.

I've had the 3M bra on the bottom third of my hood for the past 15 months with no chip damage elsewhere on the hood. Would get it again in a heartbeat.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:07 AM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by YA911Fan
Don't do it. It's one of those unnecessary poseurisms gaining popularity in Porsche-land. Paint chips can easily be repaired if you're willing to learn and there's just no comparing the look of well-cared for paint to the plastic crap.
I agree. I bought a vial of touch up paint and have used it twice with great results. The plastic crap can easily be seen and is not good with wax. Grime will collect in the seam and is tough to remove.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:33 AM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

I'd say go for it. GT and Artic Silver will make it very hard to notice the clear bra at all if it is done right.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:54 AM
drmarkp
Advanced

Nigh on invisible but still plastic over lovingly applied paint. Why? Oh why?
Old 11-26-2007, 12:31 PM
Eric_75
Intermediate

You may consider a conventional Porche bra for the 997.

When I bought my new 997S last month I drove it from NY to Miami. I wanted to have the 3M installed but the dealer did not have enough time. So I bought an original Porsche 997 Bra from Suncoast for $129 and it was a perfect fit. This bra worked excellent for my trip. You can install and remove anytime you want. I was very pleased, and will use it for all my longer drives.

Quick Reply: Clear Bra? Trying to soul search this one