Sponsored by:

Dealership refuses to fix buzzing B-pillar under warranty

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 09:49 PM
Sunshine
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cello
Sunshine, please take the following constructively (and not as if I do not believe you, etc). The acoustical space inside a car is filled with odd shapes and surfaces. Sounds appearing to be located in one spot often are caused by something in a totally different locale. So, if the good advise offered above did not work, you need to attack the problem systematically. Start by removing all loose items in the car wherever they are (and look hard under seats, in bins, remove CDs, etc). Take out the mats, etc. Remove everything you can from the boot, etc. Try the car in a safe area. One at a time, crack windows, doors, seat belt on-off, move/adjust the seats, etc, all the diiferent permutations of moving parts you can think of. If none of that isolates the problem, you then can at least discuss the matter factually with PCA/the Dealer as you have eliminated alot of the basic stuff the tech will do (before telling you it could not be recreated, etc). Frustrating, I am sure. Best of luck.
Ok, I'm on it. Thanks for the advice.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:52 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 160 Posts

...The acoustical space inside a car is filled with odd shapes and surfaces. Sounds appearing to be located in one spot often are caused by something in a totally different locale...
That's very true, which makes properly diagnosing what's making noise so frickin' difficult.
Maybe your noise isn't really coming from the B-pillar, but that's where it sounds like it's coming from.
This just gets better-and-better, doesn't it?
Old 01-02-2008, 10:07 PM
Sunshine
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Leader
That's very true, which makes properly diagnosing what's making noise so frickin' difficult.
Maybe your noise isn't really coming from the B-pillar, but that's where it sounds like it's coming from.
This just gets better-and-better, doesn't it?
Like a cricket in the house? Maybe I should let my cat deal with it.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:13 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

I too had a buzz coming from the driver's side B-pillar at about 60mph. I took it to the local dealer (who did not initially sell the car) and the tech went for a test drive, noted it was really annoying and fixed it.

He filled it with foam.

Buzz gone.

All under warranty.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:36 PM
Sunshine
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
I too had a buzz coming from the driver's side B-pillar at about 60mph. I took it to the local dealer (who did not initially sell the car) and the tech went for a test drive, noted it was really annoying and fixed it.

He filled it with foam.

Buzz gone.

All under warranty.
Sounds like your dealer actually gives a "FF" (flying frisbee) about the customer.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:40 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

"the B pillar does bulge out a little bit now and there's some yellow spooge from time to time, but the buzz is gone..."

(j/k, of course!)

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck

He filled it with foam.

Buzz gone.

All under warranty.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:52 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 126 Posts

B pillar? What's a B pillar? I got rid of mine!
Old 01-02-2008, 11:01 PM
sullic
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Rear Window

I had a noise that sounded like it was coming from the B pillar. it turned out to be a loose rear window. It wasn't seated properly. The took it and re-installed it. Rattle gone.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:30 AM
Sunshine
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sullic
I had a noise that sounded like it was coming from the B pillar. it turned out to be a loose rear window. It wasn't seated properly. The took it and re-installed it. Rattle gone.
I've wondered about the rear quarter window myself.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:47 AM
Rivan
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sunshine
My 2007 Porsche Carrera S has 7000 miles. I called my local dealership to schedule an appointment for an annoying buzzing sound eminating from my b-pillar. I was told that diagnosing and correcting the problem is not covered under warranty.
If I were you I will let PCNA know. And I will find another dealer. There is a difference between the dealer who can't fix the buzz noise and the dealer who doesn't even try to fix the problem and claim its not under warranty. BTW my MY06 with 14k miles doesn't buzz from the b-pillar so I don't think your problem is normal.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:54 PM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

Generally, the best approach is to have a 2nd person (friend or SO) ride with you and apply pressure on the areas that appear to be buzzing. If the buzzing subsides, that's your "apply foam underneath" (or tighten up) area.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:07 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Give it some time...a few hot days inside the cabin and the squeaks disappear...Materials "mold" together...My Porsches have gotten less rattles as they age. Sounds weird,but true.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:24 PM
Sunshine
Burning Brakes

Ok, so I figured out that it's the door panel because when I put pressure on it it stops. Now just a matter of finding the exact spot. Thanks for everyones advice and help.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:53 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunshine
Ok, so I figured out that it's the door panel because when I put pressure on it it stops. Now just a matter of finding the exact spot. Thanks for everyones advice and help.
Good news! Usually always a prcess of elimination. Now make them fix it under/per the warranty.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:59 PM
Sunshine
Burning Brakes

Good news! Usually always a prcess of elimination. Now make them fix it under/per the warranty.
I hear you. I shouldn't have to make them do it though.

Quick Reply: Dealership refuses to fix buzzing B-pillar under warranty