Sponsored by:

Dealership refuses to fix buzzing B-pillar under warranty

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 07:15 PM
Sunshine
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealership refuses to fix buzzing B-pillar under warranty

My 2007 Porsche Carrera S has 7000 miles. I called my local dealership to schedule an appointment for an annoying buzzing sound eminating from my b-pillar. I was told that diagnosing and correcting the problem is not covered under warranty.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:32 PM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sunshine
My 2007 Porsche Carrera S has 7000 miles. I called my local dealership to schedule an appointment for an annoying buzzing sound eminating from my b-pillar. I was told that diagnosing and correcting the problem is not covered under warranty.
I had the same buzz (passenger side B pillar), but it went away on its own. The dealer was willing to take it on, but it disappeared before I brought it in.

Search on "pillar" and you'll fin a DIY on removal. A little piece of foam rubber should do the trick.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:49 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Porsches are riddled with buzzes, resonances, and creaks these days. Lousy engineering, manufacturing or both. But I've never had a dealer refuse to try to find and fix them under warranty. Sometimes they get lucky and actually find and fix something. But they have to dismantle the interior to do this and in the process other things can get tweaked or damaged. Plus, sometimes their "fixes" aren't long-lasting. So it might be better to just grin and bear it....
Old 01-02-2008, 07:52 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

If you're in or within driving distance from Cleveland Ohio- You're more then welcome for us to give it a shot and see what's going on.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:59 PM
Sunshine
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
If you're in or within driving distance from Cleveland Ohio- You're more then welcome for us to give it a shot and see what's going on.
Awe, that's so sweet of you. I'm in Virginia Beach Virginia though. Thank you just the same.
-Laura
Old 01-02-2008, 08:04 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Sunshine, I'd call PCNA in Atlanta and take it to the top and not put up with that type of answer. Best of luck. What dealership refused you?
Old 01-02-2008, 08:12 PM
malammik
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealer, Holberts, went as far as having the mechanic ride with me so I could demonstrate to him where the rattle is so they could fix it.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:37 PM
Sunshine
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mdrums
Sunshine, I'd call PCNA in Atlanta and take it to the top and not put up with that type of answer. Best of luck. What dealership refused you?
I'll give my local dealership a chance to make nice before I post the name. I have placed a call to PCNA.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:38 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 160 Posts

Modern Porsche interiors are full of dissimilar materials all touching one another. Through changes in temperature, these materials may make noise as they "interact" through the motion and flexing of the car.
While it's almost impossible to eliminate all of these noises completely, the use of a little foam here or some felt tape there can really mitigate the annoyances.
Relying on the dealer to fix these issues may be wishful thinking.
If it's any consolation to you, my C2S seems to be making less "noise" as it ages...strange, but true.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:42 PM
Sunshine
Burning Brakes

This buzzing is right beside my left ear and very annoying. It's like having a gnat buzzing in my ear.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:03 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 160 Posts

This buzzing is right beside my left ear and very annoying. It's like having a gnat buzzing in my ear.
It's impossible to diagnose your noise "long distance," but I'd bet it's coming from your shoulder-belt pivot point.
Try changing the position of the pivot (up or down).
Try lubricating it (carefully) with some WD-40.
Can you make it stop by pressing on the B-pillar when you drive (careful doing this, too)?
I hate noises like this. Really annoying
Old 01-02-2008, 09:14 PM
Sunshine
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Leader
It's impossible to diagnose your noise "long distance," but I'd bet it's coming from your shoulder-belt pivot point.
Try changing the position of the pivot (up or down).
Try lubricating it (carefully) with some WD-40.
Can you make it stop by pressing on the B-pillar when you drive (careful doing this, too)?
I hate noises like this. Really annoying
Thanks Leader,
I've tried pressing the pillar, squeezing the plastic pivot mechanism and changing the position with no luck. It's frustrating for sure.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:29 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by YA911Fan
Porsches are riddled with buzzes, resonances, and creaks these days. Lousy engineering, manufacturing or both. But I've never had a dealer refuse to try to find and fix them under warranty. Sometimes they get lucky and actually find and fix something. But they have to dismantle the interior to do this and in the process other things can get tweaked or damaged. Plus, sometimes their "fixes" aren't long-lasting. So it might be better to just grin and bear it....
This is what I've found too. 997S and now GT3, still with rattles etc. Probably 6 trips to 2 dealers all toll. Unfortunately now I've pretty much accepted it as nature of the beast.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:39 PM
Tone
Racer

Sorry to hear all this.
IMHO - not at all accetpable.

I had a Honda Accord with a buzz on the rear deck....4 vists later, the dealer bought the car back.
I bought this car used from that dealer.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:45 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Sunshine, please take the following constructively (and not as if I do not believe you, etc). The acoustical space inside a car is filled with odd shapes and surfaces. Sounds appearing to be located in one spot often are caused by something in a totally different locale. So, if the good advise offered above did not work, you need to attack the problem systematically. Start by removing all loose items in the car wherever they are (and look hard under seats, in bins, remove CDs, etc). Take out the mats, etc. Remove everything you can from the boot, etc. Try the car in a safe area. One at a time, crack windows, doors, seat belt on-off, move/adjust the seats, etc, all the diiferent permutations of moving parts you can think of. If none of that isolates the problem, you then can at least discuss the matter factually with PCA/the Dealer as you have eliminated alot of the basic stuff the tech will do (before telling you it could not be recreated, etc). Frustrating, I am sure. Best of luck.

Quick Reply: Dealership refuses to fix buzzing B-pillar under warranty