Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer newsletter -- :...limited production on all models by 17 percent..."

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 10:19 AM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did the letter state whether the 17% production cutback was model-year specific? If not, then I'd think it's an overall reduction for '08, which would also include the '09 that's due out in the summer. That may be a response (at least in part) to the subprime/credit fallout and the U.S. dollar woes. Porsche isn't a volume manufacturer, so they'll simply pare supply in step with the anticipated demand decline in order to maintain their margin. The big-wigs don't want to see 10-15% discounts on new Porsches.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:49 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did the letter state whether the 17% production cutback was model-year specific?
The letter was referring to 2008.

And thanks for all the feedback, folks. They all have valid points.

With best regards,
- Alex 07 997S.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:08 AM
PBART
Track Day

does anyone know what Porsche production numbers for 2007 were globally for 997's? how many turbos were made?? I will be trading in an 06 C2S for the turbo soon. Arctic Silver with sea blue 5075 miles, if anyone might have an interest.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:50 AM
The_Phantom
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
This is the same flawed logic that lead to Porsche to skip a model year for the Cayenne due to declining sales....
Wait, Porsche skipped a year of Cayennes? When was that?
Old 01-03-2008, 12:01 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
Do a search on the Porsche website to see what dealers up here have in stock...

...that's 62 new 2007 and 2008 997 products here in CT including a turbo and GT3...
The Porsche dealers' websites include all in-stock and in-bound cars, including those ordered with buyers waiting. I assure you there are not 62 new cars...including a GT3...sitting under a blanket of snow in CT while lots are empty in CA and FL.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:40 PM
ozcav
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fishman
Wait, Porsche skipped a year of Cayennes? When was that?
No 07s. 06 Cayennes were sold until almost mid 07 when the slightly facelifted with DFI 08s came out.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:19 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is not surprising due to the economy and new credit requirements. A strategic plan IMO to relief unnecessary overstocks and keeps value/asking price well under control.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:45 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cvazquez
This is not surprising due to the economy and new credit requirements. A strategic plan IMO to relief unnecessary overstocks and keeps value/asking price well under control.
Seems like it's a bit too little, too late at this point.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:02 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
The Porsche dealers' websites include all in-stock and in-bound cars, including those ordered with buyers waiting. I assure you there are not 62 new cars...including a GT3...sitting under a blanket of snow in CT while lots are empty in CA and FL.
Don't know what to say, but yes, there are plenty of cars on the dealer lots as suggested. And yes, the GT3 is sitting in the showroom as evidenced by the photos and the note on the listing saying something like "Available for you to take home for Christmas" or something like that.

1 year ago when I was taking delivery, there were less than half that number "listed" in the network and there were so many cars on the lots I had my pick (if I didn't already order). I received 9.3% off MSRP on an ordered car and had offers as good as 12% off if I took something in stock (that offer from more than one dealer). And today, there are twice as many listed.

So I don't know what to say about those listings of 60+ cars from a handful of dealers and how many are spoken for. But all are listed as "for sale" and many include photos of the car on the lot or in the showroom. The last time I was at my dealer, they had plenty.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:27 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

It wouldn't surprise me if dealers deliberately kept part of their inventory "off-display" so as to give the illusion of scarcity.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:24 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Okay, here it goes...
1. Our economy is not doing that well...no more refi's to buy toys, realstate is hurting alot of people with an economic
trickle affect.
2. In most of europe that you think Porsche sell for alot more, its because of government taxes
3. China may be a good market in the future....but if you ever been there, its still a third world country.\
....we have alot more people in this country that can afford a 911 than China
4. The USA is still europes best market! When our economy suffers...so do theirs and Europe and Asia \
can not replace sales loss in the USA
5. Strong Euro makes us think how much the europeans are benefiting.....tell that to the 10-12%
unemployed in France/Germany because we can't afford to buy their goods
6. The rich don't care to pay 100 or 200k for a Porsche if they want it. But most buyers in the Porsche
market are NOT rich and are price sensitive. As the economy/and credit gets tougher people will
be more carefull to dish out big bucks for a car
7. Finally, "sales of 911 last year best".....hmmm past performance is not necessarily indicative of future
performance.

IMHO.....and when I become KING alot of things are going to change
abe
Old 01-03-2008, 09:21 PM
Track Day

Originally Posted by Fahrer
I believe that Porsche is far less dependent on the US market for the 911 than they have been in the past. In addition, when considering the market prices and exchange rate ( $/ Euro), the US market might be the least attractive place to sell these cars when you are near capacity and not planning to expand. Th prices they get for these cars in Europe and Asia are much higher than in the US. My guess would be ten that this might not be a production limitation but rather a cap on shipments to the dollar region?

+1 it's a $ thing.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:29 PM
Landmule
Advanced

When they say it's not about the money...it's about the money. With Porsche, it's about the money - whatever the currency.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:30 PM
wetstuff
Pro

Whether Wyoming or the UAE .. like LM says; "It's always about the money."

Yet, somehow I picture our fellow P-drivers above the 80month term/nothing down/2% cash back buyers who'd hock their houses to drive a nice car?!

When I see a brace of Harleys trailered behind a Ford Excursion; I do see a Refi of a tract house in a former bean field. Rumblings are: there are more people upside down in cars than houses... Maybe Ford Credit, etc. is the next shoe to drop..
Old 01-04-2008, 09:46 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
I believe that Porsche is far less dependent on the US market for the 911 than they have been in the past. In addition, when considering the market prices and exchange rate ( $/ Euro), the US market might be the least attractive place to sell these cars when you are near capacity and not planning to expand. Th prices they get for these cars in Europe and Asia are much higher than in the US. My guess would be ten that this might not be a production limitation but rather a cap on shipments to the dollar region?
Agreed. Profit margin rules distribution.

Quick Reply: Dealer newsletter -- :...limited production on all models by 17 percent..."