Sponsored by:

PASM vs Sport Modes

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 12:39 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Default PASM vs Sport Modes

For those of you "S" owners that have Sport Chrono, do you ever press the PASM switch instead of the Sport switch when wanting a firmer ride? I'm still not clear if there is a benefit in using the PASM switch instead of the Sport, and if so, under what circumstances. On the surface it appears to me that the PASM switch is somewhat redundant if you have Sport Chrono, since the Sport Chrono operates the PASM anyway. I seldom use either. Just curious. I apologize if you think the manual addresses this. I just find it a little confusing and tedious, despite being a mechanical engineer.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:43 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I use the PASM sport setting on the track, but never the SC sport setting. The Sport Chrono sport setting throttle mapping makes the throttle too difficult to modulate for my tastes.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:56 AM
tkids
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Mglobe, I don't like the mapping for the throttle/engine. Throws me off since I don't use it enough. However, I do like the extra room the sport mode gives before PSM activates. I am still looking for roads that I can ride with the PASM "ON".
Old 01-19-2008, 02:15 AM
Mtn Busa
Intermediate

Interestingly enough, my wife commented that she can tell when I engage "sport" but not PASM. She said the car response is too direct in "sport", but PASM, on the highway, doesn't disturb her.

Without her, I usually drive in "sport" to keep the PSE engaged. I love the quicker response, but I live in the Colorado canyons and don't do much city driving.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:23 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mtn Busa
Interestingly enough, my wife commented that she can tell when I engage "sport" but not PASM. She said the car response is too direct in "sport", but PASM, on the highway, doesn't disturb her.

Without her, I usually drive in "sport" to keep the PSE engaged. I love the quicker response, but I live in the Colorado canyons and don't do much city driving.
I agree with your wife's observation. I find the PASM mode to be a little less harsh than Sport mode. Re PSE, my plan is to install one and use a separate switch so I don't need to engage Sport mode to use the PSE.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:50 AM
Tinluver
Instructor

I believe the sport mode will engage sport exhaust as well.If you do not want it on but want a bit firmer ride alone then PASM does it...as the dealer tried to explain to me.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:27 AM
8haggis
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm same as mglobe. The sport throttle map is too touchy.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:33 AM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's all in the foot...
Old 01-20-2008, 03:14 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The individual PASM mode switch has a very important additional benefit. When going through deep driveways; if I switch the PASM to firm mode, it could help lower the chance of scraping the front end of the car.

It helps, I swear. It is not that the firm setting will affect the ride height, but I think it firms up the suspension so the car won't 'dip' when going through some dirveways. It is just 'this little' difference that could help avoid scaping the front end in many driveways.

With best regards,
Old 01-20-2008, 03:41 AM
Rivan
Advanced

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
The individual PASM mode switch has a very important additional benefit. When going through deep driveways; if I switch the PASM to firm mode, it could help lower the chance of scraping the front end of the car.

It helps, I swear. It is not that the firm setting will affect the ride height, but I think it firms up the suspension so the car won't 'dip' when going through some dirveways. It is just 'this little' difference that could help avoid scaping the front end in many driveways.

With best regards,
+1. Most often when I press PASM button is because the deep driveways and speed bumps.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:46 PM
WAC
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hit the sport button to engage pse and then the psm button to put the suspension back in normal mode when driving on the street because I like the pse sound but prefer the slightly softer ride when just doing normal in town driving. I use the firmer suspension settings when I get the chance at some twisties or autox.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:21 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by WAC
I hit the sport button to engage pse and then the psm button to put the suspension back in normal mode when driving on the street because I like the pse sound but prefer the slightly softer ride when just doing normal in town driving. I use the firmer suspension settings when I get the chance at some twisties or autox.
That is why I intend to wire my PSE (when I get one) to a separate switch so it is independent of the Sport mode. I wasn't aware the PSM could be undone while in sport mode. Will try it today. I guess that means that all you would have is re-mapped throttle, and PSE for those equipped with it.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:53 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is another little neat trick to keep the PSE active all the time. There is a little orange plug in the engine compartment which if u unplug it it leaves the PSE open and thus throaty.
I used to to exactly that, hit the PSM but get the suspension back to normal mode. I have to say that throttle response for city driving isnt my favorite either. So to get the nice exhaust note, you had to put up with the edgy throttle. Well no more. I unplugged the famed pug and I am in heaven every day.

Do a search, for PSE mod or something, there is a post with pictures. Try it... and if u want, do the wiring later. But I can think of vrey few instances when I would want PSE off. Perhaps a long trip on the highway or something.

Quick Reply: PASM vs Sport Modes