Sponsored by:

to "s" or not, that is my question

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 11:14 AM
zizu
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with Mitch.
Whatever works for you. This forum is a proof that everybody is different and what is great for me (very basic 911) is not for others. I understand that some people wants all the bells and whistles, a comfortable 911 that you can use everyday, you can get more power, why not if you are already getting a lot of options.
For one if you want PASM AND Xenons, it's almost not worth getting the base model, since with the price of the options it's going to put you in the price range of the S that comes equipped standard with this options.
The base model is great if you keep it basic but not worth it if you want a loaded 911.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:18 PM
swajames
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zizu
Power is not everything. There is a lot of things going for the base model.
For instance, it's lighter, so it's more nimble, the 3.6 is a wonderful engine, praise by many auto journalists (Excellence, GTPorsche...) for its linear power delivery.
Also you are free to configure it the way you want:
You don't have to go with the PASM or bi-xenons (save weight), less gadgets for a pure experience.
If the brakes are not good enough (track day) and want to save more weight, go with the PCCBs.
I wish Porsche would offer an even more basic model, like the 93 RS America, with no PCM, no sunroof, AC delete, no leather: Pure 911
Unless I'm missing something, Porsche quotes the weight difference between a base Carrera and the S at just 56lbs (55lbs with Tiptronic). Utterly undetectable.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:22 PM
pbarch1
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Brakes.... There are a lot of cars that go fast but very few that brake as well as a Porsche. To me that was the biggest difference.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:38 PM
hermie
Track Day

Default thanks to all

To all,
Thanks for the feedback. The seat of the pants is the way to go, I'll drive both w/o bias and decide from there.
Thanks,
Rono
Old 01-23-2008, 12:41 PM
StickShift964
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Xenons are a must unless the vehicle will be a strictly track vehicle. Nothing like a Bi-Xenon "flash" to get the tool in the left lane out of your way. and I must say, I really do enjoy PCCBs.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:16 PM
zizu
Racer

I don't think xenons are a must. My BMW has them, Big deal! My Mini GP doesn't and it's fine. Xenons are 7kg a side, not negligible. If you are looking at performance, every once count. That's why xenons are not standard on GT3 or RS, some people don't want them...
They are more costly to repair too (if you track your car).
Old 01-23-2008, 02:31 PM
str8ner
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Black 997 05 for sale. More power than you need for the road! PASM was not great in 05. Instead I opted for Bilstein PSS9. Better and cheaper tire options. You can see my car at www.funktionauto.com

Stephan
Old 01-23-2008, 03:09 PM
zizu
Racer

Unless I'm missing something, Porsche quotes the weight difference between a base Carrera and the S at just 56lbs (55lbs with Tiptronic). Utterly undetectable.
55lbs is not negligible.

Stephan, I saw your car at Funktion Auto. I am getting some work done over there on my GP. You have a GT3 now?
Old 01-23-2008, 03:37 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim 'n' SC
Really depends on how you are going to use the car? I have the C2 and 95% of the time can't use all the power I have. Yes, the "S" has bigger brakes, but can't use them either. I also wanted 18" rims that are standard on the base. They ride better and are cheaper to replace than 19" tires.
While I understand your point (and it's true from a lap around a track perspective because few people can ring out all the performance a car has) I get full use of my X51's hp and torque everytime I'm under heavy acceleration. Every drive I do at least one wide open throttle blast to whatever terminal speed my common sense and surroundings allow. With the possible exception of a Carrera GT or GT2, I don't think Porsche has made a car that has too much power, but I do like mine.

Buy the most you can afford, and if buying used, I wouldn't see why you wouldn't go for the S.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:34 PM
Rivan
Advanced

From the time I spend on this site, this C2 vs C2S topics is definitely one of the most popular topics on 997 board. It shows up at least once every month. Everytime the opinions from both side is almost evenly match.

Originally Posted by hermie
To all,
Thanks for the feedback. The seat of the pants is the way to go, I'll drive both w/o bias and decide from there.
Thanks,
Rono
Hey Rono, since you kinda mentioned X51 package (381 hp) at the beginning of the thread, I just want to add that used X51 cars are great value. Regardless horsepower, X51 is really the best of both world (low end torque, love to rev). If I am buying a used 997 today I will look for one with X51. PCCB is also a very good option. good luck on finding a car thats right for you.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:53 PM
str8ner
Racer

Zizu,

Yes I have had a997 GT3 for over a year now. By the way, have we met.
My point is that I am selling my Carrera because the GT3 is all I need. If you want more power you may as well get a GT3 rather than an S. They are about the same price, especially if you take the X51 package. If you want power go with the GT3.

Stephan
Old 01-23-2008, 07:05 PM
zizu
Racer

Stephan,

I don't think we met. I discovered Funktion Auto not long ago. I was looking to buy a GT3. The problem with the GT3 is you can't find them at MSRPs anymore, I missed the boat when you could still order one new. Well now I have to wait for the next generation or for the prices of used one to go down...
Old 01-23-2008, 10:25 PM
rfedele
Racer

Originally Posted by cole328
+1 to Bob in NY If you'll notice, all of the people on here telling you that the non-S is a better car are those that are driving, for whatever reason,......the base car.
We chose the base car because it's better in many ways.

I'm not sure what your quote above even means. Do you prefer the S because you own it, or did you buy it because you preferred it?

I bought what I wanted. And I owned an 05 S before I got the 07 base.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:31 PM
9974G
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rfedele
We chose the base car because it's better in many ways.

I'm not sure what your quote above even means. Do you prefer the S because you own it, or did you buy it because you preferred it?

I bought what I wanted. And I owned an 05 S before I got the 07 base.
Cole's just happy with his car and making comments like that make him like his car more. Whatever floats your boat I say.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:46 AM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

They are all great, they make several versions to meet taste, budgets and preferences. I never meant the standard Carrera isn't a good car, they are all fantastic. I moved up to a C4S because for ME I preferred the AWD, PASM and extra ponies. But I'm nuts too, ask my wife..........

Quick Reply: to "s" or not, that is my question