to "s" or not, that is my question

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 12:50 AM
hermie
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to "s" or not, that is my question

Hi Guys,
I haven't posted much as I haven't had a P car in a couple of years. I'm just about ready to start with some serious shopping for an '05 997. I see the opinions expressed on C2 vs. C2S and I'd like some feedback. Personally, I always like to go for the extra power. From what I've read here and elsewhere the 3.8 can be modified with intake, exhaust and electronics to upwards of 380 hp or so, w/o fear of major issues. Comments / opinions? I value the input.
Rono
Old 01-23-2008, 01:59 AM
StickShift964
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

S...PSE is a must unless your going to change the exhaust anyways.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:27 AM
vizman
Advanced

If you buy a porsche you buy it for its performance, so if you can afford it then go for it. You also get a few other goodies standard. But there is nothing wrong with a base carrera.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:33 AM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

I've owned both models, get the S now or get it later. There is a big difference in ride and handling in my opinion along with resale value. You will hear both sides, do a search it's been discussed many many times.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:00 AM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Read the commentary in Excellence of Feb, they like the 3.6 better.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:46 AM
Jim 'n' SC
Racer

Really depends on how you are going to use the car? I have the C2 and 95% of the time can't use all the power I have. Yes, the "S" has bigger brakes, but can't use them either. I also wanted 18" rims that are standard on the base. They ride better and are cheaper to replace than 19" tires.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:56 AM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 to Bob in NY If you'll notice, all of the people on here telling you that the non-S is a better car are those that are driving, for whatever reason,......the base car.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:46 AM
skittlz74
Advanced

getting opinions is fine, but this is YOUR decision. obviously drive both. if you can swing the S, and you prefer it, then there is your answer.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:09 AM
dndodd
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hermie
Hi Guys,
I haven't posted much as I haven't had a P car in a couple of years. I'm just about ready to start with some serious shopping for an '05 997. I see the opinions expressed on C2 vs. C2S and I'd like some feedback. Personally, I always like to go for the extra power. From what I've read here and elsewhere the 3.8 can be modified with intake, exhaust and electronics to upwards of 380 hp or so, w/o fear of major issues. Comments / opinions? I value the input.
Rono
Your are correct on the modding of the 3.8, I have done it all. Great car no regrets buying an "S". The best thing I never have to defend buying an "S" where the guys with the non S always seem like they need to defend their decision.

Bottom line they are both great cars.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:32 AM
StickShift964
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Nobody should ever have to defend buying a 911. They are are all awesome, any model even base model. You will enjoy all of them but I think you might enjoy the S more.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:36 AM
ibmiked
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

dndodd-

Not to hijack this thread, but your mods read like a laundry list of things I'd like to do to my car over time. I haven't seen a post of yours where you summarize the overall effect of everything you've done. After everything, was the difference dramatic? Would you do it again, or do anything differently?

Thanks! -Mike
Old 01-23-2008, 09:55 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 126 Posts

Buy the most car you can afford. It's much harder to upgrade things than you can imagine. The claims are everywhere by aftermarket tuners who will get you XX hp out of their stuff. Don't fall for most of that. Dynos can't tell you everything. There are several features of the S models that you don't want to miss out on. The lowered suspensin, the bi-xenons, etc.

You will later kick yourself for going cheap.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:15 AM
geof
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by StickShift964
Nobody should ever have to defend buying a 911. They are are all awesome, any model even base model. You will enjoy all of them but I think you might enjoy the S more.
+1. I have a base and love it! But the OP seemed to indicate that HP is desired- which is a valid personal preference- and so in his case an S probably would be better. He should drive both and make the decision for himself, if he can.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:48 AM
zizu
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Power is not everything. There is a lot of things going for the base model.
For instance, it's lighter, so it's more nimble, the 3.6 is a wonderful engine, praise by many auto journalists (Excellence, GTPorsche...) for its linear power delivery.
Also you are free to configure it the way you want:
You don't have to go with the PASM or bi-xenons (save weight), less gadgets for a pure experience.
If the brakes are not good enough (track day) and want to save more weight, go with the PCCBs.
I wish Porsche would offer an even more basic model, like the 93 RS America, with no PCM, no sunroof, AC delete, no leather: Pure 911
Old 01-23-2008, 10:49 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim 'n' SC
Really depends on how you are going to use the car? I have the C2 and 95% of the time can't use all the power I have. Yes, the "S" has bigger brakes, but can't use them either. I also wanted 18" rims that are standard on the base. They ride better and are cheaper to replace than 19" tires.
Unfortunately, you can't drive both models for extended periods to see if what Jim says is true but I suspect it is. I have the "S". I rarely get to use its power. I rarely get to use its brakes. In fact, I rarely get to use the car for what it is at all on the street. On the track is a different story. But even then, I can't say that the "S" would be any more fun. Both cars are awesome from a rational point of view. No matter which car you buy (even the GT-2) if you are hungry for power, at some point you will want more. I had a 996TT which I modded the crap out of and it still wasn't enough. Now I am a track junky and have different needs and wouldn't modify the powertrain at all. It's not worth it for many reasons.

Bottom line: Get the car your heart tells you to get and don't look back. Don't read the posts here that try to persuade you that one is definately better. When you get in, turn the key and feel your pulse quicken and that smile that seems to melt the worries of the day away, you will know why you own a Porsche. There is no substitute!

Quick Reply: to "s" or not, that is my question