Sponsored by:

3rd party extended warranties

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 05:11 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 3rd party extended warranties

Are there any decent companies offering extended warranties for the 997? In deciding whether or not to keep my car, I need to consider the fact that factory warranty expires in 18 months.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:00 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

If you have a good dealership....where you would plan to continue getting service.....I would ask them if they are recomending (or selling) an extended.

If you decide to keep the car past OE warranty....I believe it's money well spent (at least it would have been for me )
Old 02-13-2008, 07:57 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by GreggT
If you have a good dealership....where you would plan to continue getting service.....I would ask them if they are recomending (or selling) an extended.

If you decide to keep the car past OE warranty....I believe it's money well spent (at least it would have been for me )
Thanks. Actually, I was hoping to avoid my local dealership since they are such rip-off artists. That is why I was hoping to find a good 3rd party provider.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:19 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default try this

Their name sounds bit tacky but I researched this a while back, the same topic and came up with www.warrantydirect.com many people used them and highly recomended them for Porsches... this is just of my research, but again heard good things about them... good luck and let us know what you end up getting...

Originally Posted by keninirvine
Thanks. Actually, I was hoping to avoid my local dealership since they are such rip-off artists. That is why I was hoping to find a good 3rd party provider.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:36 PM
Laura
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your dealership can sell you a third party warranty (not CPO) but you can go to any dealer or most independents for service and the repair.
Easycare, Prism, Fidelity, GE.. They all have good points and bad. Don't go for the lowest level, they do not cover anything. Go platinum, it is worth the extra $.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:25 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by mickfluff
Their name sounds bit tacky but I researched this a while back, the same topic and came up with www.warrantydirect.com many people used them and highly recomended them for Porsches... this is just of my research, but again heard good things about them... good luck and let us know what you end up getting...
Thanks for the lead. Tried their website, and apparently they are not able to provide coverage in California until they resolve some kind of technicality.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:00 AM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the Fidelity Platinum one through Champion Motors. The earlier you buy it the less it costs due to overlap with the factory warranty coupled with low mileage. You can still get a long term warranty (up to 7/100) that will cover you well after the factory one is over, while saving $$. I would recommend servicing your car at the dealer who sold you the warranty....it just makes things easier. Be carefull though, some of these companies suck and have been known to go out of business.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:26 AM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

If you can't get one offered directly by the manufacturer then don't do it.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:16 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by adfsouth
I bought the Fidelity Platinum one through Champion Motors. The earlier you buy it the less it costs due to overlap with the factory warranty coupled with low mileage. You can still get a long term warranty (up to 7/100) that will cover you well after the factory one is over, while saving $$. I would recommend servicing your car at the dealer who sold you the warranty....it just makes things easier. Be carefull though, some of these companies suck and have been known to go out of business.
Thanks. Do these warranties and dealer extended warranties typically cover just mechanical drive train items etc. but exclude electronics such as PCM, ECU etc? I'm usually more worried about expensive electronic failures.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:51 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by adfsouth
Be carefull though, some of these companies suck and have been known to go out of business.
Yes they do. It's a totally unregulated business despite the insurance nature of what they're selling. I paid $900 for a policy about 7 years ago to cover a BMW 3 series I wanted to hang onto and lost it all after they filed Ch. 7. This was one of the largest most reputable companies in the business at the time (Warranty Gold) and a lot of people got screwed. I keep getting class action mailings to this day so some lawyers are still making money on this but I'm fairly certain no consumer will ever see a penny.

For me........I'll never buy an extended warranty from anyone other than the local dealership. If it's not backed by the factory brand you could be out of luck quickly, without warning and without recourse.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:42 PM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Do these warranties and dealer extended warranties typically cover just mechanical drive train items etc. but exclude electronics such as PCM, ECU etc? I'm usually more worried about expensive electronic failures.
The Platinum plans usually provide a specific list of what they don't cover. Porshce extended warranties are only available on CPO cars. Again, I would only buy an aftermarket warranty from a porsche dealer for obvious reasons and not all dealers sell'em. The first step would be to see what your dealer offers.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:23 PM
wetstuff
Pro

I liked this one for my Boxster - http://www.iwsgroup.com/ -It's available only thru a Credit Union (small deposit to open acct.) ..and with a small premium I would have gotten all my money back if it was not used. Transferable too.

The guy who bought the Box didn't want to pay me .50cents/dollar for it - so I closed it on him. Need to buy a few days before your factory expires... My 997 is CPO, but I'll spring for it. What's to loose - when you can get your $$ back?!

j i m
Old 02-14-2008, 02:09 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

From my experience, it's better to buy the extended warranty from the dealership where you plan on taking it to. And that's because if the service dept has not dealt with your warranty company, it could easily take days for things to get approved before work gets started. Which also means you are on your own as far as transportation goes. Also, other than what have been said that some companies have gone belly up in the past, many of these provider works on a reimbursement program. Which is something I am not comfortable with.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:42 PM
wetstuff
Pro

As a counterpoint to Wilfred; there's tons of secondary, very good, Porsche repairs shops (I like Tiff's in Annapolis in my area.) and I would tend to avoid franchise dealers with anything other than a factory warranty.

When I look at Tiff's building and his wife doing appointments/books for the last 30yrs vs. Checked Flag Porsche in VA Bch, for a random example, I have the impression a lot more of my money goes into repairing my car vs. CF's massive overhead nut. Only an impression...
Old 02-14-2008, 03:04 PM
Laura
Pro

FWIW, We have never had any problem if the aftermarket warranty has been bought at the dealership, auto broker or online. My customers who have aftermarket warranties ( I submit a couple every week) have generally been satisfied with what they have purchased. Proportionatley, more have been displeased with their CPO coverage than 3rd party coverage.

Quick Reply: 3rd party extended warranties