Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed cameras

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 10:21 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Actually when you think about it between GPS and the black box, you really don't need speed cameras. Our own cars could be programed to report us when we exceed any speed limit by 10 miles per hour. Then we could reassign those thousands of police officers from traffic enforcement to real law enforcement.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:10 PM
nyca
Three Wheelin'

Received 730 Likes on 405 Posts

except that could be defeated by covering the transmitter with some tin foil.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:12 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 998 Likes on 531 Posts

If porsche pulled the the cup holders they could replace them with a credit card reader.

When you go over the magic 10 mph the on-board computer would beep, shut down the car and not restart until you swipe your card.

Am I a visionary or what?

Originally Posted by fast1
Actually when you think about it between GPS and the black box, you really don't need speed cameras. Our own cars could be programed to report us when we exceed any speed limit by 10 miles per hour. Then we could reassign those thousands of police officers from traffic enforcement to real law enforcement.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:17 PM
Paladin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's Sellers as Dr. Strangelove.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:30 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

I forgot that there is one more insidious thing that the black can do; shut your car off!

OnStar equipped cars offer a "feature" to owners that sign up for it that allows the police to shut down your car if it is reported stolen. If memory serves, the shutdown forces the car's engine to a virtual crawl that gives the driver enough power to stop and pull over, but less getaway power than a bicycle with two flat tires.

Well, the next step is simply for the police to demand it to be shut down regardless of your signature or not. Since police already have the legal right to stop you if they want/need to, failure to comply can simply be met by turning off your car remotely. It could be the method of choice for the police to routinely stop all vehicles in the future rather than having the motorist voluntarily comply.

I am sure that the next step would be to electronically force cars to never exceed the speed limit. It would be simple to regulate a car's speed based on its GPS coordinates or some RF link to speed limit signs along the road. Once the percentage of cars with smart black boxes gets high enough I will bet that the idea will be put forward and pushed until it passes by law.

Finally, if enough people chose to own an older car without a black box how long to you think it will be before the state mandates a retrofit?

Remember, driving is a privilege, not a right.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:32 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
If porsche pulled the the cup holders they could replace them with a credit card reader.

When you go over the magic 10 mph the on-board computer would beep, shut down the car and not restart until you swipe your card.

Am I a visionary or what?
Porsche couldn't even get our stereo right, I doubt they can do this
Old 02-19-2008, 11:51 PM
plz
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be the method of choice for the police to routinely stop all vehicles in the future rather than having the motorist voluntarily comply.
Big can of worms Marv. Just imagine if the stop command was issued in such a way that the car stopped in the middle of a train track with a train coming up. Obscure example yes, but not impossible. Just sayin...
Old 02-20-2008, 12:04 AM
nyca
Three Wheelin'

Received 730 Likes on 405 Posts

I forgot that there is one more insidious thing that the black can do; shut your car off!

OnStar equipped cars offer a "feature" to owners that sign up for it that allows the police to shut down your car if it is reported stolen. If memory serves, the shutdown forces the car's engine to a virtual crawl that gives the driver enough power to stop and pull over, but less getaway power than a bicycle with two flat tires.

Well, the next step is simply for the police to demand it to be shut down regardless of your signature or not. Since police already have the legal right to stop you if they want/need to, failure to comply can simply be met by turning off your car remotely. It could be the method of choice for the police to routinely stop all vehicles in the future rather than having the motorist voluntarily comply.

I am sure that the next step would be to electronically force cars to never exceed the speed limit. It would be simple to regulate a car's speed based on its GPS coordinates or some RF link to speed limit signs along the road. Once the percentage of cars with smart black boxes gets high enough I will bet that the idea will be put forward and pushed until it passes by law.

Finally, if enough people chose to own an older car without a black box how long to you think it will be before the state mandates a retrofit?

all I can say Marv is that we live in a democracy - the people get the government they deserve. If they permit such excesses, we deserve what we get.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:08 AM
geof
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The wine has worn off and what you said reminded me of a scene in a movie, I think "I, Robot", and this scared me...
Old 02-20-2008, 06:54 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by THPorsche
Porsche couldn't even get our stereo right, I doubt they can do this
LOL!
Old 02-20-2008, 07:10 AM
eljeffo64
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Good vision is the only way to detect them.
Some newer radar detectors, like the Passport 9500 (which I love), have GPS and can mark "speed traps" for future reference. Of course the driver needs to identify these places and use the marking feature.
Most proprietry GPS software here have the static cameras integrated and is updated regularly so it's easier on the eyes, however - These things are everywhere in the UK and appearing more and more here in France - they have not been shown to reduce accidents even though they are always road signs advertising them in advance; in fact it's been known for people to have accidents as everyone approaching is looking at the speedo and not where they are going.

The procedure here is: drive fast - approach camera - slam on brakes - leave camera zone - speed up again.

They are revenue earning machines that's all!

One good thing though, the police and mobile radars rarely show up near the static spots. Welcome to my world!!
Old 02-20-2008, 07:44 AM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by nyca
all I can say Marv is that we live in a democracy - the people get the government they deserve. If they permit such excesses, we deserve what we get.
Since I believe in what you are posting, my comments are purely in the devil's advocate vein. Here's the contrary position. Driving is a privilege and not a right. In order to be granted this privilege we agree to abide by all of the laws enacted by our respective local governments, no matter how inane they may be. Technology is improving at warp speeds. Why not utilize this technology to enforce traffic laws?

Imagine the number of police who are dedicated to traffic law enforcement. With the proposed technology, at least 90% of these officers could be reassigned to real law enforcement.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:49 AM
fast1
Race Car

You could sell this idea in a number of ways. There's the safety argument, and then there's the improved gas mileage argument, and finally less CO2 emissions. I think this will eventually be implemented, but it will take a long time, hopefully.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:05 AM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by plz
Big can of worms Marv. Just imagine if the stop command was issued in such a way that the car stopped in the middle of a train track with a train coming up. Obscure example yes, but not impossible. Just sayin...
There are a number of scenarios where shutting off the engine would be catastrophic. Simply recording the speeding event is all that's required.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:28 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by plz
It doesn't stop the car, but disables it so that it drives ridiculously slow.

This is already the way OnStar does it.

Quick Reply: Speed cameras