Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Last hurrah for performance cars?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 09:48 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts
Default Last hurrah for performance cars?

With new rules and revised CAFE standards, the days of powerful, fuel-thirsty cars may soon be long gone.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/artic...13&topart=utes

I'm holding on to my Porsche for a long, long time.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:06 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Time for a Tesla.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:31 PM
Pugnacious
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It’s not just the USA’s CAFE standards that threaten high performance cars but the European Union is purposing drastic cuts in CO2 emissions in all cars by 2012. Generally the more powerful the engine, to more gas it uses and the more CO2 it produces. Only time will tell but I don’t see a bright future for high performance cars as we now know them.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:13 PM
DMB14
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Say it ain't so. Oh well, that gives us more of an excuse to drive the hell out of our cars while it's still fun...
Old 02-13-2008, 11:42 PM
nyca
Three Wheelin'

Received 723 Likes on 400 Posts

indeed. we are all living in the golden age of the gasoline powered automobile - right now. The sports cars and full powered sedans being produced right now, and over the next 5 years, will be the best ever produced in history.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:43 PM
nyca
Three Wheelin'

Received 723 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Pugnacious
It’s not just the USA’s CAFE standards that threaten high performance cars but the European Union is purposing drastic cuts in CO2 emissions in all cars by 2012. Generally the more powerful the engine, to more gas it uses and the more CO2 it produces. Only time will tell but I don’t see a bright future for high performance cars as we now know them.
The C02 regs, under the guise of global warming, are the back door governments are using to force higher efficiency cars - cars that consumers wouldn't buy on their own, if not forced into it, or scared into it with all the global warming hype.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:22 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Kind of reminds me of the 70's end-of-muscle-car era. Funny is things go in cycle, gone the muscle cars in the 70's, came back as hotcakes in the 90's economy boom.

I wonder if whoever buys a Viper SRT10 ACR today, might find it a hot collectable in the next future cycle...

Who do you folks think?

With best regards,
Old 02-14-2008, 01:24 AM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

I'm voting for ending all the hot air coming from the governments and politicians.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:00 AM
Duane993
Racer

Imagine being alive and old enough to buy any American muscle car you wanted from 1966 to 1971. Every year horsepower continued to increase. Then in 1973 the party abruptly ended due to emission standards. Looking back at it today it seems like a dream considering most of these cars that survived are sold at auction for mind boggling amounts. Guess what...we are living in that dream today. Todays performance cars exceed the muscle cars of days past with emissions that are bare fractions of those cars We are living in the last golden age of performance cars and yet once again this party is just about over. CO2 emission regulations will put a end to performance cars as we know them. California has already passed CO2 regulations. The auto industry is fighting a losing battle to delay these from becoming a national standard. Europe is not far behind and in some case ahead of the US. The new (and last) versions of the Cobra, Challenger SRT, Camero SS, Viper and GTFord may end up being as valuable than their 60's counter parts. As for Porsche's, who knows. Mid 60 to early 70 haven't held up well resale wise against muscle cars of the same era. Old BMW or MBZ haven't done very well either (except for a few tii's or MBZ rag tops). But for now, enjoy the party while it lasts. Take good care of your ride and who knows you may wake up one morning 20 years from know owning a high performance classic from those good old days at the turn of the century worth a small fortune.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:07 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Imagine being alive and old enough to buy any American muscle car you wanted from 1966 to 1971. Every year horsepower continued to increase. Then in 1973 the party abruptly ended due to emission standards. Looking back at it today it seems like a dream considering most of these cars that survived are sold at auction for mind boggling amounts. Guess what...we are living in that dream today. Todays performance cars exceed the muscle cars of days past with emissions that are bare fractions of those cars We are living in the last golden age of performance cars and yet once again this party is just about over. CO2 emission regulations will put a end to performance cars as we know them. California has already passed CO2 regulations. The auto industry is fighting a losing battle to delay these from becoming a national standard. Europe is not far behind and in some case ahead of the US. The new (and last) versions of the Cobra, Challenger SRT, Camero SS, Viper and GTFord may end up being as valuable than their 60's counter parts. As for Porsche's, who knows. Mid 60 to early 70 haven't held up well resale wise against muscle cars of the same era. Old BMW or MBZ haven't done very well either (except for a few tii's or MBZ rag tops). But for now, enjoy the party while it lasts. Take good care of your ride and who knows you may wake up one morning 20 years from know owning a high performance classic from those good old days at the turn of the century worth a small fortune.
Yep. Probably we should start putting together a list of today's American cars that have potential to becoming future collectable? I guess the list will be fun

My guess is:
- Viper SRT10 ACR
- Dodge Magnum SRT8
- Cadillac CTS-V
- Ford GT
- Chevy SSR

Regards,
Old 02-14-2008, 09:28 AM
dD/dt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Duane993
"Golden Age" is a great way to put it. As far as our cars being collectible -- they will someday. But don't forget that all those muscle cars spent the 80's and 90's rotting in barns and garages. You've gotta be in it for the long haul.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:36 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Makes me want to pick up a GT3, GT-R, Z06, or similar low production, high horsepower performance car and drive it sparingly.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:56 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

I don't see the problem. The issue is CO2 emissions, not power or performance. The challenge is for manufacturers to be creative and look for solutions that maintain performance expectations whilst reducing CO2 emissions. Porsche can reinvest some of it's cash into this challenge and put its best engineers onto the job.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:53 PM
CBnAT
Pro

I certainly hope the manufactures recognize the continued high demand for high powered fun to drive cars and make it stay a reality. I certainly don't want to see some ugly smog pump put onto our cars.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:38 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

wow, is that mean I need to baby my SRT8 and use the 997 as a beater?

Quick Reply: Last hurrah for performance cars?