Sponsored by:

New Sirius install

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 07:47 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts
Default New Sirius install

I hate outboard mounts but trade cars often and couldn't bring myself to spend $1,500 on the Cayenne mod. This a Sportster 5, plug & play so pops right out and onto the in-house dock. Antenna is invisible under the windshield wiper cowlings. Crystal clear reception and total cost was about $350 including installation and home kit.
Attached Images   
Old 02-26-2008, 08:30 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Is this FM modulated?
Who did your install?
Old 02-26-2008, 08:31 PM
CButler
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great. I have the Stiletto 2 but haven't installed it yet. Would you be able to take a pic of where exactly your antennae is mounted? Thanks much!
Old 02-26-2008, 09:41 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Looks a little tricky changing channels. But if you're happy with it, that's all that matters.

I'm glad I have the Cayenne kit installed into the PCM. Nothing in the way or mounted where it shouldn't in the interior. Besides, I'd rather drive than listen to the Sirius, but on commutes in slow traffic, at least I have Howard.

Deanski
Old 02-26-2008, 11:16 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

To be fair it comes with a remote as well.
Unless you're doing direct head unit integration, the best thing to do is to get the FM modulator kit.
It's only about $20, and it basically connects in line directly to your car's antenna lead to the deck.
You're still going to be listening through FM, basically, and you'll have to tune into a station that way, but you'll have the proper digital sound.
In a situation like this is perfect.

Personally, I'm on a promotional account with sirius. It's not bad for $15/mo, but I dunno if I would pay $1500 to get it hardwired, seems pricey.
$300 also seems a little steep, but still within the realm of reasonable-ness (yes I created a new word) assuming you have the in line antenna kit like I mentioned. Do 997's use the regular style antenna plugs in the back of the deck? Anyone know? If not, you might need one or a few adapters as well... Usually 10-15 a pop.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:59 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ELUSIVE
Is this FM modulated?
Who did your install?

Best Buy put it in. Nice work. Insisted I walk around the car with them as they marked off a checklist before accepting the keys. Advanced install was $72, FM modulator $30 and two antenna adapters $13 each. I usually go to Sound Advice for these kind of things but they didn't inspire me this time. Said they couldn't flush mount this unit where I wanted it and basically just offered to put either that or the old Stilletto version on an industrial size bracket to the right of the PCM.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:01 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CButler
Would you be able to take a pic of where exactly your antennae is mounted? Thanks much!
Somewhere underneath this. Might look like a bad idea but it works.... at least on my car.
Attached Images  
Old 02-27-2008, 02:08 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Deanski
Looks a little tricky changing channels.

Not with this. Only time I have to touch the unit is when i bring it inside the house, preset stations or turn it on/off which is easy to reach in the upper RH corner.
Attached Images  
Old 02-27-2008, 03:04 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

that remote SHOULD work with the home kit as well
Old 02-27-2008, 03:42 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Vancouver83LTD
that remote SHOULD work with the home kit as well

It does.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:16 PM
CButler
Instructor

Thanks very, very much, Vancouver. Just what I needed to know!
Old 02-27-2008, 09:22 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

I hope you have that remote velcro attached somewhere. Even if you have it stored somewhere, you still have to get at it, and select a channel when driving. Not a great idea when traveling. It borders on a hand-held cell phone in our state. Known as distracted driver, they can ticket you for just about anything besides driving.

Having it built into PCM, I have the presets done just like any channel and can change these very quickly and safely. It was designed this way, so why mess with remotes etc.

Hell, I DO have a remote for my K-40, and even selecting it to turn on and trying to select how I want the alerts while moving is very tricky, so I set it before I move now. It's also a smaler remote than the Sirius.

I have a remote for my Sirius for home and I tried to adjust it while staring straight and found it difficult.

I just hope you have limited channels preset....

Regards,
Deanski
Old 02-27-2008, 09:26 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CButler
Thanks very, very much, Vancouver. Just what I needed to know!
No problem. Glad I could help.
Often times customers would see these little bits and pieces being added to the bill and think that they're possibly being nickel and dimed. You often have to take the salesman's word that yes, those little adapters that you can't see & don't know about are required. Some install shops will not let you in the bay to watch them work, some will.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:28 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Deanski
Having it built into PCM, I have the presets done just like any channel and can change these very quickly and safely. It was designed this way, so why mess with remotes etc.
I actually realized exactly where all the buttons are. I can do it by feel almost instantaneously now. Some people can and some people can't, it's not the perfect solution for everyone. Presets is a better idea.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:35 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Whichever works for you... Just be careful with remotes in a car.

I watched my sister-in-law loose the remote (dropped off the velcro) and while driving, she makes the choiuce to look for it while driving I told her I'll find it.

It's as bad with mini-vans with the video entertainment systems... Too much distraction as I almost got rearended in my company car by some woman trying to resolve some issue with the video being played and which child wanted to watch etc as there was some serious action in that van.

Bottom line, as long as we can get Sirius or XM in these thing is the key! Can anyone listen to standard FM? UGH!

Regards,
Deanski

Quick Reply: New Sirius install