Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just picked up my new 997.... First thoughts...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 11:36 PM
doctorpcar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just out of curiosity, the smell I am getting from the car, like burned rubber, I assume that is just the transmission breaking in, the clutch, etc? It's not strong, very mild, but it seems like you can smell the car at work, not just the leather. This is typical with other high performance cars during the first few hundred miles, but just wondering about the 911.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:36 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default below 5K rpm

thats why I never drive my s2000 below 5K rpm I know what your saying, but what I love about my honda is it kept me going slow, what I mean is when you want to go fast in a s2000 you have to work the car which to me can be fun. (I love to drive, really drive, shift and V-tec the car sreams...) The porsche seems effortless to get going in comparison..... two just so different cars no doubt. The commute home was nice.... I have a feeling I will love my new 997... thanks again all for the comments......

Originally Posted by MLindgren
The reason it doesn't feel as fast as expected is due to the level of refinement.

I've driven a friends S2000 and unless your pedaling north of 5000rpm it feels like a civic with minimal torque down low. The Porsche hits earlier and has a more linear torque curve.

Don't worry, you'll get used to it.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:44 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by doctorpcar
Just out of curiosity, the smell I am getting from the car, like burned rubber, I assume that is just the transmission breaking in, the clutch, etc? It's not strong, very mild, but it seems like you can smell the car at work, not just the leather. This is typical with other high performance cars during the first few hundred miles, but just wondering about the 911.
Mostly cosmoline which is used to protect engine parts prior to shipment. As with all new cars that come over, it will go away in time.

They all have a very obnoxious odor at first. It's the interior leather that smells so damn wonderful. Keeping it clean and using the right conditioner is key.

Deanski
Old 03-08-2008, 01:21 AM
romeroe
Advanced

It might feel faster when you get it on the track - it's a whole new game out there.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:29 AM
Sprintrider
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

I keep looking for pictures but alas, there are none.

This thread is useless without pictures

Congrats, and enjoy the car, even if we can only imagine what it looks like
Old 03-08-2008, 10:13 AM
Jerry Fisher
Instructor

Deanski---It did try to push him to the C2S. The M will be his first German car (coming from a big engine Camaro) and I was the one who pointed the M-3 out to him before he was going to just stay in the Chebbie family and buy a Corvette.

I am not even sure he will love the M3 considering he like those torque monsters and 0-60 / 1/4 stuff.

I had an M roadster and an M-3...great cars...but 997s....a whole other level IMHO.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:20 AM
Jerry Fisher
Instructor

Mickfluff-

Go away from it for a few days---drive something else and come back. The difference will be very obvious. Its winter here and I have dirven my car twice since Decemeber. All I could say was
HolY S-it...and that was tasking it easy due to lack of summer tire adhesion. Spring can't come too soon for me.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:41 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default I will post pics

I will get pics up, but keep in mind I just got it friday and not suer where your located but here in Ma/Boston its rain rain rain.....past few days been rain and 3 inches + today alone. Been a typhoon. I will get pics up soon of interior.....
Thanks....

Originally Posted by Sprintrider
I keep looking for pictures but alas, there are none.

This thread is useless without pictures

Congrats, and enjoy the car, even if we can only imagine what it looks like
Old 03-08-2008, 03:49 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default will do....

It will sit in my barn for a few months before I drive it for consecutive days as it is winter here as well (boston area) but some nice days will be coming soon...... I am in Newport RI now where I have my honda s2k, just took it out after it sat for a few months in my garage down here and there is a clear difference no doubt....I am aleady starting to appreciate my purchase more! My honda all of a sudden feels like a casket, tight and just to closed in.

Originally Posted by Jerry Fisher
Mickfluff-

Go away from it for a few days---drive something else and come back. The difference will be very obvious. Its winter here and I have dirven my car twice since Decemeber. All I could say was
HolY S-it...and that was tasking it easy due to lack of summer tire adhesion. Spring can't come too soon for me.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:52 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jerry Fisher
Deanski---It did try to push him to the C2S. The M will be his first German car (coming from a big engine Camaro) and I was the one who pointed the M-3 out to him before he was going to just stay in the Chebbie family and buy a Corvette.

I am not even sure he will love the M3 considering he like those torque monsters and 0-60 / 1/4 stuff.

I had an M roadster and an M-3...great cars...but 997s....a whole other level IMHO.
I too once had a Vette (69 L-88) very sick car. Last car was a Lexus SC430. Geting the C2S was like night and day. More so when I did my test drive with the dealer. As I was going around a corner from I84 to Rt7, he told me to just turn into the corner, keep off the brake. I did and what a difference! As he said, this is no Lexus! Boy that sure was true!

Every time I get in the car and drive it, it's just the biggest thrill. Always gets the ****-eating grin in my book!!

As for your friend, he needs more seat time in a 997 C2S!!!

Deanski
Old 03-08-2008, 11:37 PM
Sprintrider
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mickfluff
I will get pics up, but keep in mind I just got it friday and not suer where your located but here in Ma/Boston its rain rain rain.....past few days been rain and 3 inches + today alone. Been a typhoon. I will get pics up soon of interior.....
Thanks....
Mickfluff,

3" of rain is more than we get in Reno per year.

I don't think i have driven my P-Car in the rain yet. Hope the wipers work

Wet Porsche Pics. Hmmmm
Old 03-09-2008, 01:49 PM
KeithR3
Pro

Go back to your S2000. You'll see the light then.

Quick Reply: Just picked up my new 997.... First thoughts...