Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just picked up my new 997.... First thoughts...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 02:31 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Just picked up my new 997.... First thoughts...

Well new for me, 2005, 17K miles..... Manual nicely optioned.

I love the lay out of the car, the inside cockpit is just perfect. The car is smooth and surpisingly quiet inside the cabin. (I am comming from s2000 with exhaust etc..) I was thinking new exhaust, Tubi, exhaust hack etc.... but now I kinda like the calmness and quieter sound. Now I am a mod hound so who knows if that will change.... The car shifts well, longer throws then I am use to but my wife will drive so not sure if I will do a short kit set up....

Power was nice, even, smooth..... I was not blown out of my seat with the power or speed but it just felt right.... hard to explain. Not saying a little more wouldn't be welcomed but I feel that way in every car I dive. (no, not saying yet that I wished I bought the S) Also although it didn't "feel" much faster then my s2000 (I know it is) at WOT I can say the car felt better, more planted, much more refined and clear the overall build quality is there. The car felt just very "connected" if that makes any sense. Almost nervous to screw with it by adding 19's, coil overs etc....

I left the car feeling as if it was kinda a hybrid which I wasn't expecting, kinda thought Porsche = sports car and thats it...... let me finish..... the car drove just so nice, more room inside then I thought, cabin more quiet then I am use to, nice options, comfortable seats etc.... almost felt like I just bought a luxury touring sports coupe rather then "pure sports car"...This is not a negative, more a positive as we know the 997 is a contender in any sports car shoot out.
I see why this car appeals to so many people.....

I walked into work with a smile, not 100% what I was expecting but better in it's own way. Now I am early owner here people so please don't crush me if I mis-spoke..... sure I may feel different after some time behind the wheel....

I have a tech art full coil over set up in my office, got a solid deal on it used with 1K miles on it..... I am having second thoughts if I want to install, but again too early to say as I only drove the car 40+ miles.... so not sure I would list for sale just yet but may sell if anyone interested just PM me.... Besides rims (19Rufs) I may keep the car closer to stock then I thought, with some light touches of course....

Thanks for everyone's comments and answers to my questions along the way.... I am very happy with the car and can't wait for my commute home!!!!!:jumper :
Old 03-07-2008, 02:35 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No pictures?

I closed this thread and did not read.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:36 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay, just jokin'.

Congrats!!!
Old 03-07-2008, 02:38 PM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 115 Posts

You just need to get a few thousand miles seat time in the car before you do anything. It may just be the contrast from your s2000 or maybe all the build up of expectaions in waiting for the car.

Go get driving!

Matt
Old 03-07-2008, 02:46 PM
pred8or
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont have mine yet but I understand the doesnt feel much faster comment. Coming from an E46 M3 when I test drove the Boxters, Cayman's, C2S, and C4s they all felt slower to me. However if you look at the speedo its obviously not true. I would explain it as feeling smooth and effortless, without that thrust you feel in so many cars, when you finally get into the powerband . Thanks can't wait to add my comments after I get mine!
Old 03-07-2008, 03:16 PM
CButler
Instructor

Mick -- I felt the same way when I went from my G35 Coupe to my Carrera S. On delivery day, when I told my salesman that the car didn't "feel" much faster than what I had (and knowing at the time that he had a G35 Coupe, too), he just looked at me like I was nuts. Now, having owned the Carrera S for 18 months, I can most certainly say that it is MUCH faster (and the same for your S2000 to Carrera transition) -- and now FEELS that way. Not a day goes by that I don't wish it felt more AMG-ish off the line, but that feeling soon evaporates when I upshift into third. For some reason, the Carrera (much less the "S") just feels so fast in third, whereas most cars have begun to feel slower at that point. Once the initial off-the-line momentum is behind you, these cars scream. Leave a red light at 80% throttle sometime and check your rear-view. Within 8 seconds the traffic behind you becomes nothing larger than a postage stamp on the horizon. Enjoy in good health.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:32 PM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Spend more time behind the wheel and you'll grow to appreciate this serious machine more and more. after 2 mos behind my 997 c2s i've grown more comfortable with the handling, performance, and speed. of course it helped that i installed a laser jammer i've never owned an automobile i've looked forward to driving as much as my p-car, i'm almost certain you'll feel the same way after several months.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:41 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Well written mickfluff...I understand completely. Enjoy it. Its a whole new world out there.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:56 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mickfluff
.... almost felt like I just bought a luxury touring sports coupe rather then "pure sports car"
But a luxury touring sports coupe is EXACTLY what the 911 is and always has been. Probably the best ever. I suspect you'll enjoy it more and more as time goes on, like most of us.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:12 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Dave
But a luxury touring sports coupe is EXACTLY what the 911 is and always has been. Probably the best ever. I suspect you'll enjoy it more and more as time goes on, like most of us.
+1
Old 03-07-2008, 09:54 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

The reason it doesn't feel as fast as expected is due to the level of refinement.

I've driven a friends S2000 and unless your pedaling north of 5000rpm it feels like a civic with minimal torque down low. The Porsche hits earlier and has a more linear torque curve.

Don't worry, you'll get used to it.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:00 PM
doctorpcar
Instructor

Originally Posted by MLindgren
The reason it doesn't feel as fast as expected is due to the level of refinement.

I've driven a friends S2000 and unless your pedaling north of 5000rpm it feels like a civic with minimal torque down low. The Porsche hits earlier and has a more linear torque curve.

Don't worry, you'll get used to it.
Totally agree, there's feeling fast and being fast. You buy for the horsepower and drive for the torque, yada yada. The 911 is just refined as has been said.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:30 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 to predat8r M3 was fast...but almost twitchy,a nd I felt like I ALWAYs had to be ricky racer...the 911 is simply a joy to be in, no matter the speed (and its damn fast as well)....reality is, how fast can you drive on these roads anyway?...I work hard I like nice things Porsche is the creme de la creme....
Old 03-07-2008, 11:21 PM
Jerry Fisher
Instructor

Took a friend for a ride. Big Corvette fan with a new M-3 or order. His reaction was as follows...I really did not know what to expect. It did not feel that fast at first but it also felt like it would never stop accelerating. I also had no idea you had intended to make a right turn at that last intersection. That car is amazing. Now I GET IT. Someday maybe I can join the club.

The car is fast..deceptiively fast and incredibly compotent.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:32 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Jerry Fisher:

Tell your friend to cancel the M3 order and get the C2S!

As for new ownership, boy do I know it well and remember it. I picked up my C2S at the dealer with CD in hand. Slip Sammy Hagar "I can't drive... 55!" into the CD player. Started it up, hit sport mode, normal shocks and drove off.

The ride home was like nothing else I've ever experienced. Corners were no longer just corners, the feel of it, the sound of it and the smell of it was intoxicating.

To this day, I still love the way it drives, sounds handles and yes, smell.

Enloy you new Porsche in good health!!!!

Regards,
Deanski

Quick Reply: Just picked up my new 997.... First thoughts...