Sponsored by:

Farnbacher Loles Power Plus > X51

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 03:13 PM
PorschePaul
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
We're a bit tighter on emissions in California. I suspect there is a clause on this kit "not for use on highways in California..."
I purchased the beginning of this a 997S with the FB X-51 upgrades and my car passed the California smog check with flying colors. Love the car!
Old 03-28-2008, 11:13 PM
awilks
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Andre/this Sunday should work

Andre, yes it was your car, and I sent you a PM...Sunday afternoon should work. Would be very interesting to drive our respective cars back to back and possibly do a couple of rolling start side by side runs. I know a quiet stretch of highway or two it might work assuming no other cars around.
-Andy
Old 03-29-2008, 12:46 PM
Pugnacious
Racer

Originally Posted by marine8541
Well lets end that now ...The last time I checked I was the expert in the field.

Stock Exhaust valve: 996 105 273 03
X51 Valve: 997 105 112 40

Any other questions?
If you are “the expert in the field” this should be no problem for you. For the second time, I have a question. Just because there are two different part numbers for the exhaust valve doesn’t necessarily mean the exhaust valve is larger for the X51 but only different in some way. So for the second time, in order for you to assert that the exhaust valve for the X51 is larger, what are the dimensions (diameter) of both exhaust valves? Showing there are two different part numbers may be enough to convince others here but it does not prove to me that the X51 has a larger exhaust valve.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:55 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pugnacious
If you are “the expert in the field” this should be no problem for you. For the second time, I have a question. Just because there are two different part numbers for the exhaust valve doesn’t necessarily mean the exhaust valve is larger for the X51 but only different in some way. So for the second time, in order for you to assert that the exhaust valve for the X51 is larger, what are the dimensions (diameter) of both exhaust valves? Showing there are two different part numbers may be enough to convince others here but it does not prove to me that the X51 has a larger exhaust valve.
From TSB 7/05 1001 Performance Increase Kit Installation Instructions(l No. X51) -- dated Feb 10, 2006

"A parts kit is available for increasing the performance of the standard engine.
Increased performance is achieved by implementing the following measures on the engine:
- new cylinder heads with flow-optimized intake and exhaust ports;
- exhaust ports and exhaust valves with larger cross-section and stronger exhaust valve springs;
- new exhaust manifolds with larger cross-section and optimized flow behavior;
- new intake manifolds with modified cross·section (material: aluminum sand cast);
- new throttle housing (referred to below as electronic throttle adjuster) with larger cross-section (previously: 76 mm diameter; new: 82 mm diameter);
- new air cleaner housing made of carbon with two intake channels;
- modified maps for the DME control module;
- increased engine rpm.
Certain modifications are also required and the following preconditions must be met on the vehicle side:
- sports exhaust system including chrome-plated tailpipes;
- new underbody cover in the rear area;
- additional radiator together with an additional air inlet in the front apron - not for vehicles with Tiptronic transmission (I No. 249)."
Old 03-29-2008, 01:17 PM
Pugnacious
Racer

Originally Posted by marine8541
All Exhaust springs in 3.8S and X51 are : 996 105 118 01

There is no difference.
Originally Posted by Loren
From TSB 7/05 1001 Performance Increase Kit Installation Instructions(l No. X51) -- dated Feb 10, 2006

"A parts kit is available for increasing the performance of the standard engine.
Increased performance is achieved by implementing the following measures on the engine:
- exhaust ports and exhaust valves with larger cross-section and stronger exhaust valve springs;
- new intake manifolds with modified cross·section (material: aluminum sand cast);
- new throttle housing (referred to below as electronic throttle adjuster) with larger cross-section (previously: 76 mm diameter; new: 82 mm diameter);
- increased engine rpm.
Certain modifications are also required and the following preconditions must be met on the vehicle side:
- additional radiator together with an additional air inlet in the front apron - not for vehicles with Tiptronic transmission (I No. 249)."
Thank you for the clarification (I would still be interested in the actual diameters) but now the mystery remains as to how the valve springs can have the same part number (and we are told there are no differences) but in the TSB it states that the X51 exhaust valve spring is stronger.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:21 AM
dndodd
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe the replacement part is the x-51 part. Cheaper just to have one part.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:38 PM
marine8541
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Loren

- increased engine rpm.
Thanks for the post Loren. I do not have the time to clarify what I already clarified in the fist place over and over again for everybody.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:41 PM
marine8541
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dndodd
Maybe the replacement part is the x-51 part. Cheaper just to have one part.
Exactly, the part was originally a 00 an changed to an 01. While it was stiffer at the time it is now the standard in all the 997.

Quick Reply: Farnbacher Loles Power Plus > X51