Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 09:11 AM
dD/dt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Checklist for my 997 order

In this order:

1. Buy new car for Mrs. /dt.

Done. Got a new Acura MDX with the nav unit. Dark red over sand leather, beautiful.

2. Join Rennlist

After hanging around here and learning more than I thought I could without actually owning one of these things, the membership fee seems like a really sound investment to help make sure this board stays up and running for us to hang out. Thanks to all of you who make this board so informative. (Still listed as a user as I pd by credit card).

3. Figure out the timing of the purchase:

Anywhere from one month to one year from now. This is really where I'm hoping you guys can offer some insight. One of the local dealers has no allocations for 2008 C2S, and I don't know about the others. He is offering the first MY09 C2S allocation, with a build date in July/August. We'll negotiate prices based on '08, and I will pay a prorated % of the increase.

From my financial standpoint, well, the purchase is within reach, and the longer I wait, the more comfortable it will be. OTOH, the longer I wait, the longer I'm not driving my new 997. So it really comes down to when I can get the best deal. If that's next month, great, if it's in a year, that's fine too.

So my questions:
-Dealer says 5-7% off MSRP and financing in mid-5's. Granted this was our first discussion, but I'm hoping for 9-10% on an order to spec C2S or T4S. Is this realistic? Financing seems about right, as I know there aren't going to be any Honda-style finance deals.
-Are there any open allocations for 08 T4S? C2S?
-Any forecast for what % of MSRP the dealers are going to want on MY09? (I know, this is an obnoxious question)
-Anybody know if the factory can still make a dark olive metallic for MY08?

4. Finalize car and options

Here's the rundown of the build, as of today:

Targa 4S
Dark Olive Metallic
natural brown full leather interior
wheel cap colored crest
heated seats
power seats
PSE
Bose
fire extinguisher
floor mats
self-dimming mirrors
supple leather

And my take on the options:

nav- thought I'd get this but too many people on here say it sucks. Going to buy a handheld and throw it in the glovebox.

seats- may dump the power seats, as I'll be the only one driving except on rare occassions. The adaptive sport seats don't fit (5'10", 35" waist, 44 jacket) I feel like I'm sitting in front of the seats instead of on them. Supple leather seems a little fruity but looks and feels great.

color- I've yet to see a 911 in DOM, but the dealer has a Cayenne with it. It's stunning. It looks like basalt black except in direct sunlight, when you finally get that it's green. Part of me is still thinking about ruby red. However, I'm sure of the NB interior, and just have to pick the paint. Money is not an issue as it would be stupid to spend $112k on a car and save $2k getting a color I don't love.

Again, thanks, and keep it up.

-Alex
Old 04-13-2008, 10:20 AM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Car sounds great Alex. Why not grab the allocation for an '09 but keep your eyes open for the '08 that matches your taste. Once the new specs are finalized you might decide the new package is not worth the extra $$. Love the color choice by the way.

On the navigation, I happen to be one who wouldn't get another 911 without it. It's so convenient to hit the map button and see an instant shot of where your at and an alternate way to get where your going. On the rare occasion I don't have a clue where I'm going I don't find it that hard to enter in the address and get directions. Also, the rumors have been put up regarding a change to the whole PCM system going forward including touch screen. Certainly the nav system would be improved if this comes to be. I have a couple hand held units but find them much more inconvenient to put up and take down and I don't care for the way they look so wouldn't leave the up.

I haven't dealt with him but based on recommendations from many here I would definitely give a call to Chris at North Olmsted and see what sort of deal they would offer up to have something to compare your current dealer to. Have yet to see anything negative on RL.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:27 AM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

I have zero experience with the Porsche navigation as mine has a Pioneer aftermarket unit which I really like. In my 944, I use a Tom-tom. It's entry level so these comments may not apply to more expensive models, but it's a pain in the neck. It is always falling off and it's dented my boost guage ring a few times. It's also small and can be awkward to use.

Have you talked with Ken at Stoddard or Matt at Cascade?
Old 04-13-2008, 10:48 AM
SilverSteel
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 141 Posts

Had the nav and it was a pain in the butt compared to an over the counter unit. Sure it isn't the most attractive piece on your dash, but it works better (garmin). Now if someone is saying they're going to a touch face unit like in my lexus, then I certainly would consider it..."consider it".

Oh, I would shop the price with some of the better recommendations from this board. I found a couple that beat the pants of the dealer here in Dallas. Don't concern yourself with buying out of state. Your dealer will be slobbering all over himself to service your car...that's where the money is on these things anyway.

Love your build-out. I understand your comment about sitting in front of the seat. I felt the same way as I'm a 46 with 33 waist and felt like the seat was squeezing me out at the top. Buy what you feel best in--no question about it.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:55 AM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the nav and I like it. However, it is the first of my cars to have one. I wanted the factory look vs a beanbag with a screen on top. It works, its accurate and is not that bad to use. Try it before you say no. Otherwise it will be a very expensive retro fit....GR

Last edited by GR997S; 04-14-2008 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:23 AM
richc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the NAV in my T4S - never turned it on. I use my Garmin - but only because I sort of know how to use it and don't need/want to stumble thru another learning curve for an electronic gizmo.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:24 AM
dD/dt
Racer

Thanks for the feedback so far.

I've been dealing with Gene and Bill at Fred Baker. They seem like decent guys, and we haven't really gotten serious on the pricing talks yet -- that was their opening. Anyone on here bought from them or shopped with them yet? I'm going to call or PM Chris at PNO, and Brad at Stoddard seemed pretty reasonable when we were there looking at an A6 Avant for Mrs. /dt a couple weeks ago. We will be moving to Orange County NY in July, and buying out of state doesn't bother me at all.

Re the nav, the jury's out. It seems like a Coke vs Pepsi thing, and there are good arguments on both sides. Part of my concern is that I keep hearing it's not too detailed, and my family and I are about to move to a fairly rural area. Anyone tried nav in OCNY or lower Hudson valley?

Alex
Old 04-13-2008, 11:47 AM
OH997
Pro

I have worked with Gene on a couple cars and I've been very happy with the results. When it's time to place the order you can do better then the 5-7% discount with Baker. Drop me a PM if you want to talk and I can give you some background on my purchases.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:33 PM
Pugnacious
Racer

To each his own but I have the factory nav (and have spent the time to learn how to use it) and whereas I know the after market units are more user friendly and offer more features, the last thing I want in a $100,000+ luxury car is an after market unit attached to the windshield with suction cups or sliding around the dash mounted to a bean bag, having to route wires to a power outlet and then have to remember to turn the thing off when I exit the car. The factory unit looks like it belongs in the car and not like an after thought or like you are trying to pinch pennies.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:55 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dD/dt
Supple leather seems a little fruity but looks and feels great.
My two cents is that supple leather shows wear more quickly than non-supple because the ruffles begin to get compressed together, making the seat appear tired. Crumbs can also get stuck in the ruffles, which is a PITA to clean out.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:56 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

I have seen the dark olive/green metallic up close on several occasions. In most lighting it looks like black. When the sun is on it,--it comes alive. It's a stunning color when coupled with natural brown, which I'm partical to, as one of the richest leathers available for the 911. Over time, I have found the natural brown much easier to live with than I would have guessed. Unfortunately, much of the interior of these cars today is not covered in leather despite the term "ful leather" interior. You need to keep that in mind. I will list my order at the bottom so that you can see what you may have overlooked. Things like the leather door finishers and the rear center console in leather with perhaps the logo/name embossed on it will provide the continuity of the stitching all the way back. Will toss in an interior shot to give you an idea.

Wheels,--for a 911, get the widest they make available. XRR are those.

PSE,--wise choice. Having a cabriolet, I get to appreciate the engine sound more than most. With coupes they miss out on a lot of that unless driven with the sunroof and windows open all the time. Having it switchable is great.

Navigation works quite well, truly. I personally would never own one with a touch screen because (1) touch screen controls are often too close together and you can easily hit the wrong ones when bouncing along in a 911, and (2) will leave fingerprints all over the front of the screen. I can't tell you how useful it is and it such beats putting something with SUCTION CUPS on your window. Talk about afterthought, I don't care how great the Garmin man-machine-interface is. Two things will happen there. One, you won't be able to use it all the time because you won't bother to put it up, and two, leaving it up all the time is essentially just 'integrated it' without the advantage of having it integrated.

I can't say that Porsche's talents at some of their interior feature designs are perfect or seamless but having the nav capability is extremely useful. I use it a lot. At some point you may need a heads-free device for telephone,--forget the Porsche 999 option,--TOOKI by NAV-TV works surprisingly well, and the M-M-I is superior. Why they haven't adopted it as OEM is beyond me, but it reeks of a bit of not-invented-here arrogance.

What I went with:

997 S Cabriolet 6-speed
98 Non-Metallic Paint to Sample (3AS Blue Turquoise)
06 Natural Leather Brown
CDZ Gear Lever Trim Leather
CUC Painted Model Desig Rear Lid
CUV Storage Cmpt Lid W/Model Logo
CZD Interior Light Cover Leather
M6H Brown Floor Mats
P01L Adaptive Sports Sts Lthr Int
V9 Black Top
XCZ Sport Shifter
XLF Sport Exhaust System
XMP Lthr Sun Visors Lighted Mirror
XMZ Rear Center Console - Leather
XRR 19" Carrera Sport wheel
XSB Sport Seat Backs in Leather
XTV Door Finishers Lthr
267 Self Dimming Mirrors
342 Heated Front Seats
451 Makassar Str Whl Multifctn
446 Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
450 Ceramic Composite Brakes-PCCB
482 TPMS
498 Delete Model Designation
509 Fire Extinguisher
550 Hard Top
640 Sport Chrono Package Plus
672 Extended Nav Module
680 Bose High End Sound Package
692 Remote CD Changer
801 Makassar Package
TD5 Tourist Delivery
Attached Images    
Old 04-13-2008, 03:10 PM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

if you're considering it, most definitely get the nav option. i won't get another without factory nav. i've had factory units in my bmw's and in my 997, but a garmin (widescreen top of the line) for my old wagon. the garmin ain't bad, but what's most annoying, is when you need it quick, it takes a while to load up and often the antennae isn't strong enough to pull in a signal, so it will literally take minutes (and sometimes never) for the nav to work. i often use my nav on the go and last minute-- when i find myself in new areas or trying to find new routes, avoiding traffic/accidents, etc. so instant access is key. also, i don't even attach my nav to my windshield as it's annoying/unsightly to deal with. all that being said, factory nav is a must. it's so easy to hit that button and have instant access.

otw, pricing and interest seem on point. but aren't you interesting in being patient and waiting for the facelift model? imho, i'd wait. we p-owners are a neurotic bunch and it's tough to ignore the latest and greatest being thrown at us. good luck!
Old 04-13-2008, 03:19 PM
Dave in Oregon
Instructor

I read on one of the message boards that Dark Olive will be DISCONTINUED for MY 09. You might have the dealer confirm whether this color will be an option.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:39 PM
dD/dt
Racer

First, thanks again for the feedback.

If dk olive is discontinued, that basically means it's an extra $1k (or $1M, if you're more partial to latin than Greek) to buy it as a paint to sample. My experience so far has been that you guys are better informed than the salespeople on these matters. None of them has heard anything about the problem with a cobalt blue order car before the paint shed blew up (what ever happened with that, anyway?).

Nav
Very interesting discussion here. Most of the other discussions I've seen on here seem dominated by people who think it's a waste of time and money. Certainly the car's heritage lies in the Teutonic philosophy that one should know where he's going before stepping into the car. But there are a lot of fans coming through now. I must say it's tempting; I'm just afraid that it won't have any good detail in the sticks of Orange County NY. I've got an '01 Land Cruiser for snow, airport runs, and trips into the city.

Thanks for the feedback on the ruffled leather -- anything that wears quickly doesn't fit my mission profile. This will be a DD, between hospitals, to the tune of 20k miles a year. Like I said, I'm keeping the Land Cruiser to keep this out of the snow, and more importantly, the salt. But this will not be a weekender or a Garage Queen.

Dan- I've still got to figure out the details on the leather interior. Thanks for the feedback. With a full leather NB interior, how are the seatbacks finished if you don't order leather?
Old 04-13-2008, 04:32 PM
richc
Pro

Here's a recent review of the '08 Nav system.

http://reviews.cnet.com/convertible/...-32915295.html

Quick Reply: Checklist for my 997 order