Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got run off the road by an old man...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 11:39 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
It could have been worse. He could have been driving an SUV or truck like just about everyone does in my area. Actually I'm exagerating since only around 70% of the vehicles in my area are trucks or SUVs.

Some common traits for the majority of these drivers: 1. They have no idea where the right fender of their vehicle is; 2. They believe that the yellow line in the middle of the road is simply a decoration; and 3. They believe that since they have a large vehicle they are entitled to at least 3/4 of the road.
And Rule 4: they are all talking on a f^*$#ing cell phone.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:54 PM
b911s
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont know whether you just curbed it or actually bent the wheel but these are very hard to have fixed correctly. Only thing you really can have done is send it to have the outer lip replaced, ballpark around $400 as long as only outer lip, any more and it's toast. Best thing is to just bite the bullet and buy a new one and put the other one in the house for some automotive art. You should be able to find a replacment for around $1000-$1100 for a new one.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:22 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Was the old guy wearing a hat? That's usually a clue that they are clueless on the highway.
Maybe he was talking on his cellphone
Old 04-15-2008, 12:23 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by triode
And Rule 4: they are all talking on a f^*$#ing cell phone.
whoops....didn't see your post
Old 04-15-2008, 03:11 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBonus
So now I get to shop around for someone who can repair BBS LMs.
Used these guys recently and was impressed: http://www.mobilewheelrepair.com/usa..._delaware.html

They came to my house with a little trailer in tow which turned out to be a mobile alloy wheel shop. Small but full of tools and machinery that he said fixes everything except badly bent rims.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:55 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by b911s
Dont know whether you just curbed it or actually bent the wheel but these are very hard to have fixed correctly. Only thing you really can have done is send it to have the outer lip replaced, ballpark around $400 as long as only outer lip, any more and it's toast. Best thing is to just bite the bullet and buy a new one and put the other one in the house for some automotive art. You should be able to find a replacment for around $1000-$1100 for a new one.
You are joking, right? I have had "people" run me into curbs in DC on three different occasions now. Each time it caused varying degrees of curb rash on my wheels. Twice it damaged the BBS RS-GTs that I had on my 996. The local wheel doctor reparied them for less than $150 per wheel ($120 IIRC) and I would defy you to tell that the wheel had been repaired. Perfect. So if someone is charging you $400 to repair curb rash on the outer lip they are ripping you off bigtime.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:04 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Used these guys recently and was impressed: http://www.mobilewheelrepair.com/usa..._delaware.html

They came to my house with a little trailer in tow which turned out to be a mobile alloy wheel shop. Small but full of tools and machinery that he said fixes everything except badly bent rims.
Really? Impressive. I may give them a call.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:05 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by b911s
The rim is luckily not bent. Just some bad curb rash. I barely ended up clipping the curb by probably a few millimeters.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:09 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

The rim is luckily not bent. Just some bad curb rash. I barely ended up clipping the curb by probably a few millimeters.
don't even think about separating the rim. no need whatsoever. Plenty of places that can easily repair curb rash.

Really? Impressive. I may give them a call.
Although I do not know these guys, this is the type of place to use . . . one tip is to ask your dealer who they use. The really good wheel repairers serve dealers first. How do you think all of the rims on the used cars they have look so good?
Old 04-15-2008, 09:31 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TD in DC
don't even think about separating the rim. no need whatsoever. Plenty of places that can easily repair curb rash.

Although I do not know these guys, this is the type of place to use . . . one tip is to ask your dealer who they use. The really good wheel repairers serve dealers first. How do you think all of the rims on the used cars they have look so good?
Cool. Thanks!
Old 04-15-2008, 09:54 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

I would use the mobile guys for superficial touchups, but not for a bent rim. When I was into racing, I was often damaging my wheels, and I would always take them to the "Ole Wheel Shop" in MD." They advertise in AutoWeek. It's been a few years since I took a wheel there for repair, but my recollection is that they use to charge around $125 for a wheel repair which included repainting the entire wheel as well as balancing the wheel.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:17 PM
Pugnacious
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...some old man in a Chrysler Concord needed two lanes (His and mine) to make a left hand turn where I was making a right (No stop sign for me). Well, I notice he's a bit in my lane as I start to turn and realize that he's coming ALL the way into my lane (I guess he wanted to hit the apex) and I was forced to either lose a mirror (Or my rear quarter panel) or jerk my car into the curb...
Originally Posted by TD in DC
...I have had "people" run me into curbs in DC on three different occasions now...
Don’t they teach defensive driving any more?
Old 04-15-2008, 01:21 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Pugnacious

It was defensive driving. In fact, if I had not raced cars, I probably would have been hit full on.

In my case, this has happened when I was in traffic circles that have three lanes side by side. In both instances, I was in the outside lane, which has about a 5" stone curb. The idiot in the middle lane enters the outside lane at the exit of the circle, despite the painted lane indicators. I can't brake in time to avoid a hit, so I hit the horn and then accelerate (with sport exhaust -- loud pipes save lives) so they can see you, get scared, and jerk the wheel back into their lane. Once someone enters your lane by 1 1/2', you thank your stars that you get out of the situation with only a minor curb rash that costs about $120 to repair. I would think my driving should be commended under the circumstances.

P.S. In two cases the drivers were elderly. Maybe they should no longer be driving. In the third case it was a younger guy who practically road raged on me for "scaring" him. I told him he would have been a lot more scared had he hit me and received the bill for reparing the side of my Porsche. I also said that if he didn't shut his fat trap now I would send him a bill for repairing my $2,000 rims. He shut up and drove off rather quickly.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:22 PM
pbarch1
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Gawd .... the exact same thing happened to me. A few years ago in my 86-911 an only man hit me, I was on the outside of a 2 right turn lane and he just plowed into me, I was so pissed...
Old 04-15-2008, 01:53 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Pugnacious
With 4 inches of shoulder and a curb, I'm curious how avoiding getting clipped by a large car while sacrificing a little curb rash isn't defensive driving.

Quick Reply: Just got run off the road by an old man...