Sponsored by:

Stereo Sound Gone! :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 12:54 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 722 Likes on 392 Posts
Default Stereo Sound Gone! :(

Here's one for you. I drove to work today normally and decided to take the 997 as it was a nice fall day in the northeast here. Listened to the radio on my way in and my ipod thru the Denison hookup as usual no problem. Unfortunately was busy and didn't get out for lunch but get in the car and start it to head home to pickup the kids from school and NO SOUND. I left the radio on when I turned the car off but re-booting things (i.e. turning the radio ON an OFF again) had no effect. No stereo sound at ALL. Silence! could change stations, change to the changer/ipod and CD but NO SOUND. Tried the NAV function and NO SOUND/VOICE from the NAV. WTF??

While I do like the sound of the flat 6 and enjoyed the revs and the AWE exhaust I have on the car all the way home....I am QUITE concerned? Any thoughts on this? Has it happened to anyone else? I suspect the PCM system just went kaput or shorted out. Could it be the speakers? Anything else? Haven't had any trouble before so what could it be?

Going to contact the dealer tomorrow AM...good thing its a CPO vehicle! Only 1 yr old thank god.

Oh well...things happen! Gotta go with the flow.
Md
Old 10-12-2007, 03:20 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A blown fuse?
Old 10-12-2007, 07:57 AM
John NY-Naples
Racer

Make sure you don't have the "mute" on.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:33 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

my money is on the amp - not covered by cpo, but you can get them off of ebay.

to fix temporarily, try pulling the Soundsystem and Radio Fuse (on a 996 it is D8 and D9). usually resets the amp and it works.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:26 AM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

It sounds to me as if your PCM may have "lost" your amplifier which is in the MOST fiber optic loop along with your nav and your iPod adapter. From the main PCM screen, try pushing the "Main" and "Trip" buttons simultaneously. The resulting screen will show the status of your items in the MOST "ring". Then select the one for amplifier and see if it says "Entered" but "Not found".

I have a Nav-TV iPod adapter, Nav-TV satellite radio adapter, and a prototype NAV-TV Bluetooth adapter that are all connected into the MOST ring, and I have had the issue a couple of times where there is no sound. In those instances, however, I have gotten a "System Error" message on the PCM screen saying amplifier not found. Turning off the car, locking it, unlocking it, and then restarting the car seem to allow the PCM to properly find all of the devices.

Not sure if this is your issue, but it might be worth a try. Good luck.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:58 AM
malammik
Racer

Maybe you went deaf on one ear? Just kidding. Good luck with getting problem solved.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:54 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 722 Likes on 392 Posts

Well funny thing. By chance I thought to myself this AM why not just go turn it over and see what happens since I had parked it in the garage last night with the intent on emailing/calling my dealer in the AM. Turned the key to position one and viola let there be SOUND! Everything works as before now and without any problems....Am satisfied no major $$$ is going to be required but caution for the next time.

Thanks for the comments and help!
Rob
Old 05-19-2008, 02:38 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default why not covered?

Lost sound today myself and car goes in Thurs, is is still under original warranty, then the CPO kicks in after that in august. I always thought CPO was exact same as the original warranty? If my amp is shot I will not be happy if it is not covered under warranty? Thanks

Originally Posted by rcg412
my money is on the amp - not covered by cpo, but you can get them off of ebay.

to fix temporarily, try pulling the Soundsystem and Radio Fuse (on a 996 it is D8 and D9). usually resets the amp and it works.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:59 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Most of these anomolies can be resolved by doing a reboot, i.e., stop the car, turn off the engine, remove the key, and lock the car. Then, try again in 2 minutes. These things are more software driven than mechanical now. And the lowest bidder,--Microsoft.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:01 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Most of these anomolies can be resolved by doing a reboot, i.e., stop the car, turn off the engine, remove the key, and lock the car. Then, try again in 2 minutes. These things are more software driven than mechanical now. And the lowest bidder,--Microsoft.
It'll get worse and then the amp will fail. BOSE!!!!!

Quick Reply: Stereo Sound Gone! :(