996 vs 997 Purchase Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 02:26 AM
nitewing
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 vs 997 Purchase Questions

Hi Everyone,

I'm brand new to this forum - and am currently shopping for my first Porsche after admiring them from a distance for the past 30 years. I initially thought I'd need to buy a Cayman in order to carry 2 sets of golf clubs, but after a trip to the dealer, I soon discovered the clubs will fit just fine in the Carrera. After driving the different models, I was definitely set on the Carrera. So, now the question comes as to the base model, the "S" or the "4S". I had budgeted about $60k for the purchase, so I'm looking for used - and had even considered the 996 series to save some money...but I like the look of the 997 and from what I've read, it's a significant improvement from the 996.

I would just like to hear some advice from those who've owned these models to help steer my choice. Right now, an '06 C4S has caught my eye - but it's listed for $83k...so any help in feeling better about something else would save me some money!! (I'm beginning to think my $60k budget needs to be revised upward).

Is there really a big difference between the 996 and 997?
Should I even consider the base model (not "S" or "4S")?
If I don't plan to drive the car in the winter, do I need the "4S"?
Does the "S" drive better than the "4S"?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:33 AM
Moderato
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 09's are going have some significant improvements over the 05 - 08 997s, so if you're looking for used I'd try to wait it out for a bit longer and after the 09 is released then used 06 - 07 997s should get more into your 60K price range.

The 4S isn't really necessary as a winter car because it's doesn't have a lot of ground clearance anyway, so the C2S with snow tires will get you just as far.

The S vs. non-S is a tough one, I've read compelling arguments for each.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:39 AM
nitewing
Track Day

Is the '09 model going to be an new series?
Old 06-03-2008, 02:48 AM
Rivan
Advanced

Originally Posted by nitewing
09 is still 997 but a facelift from MY05-08 with some nice upgrades.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:48 AM
Moderato
Racer

No but it's going to have an LSD option, an auto-manual option, LED tails, face-lift, upgraded electronics, Direct fuel injection resulting in a power boost and better economy, plus other things I'm probably forgetting. I'm a BMW owner (have been for a while). I was just about to buy a 997 a couple months ago but decided to wait for the 09's. I figured if the 09's are that good, I'll get one, if not then the used prices of 05 - 07 997s should get much more attractive. I'm currently driving an E92 335i before that I had an 06 M3 ZCP. My next car I'm planning to either get an E92 M3 or a 997 C2S or C4S.
Time will tell.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:47 PM
nitewing
Track Day

Originally Posted by Moderato
My next car I'm planning to either get an E92 M3 or a 997 C2S or C4S.
Time will tell.
What are your thoughts in the differences between the C2S and C4S? I know there is the wider stance of the C4 - - Have you driven the two to compare the difference in how they handle?
Old 06-03-2008, 02:56 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

What are your thoughts in the differences between the C2S and C4S? I know there is the wider stance of the C4 - - Have you driven the two to compare the difference in how they handle?

The "S" cars and Turbo have the same stance. Only difference is rear only vs. 4 wheel drive.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:01 PM
am722
Drifting

As to your question regarding whether you should consider the base Carrera--yes, definitely. Partciularly if it's your first 911. I have one (also my first) and I love it. What sort of cars are you used to driving?
Old 06-03-2008, 05:38 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there really a big difference between the 996 and 997?
Should I even consider the base model (not "S" or "4S")?
If I don't plan to drive the car in the winter, do I need the "4S"?
Does the "S" drive better than the "4S"?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I have owned a 996 and a 997. My answers to your questions are as follows:

Yes, there is a world of difference between the 996 and the 997. The 997 feels like a different car. What is the number one improvement? IMHO it is the suspension. Much better for a street car.

I would get the S if you can. I like the PASM.

You do not need the 4S.

IMHO, the S drives better than the 4S, but I like sports cars.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:31 PM
Moderato
Racer

I've never driven the C4 but besides my RWD BMW's I have owned a couple of AWD STI's (04 & 06). There were aspects of the AWD that I loved and aspects of it that I hated. When I'm ready to pull the trigger then I will spend the time test driving the C4 & C2 back to back and take as many days as necessary to decide. Aesthetically speaking, I do like the wider hips of the C4, call me superficial but it just looks cool. However if the C2 is that much better from the driver's seat then I wouldn't let that effect my decision. I tend to prefer RWD on dry roads and AWD on wet/snowy roads. Winter driving, although an issue for where I live will NOT effect my decision on the C2 vs. C4. RWD with snow tires will get you through the winter, until ground clearance becomes an issue. AWD with snow tires will turn you into a rally driver and that's a lot of fun. Porsche themselves have released plenty of promotional videos of the C4's competence in the white stuff so as ridiculuos as driving a C4 in the snow might seem to the typical person, I'm of the opinion that ground clearance not withstanding, the C4 would be fun in the winter. Like I said it won't be the deciding factor but it's still worth considering from my standpoint. Good Luck to both of us!
Old 06-03-2008, 09:40 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by agdamis
The "S" cars and Turbo have the same stance. Only difference is rear only vs. 4 wheel drive.
Not true.

If this matters to you, all the 4 cars and the Turbo are 'wide bodies'. S and non S in rear drive format are 'narrow bodied'. The difference is small but is noticeable (72.91" vs 71.18, excluding mirrors). Tire sizes are also different - check Porsche USA for the specs of the cars/layouts you are interested in.

As for the displacement issue, be sure to drive both engines before deciding. You will probably be surprised at how nice the 3.6 is (be sure to work both engines into the higher revs bands if the Dealer will let you).
Old 06-03-2008, 11:04 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

997 is generally regarded as a major improvement over the 996 (try to test drive a 996 turbo though, just to be sure!) and that convinced me to go with the 997. I went with the S and ultimately got 4wd because I wasn't sure I could adjust to the rear-heavy 911 without a little help. You should drive as many as you can before deciding.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:56 AM
nitewing
Track Day

Originally Posted by am722
As to your question regarding whether you should consider the base Carrera--yes, definitely. Partciularly if it's your first 911. I have one (also my first) and I love it. What sort of cars are you used to driving?
You'll laugh when I tell you my current "car" is a 92 Toyota Pickup truck. Yeah, I know. I've been driving this for 16 years - and it doesn't look like much, but it's dependable. Now that the kids are gone I'm ready to treat myself to something I've wanted for decades. The Porsche I buy will be driven daily by me (I live in Salt Lake City) except on snow days when they are salting the roads. I only put about 5-6k miles per year on my truck, so the porsche will be a similar amount - except I will still drive the truck up the canyons for skiing and on bad snow days.

Many have said "buy a Turbo" - but I haven't looked that way because I don't really feel the need for the extra power of a turbo. Trying to decide between a C2, C2S and a C4S is tough. I'm not one for modifying after the purchase - so just trying to get a feel for what drives the best (not planning any track time).
Old 06-04-2008, 01:58 AM
nitewing
Track Day

Originally Posted by TD in DC
I have owned a 996 and a 997. My answers to your questions are as follows:

Yes, there is a world of difference between the 996 and the 997. The 997 feels like a different car. What is the number one improvement? IMHO it is the suspension. Much better for a street car.

I would get the S if you can. I like the PASM.

You do not need the 4S.

IMHO, the S drives better than the 4S, but I like sports cars.
Thanks - - I really appreciate the feedback.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:05 AM
nitewing
Track Day

Originally Posted by Moderato
I There were aspects of the AWD that I loved and aspects of it that I hated. Aesthetically speaking, I do like the wider hips of the C4, call me superficial but it just looks cool. However if the C2 is that much better from the driver's seat then I wouldn't let that effect my decision. I tend to prefer RWD on dry roads and AWD on wet/snowy roads. Winter driving, although an issue for where I live will NOT effect my decision on the C2 vs. C4. RWD with snow tires will get you through the winter, until ground clearance becomes an issue. AWD with snow tires will turn you into a rally driver and that's a lot of fun. Porsche themselves have released plenty of promotional videos of the C4's competence in the white stuff so as ridiculuos as driving a C4 in the snow might seem to the typical person, I'm of the opinion that ground clearance not withstanding, the C4 would be fun in the winter. Like I said it won't be the deciding factor but it's still worth considering from my standpoint. Good Luck to both of us!

What specifically did you NOT like about the AWD? I feel the same as you about liking the "look" of the C4S - and ditto about the "driving experience" being the most important factor. I have been driving a rear wheel only truck for the past 16 years - and if I can drive it through the snow, I know the C2 will do just fine with the engine weight over a set of snow tires.

This forum is great for sorting out many of my questions. I now need to get back to the dealer for some test driving of the 4 vs 2.

Thanks - and good luck in your search as well!

Quick Reply: 996 vs 997 Purchase Questions