Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Go for 09 turbo or wait for facelift in '10 ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 01:46 AM
icruze
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave, have you considered buying a used 997TT and waiting for your "special" one?
Old 06-07-2008, 07:52 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck

I don't get how some of you guys are considering a TT or a GT3. They are completely different cars offering a completely different driving experience.
The reason I contemplated the two is because A) I REALLY want a GT3, but that would require the purchase of a daily driver, and B) the Turbo is such a torque monster and a 4-seasons car, that I might just want ONE car. It sounds like the commentary I got when I was cross-shopping 911s, RS4s, etc. I ended up having one of each.

Dave - Your conversation with your wife sounds A LOT like the same ones I've been having. We did arrive at a moment of clarity last night: Since I know buying a Cayman S would be "settling", and I really miss my Carrera S, AND I love my RS4, we are just going to wait another year or two and order a new Carrera S and keep the RS4. I can't imagine being any happier unless I could afford a GT3 instead (but $200K in cars is over my budget). Good luck with your soul-searching - it's great to have this kind of decision keeping us up at night!
Old 06-07-2008, 09:00 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 210 Posts

I chatted with Alfie at Ira today and decided to take his November build spot for an 09 TT !!!!!!
Yeah baby!
I do think the PDK is going to revolutionize the 911 especially the turbo. That being said, there's no way to guarantee at this time that I would enjoy driving a PDK car.
So,...as some have pointed out, you only live once....so I'm going for it.
Alfie suggested that I should consider doing a 2 year lease on the car in case I decide that I want to order a PDK TT after it comes out and proves itself. I'll have to think about this 'gamble.'

I'll post separately at some point on my specs. The first big decision is going to be whether or not I order RS Orange or the more classic Signal Yellow. We'll see!
Old 06-07-2008, 09:20 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

MIght be one case where a lease would make some sense. Of course you can go and drive a 997S with pdk in sept or oct to see if you like it then. That would certainly give you an idea what it would be like. I have no real opinion on the color. I like weird colors on the 911, and I love your SY. Orange is probably the one color I do not like. It will still be cool though.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:52 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
The first big decision is going to be whether or not I order RS Orange or the more classic Signal Yellow. We'll see!
Love the color choice. One of my favorites was Vitamin C orange from the 70 Challenger. After reading all the new info released the last couple days the upgrades certainly seem significant enough to justify moving to the new car.

Enjoy the TT in good health.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:53 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
I chatted with Alfie at Ira today and decided to take his November build spot for an 09 TT !!!!!!
Yeah baby!
I do think the PDK is going to revolutionize the 911 especially the turbo. That being said, there's no way to guarantee at this time that I would enjoy driving a PDK car.
So,...as some have pointed out, you only live once....so I'm going for it.
Alfie suggested that I should consider doing a 2 year lease on the car in case I decide that I want to order a PDK TT after it comes out and proves itself. I'll have to think about this 'gamble.'

I'll post separately at some point on my specs. The first big decision is going to be whether or not I order RS Orange or the more classic Signal Yellow. We'll see!

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on a very very nice ride. Cannot wait to see the specs.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:02 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

I've been collecting pics for a while of various Oranges.
I think this 997TT is the same Orange as the RS and the Boxster Limited Ed.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:10 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,491 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
Dave, I feel your pain. I have been planning on waiting for a DFI '10 Turbo or GT3. The ache of being "Porsche-less" is becoming overwhelming... I am going tomorrow to possibly pick up a nice, lightly-used Cayman S to tide me over in the meantime. Then when it's time to pull the "big" trigger, I can trade in the Cayman S (and possibly the RS4, too).

If you can stand waiting, it'll be worth the wait. With the Carrera S gaining 30hp, the Turbo's gotta get a 50hp or so from DFI.
i can't wait for anything.
buy the GT3 or TT today. when DFI comes out, buy that then.
nothing is worth waiting for. it's NOW that's important.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:31 PM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty

That's good advice. I'm the same way. Once I make a decision on a car, I just go get it.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:53 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mooty
Ah, it's just a matter of balancing some other commitments as well as timing the release dates. It's hard to splurge on a Turbo/GT3/C2S if I don't have renters in my San Diego house... Once I get that locked in for another year or two, we're golden!

Good luck, Dave! There is another orange to look at - I can't remember the name, but I saw it on some 993s in the '90s. It's like a tangerine color - looks awesome. It might be called Zanzibar IIRC.

EDIT: Here's a link to it - Zanzibar Red: http://www.wheelenhancement.com/whee...ibar%20Red.jpg and another http://www.titanic.co.uk/GT3/GT32e_files/image008.jpg
Old 06-08-2008, 01:21 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
The reason I contemplated the two is because A) I REALLY want a GT3, but that would require the purchase of a daily driver, and B) the Turbo is such a torque monster and a 4-seasons car, that I might just want ONE car. It sounds like the commentary I got when I was cross-shopping 911s, RS4s, etc. I ended up having one of each.

Dave - Your conversation with your wife sounds A LOT like the same ones I've been having. We did arrive at a moment of clarity last night: Since I know buying a Cayman S would be "settling", and I really miss my Carrera S, AND I love my RS4, we are just going to wait another year or two and order a new Carrera S and keep the RS4. I can't imagine being any happier unless I could afford a GT3 instead (but $200K in cars is over my budget). Good luck with your soul-searching - it's great to have this kind of decision keeping us up at night!
Why do you REALLY want a GT3? or Why a Turbo? I'm confused. They are polar opposites.

I can see wanting one or the other but not really to consider each.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:23 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Dave, the orange looks good.

If you're truly interesting in doing paint to sample, if I were in your position I would check out a color chart of historical Porsche colors to find something fitting yet unique.

I have became a big fan of the jellybean colors - something bright and strong. Viper Red from the 70s is particularly appealing.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:29 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get it now... you could be dead or in jail by 2010.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:54 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

Get something unique. Signal Yellow is great! But a Turbo? Way too over the top. Maybe you want to be noticed.... ;-)
Old 06-08-2008, 08:55 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by roberga
get it now... you could be dead or in jail by 2010.
Dead maybe, but I think I can get my trial delayed until 2011.

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Get something unique. Signal Yellow is great! But a Turbo? Way too over the top. Maybe you want to be noticed.... ;-)
Maybe I want to be noticed? Hell, I'd get a turquoise one!
I worried about the color being over the top, but when I went to look at one of the Boxster Limited Editions for a color check, I really liked it. I've only seen one GT3RS in Orange and I thought it was pretty cool.
Besides, I've been driving around for 2 1/2 years in a 3400 pound yellow hi-liter and I don't feel like I stick out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Go for 09 turbo or wait for facelift in '10 ???