Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Go for 09 turbo or wait for facelift in '10 ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 06:17 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 210 Posts
Default Go for 09 turbo or wait for facelift in '10 ???

Hi Everyone,
I thought I would run this by the forum (cross posted in 997TT/997).
It's now old news that the facelifted C2/C4 cars will be coming to the US as 2009 models with additional power through DFI, a PDK tranny that seems to be significantly faster than the 6-speed, touchscreen NAV, iPod etc etc etc.
There is no news on when the TT will receive things like DFI and PDK.

The 2009 beginning allocations for turbos were apparently released and I have been offered a November build spot (which coupled with paint-to-sample would likely mean delivery in Spring 09).

I am planning on making this next p-car a truly special one for me.

Alfie at Ira believes that some of the 'new' comfort goodies like the touch NAV and iPod will be available on the 09 TT. It does NOT appear that an upgraded engine or PDK will be offered and it MIGHT not be available until the 2010 series as a mid-model year facelift has historically not been done.

I would definitely consider getting a PDK equipped car as I am guessing that the performance will be extremely better on the TT when it finally arrives. I'm considering PDK because 1) I drive in the city A LOT and 2) potentially significant gains in performance. At the same time, I have always loved shifting a manual transmission as part of the driving experience.

So....

HELP ME figure out what to do.

Do I say to hell with waiting potentially another year+ and possibly getting PDK OR should I spec out a really cool Orange or Signal Yellow TT with a 6-speed and no DFI with the November production spot??????
Old 06-06-2008, 06:26 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Get the cool Orange...and I will let you and others figure the rest out
Old 06-06-2008, 06:47 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

I will wait another year or so to see what engine upgrade will be done. Since you have a C4S to enjoy in the meantime I don't think there is a big rush, especially this next TT sounds like a keeper for you.

6 speed vs PDK is tough. Ideally you will have one of each in your garage.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:49 PM
am722
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going through a similar decisionmaking process regarding the GT3, trying to debate whether to get a used pre-facelift, get on a list for the facelift or just wait until the 991 comes. I had been considering PDK until I saw that horrendous steering wheel.

I will probably end up getting one sooner rather than later, because at the end of the day I know I will not regret buying one right away, but I sure might regret waiting a couple of years before getting what I want. They're always designing something "better." I say go for the instant gratification. We don't even know for sure whether the GT1 engines will be getting DFI, right? IMO, the coolest part about the facelift besides that is the new PCM setup, and it sounds like that will be available on your order anyway.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:05 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Dave, I feel your pain. I have been planning on waiting for a DFI '10 Turbo or GT3. The ache of being "Porsche-less" is becoming overwhelming... I am going tomorrow to possibly pick up a nice, lightly-used Cayman S to tide me over in the meantime. Then when it's time to pull the "big" trigger, I can trade in the Cayman S (and possibly the RS4, too).

If you can stand waiting, it'll be worth the wait. With the Carrera S gaining 30hp, the Turbo's gotta get a 50hp or so from DFI.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:15 PM
Vitamin_J
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If someone in the aftermarket space can produce a wheel that incorporates PDK with F1 style shifting paddles (like everyone else has) this is an easy decision. I just can't imagine the front end of wheel and thumbing a 500hp car through the gears.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:27 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vitamin_J
If someone in the aftermarket space can produce a wheel that incorporates PDK with F1 style shifting paddles (like everyone else has) this is an easy decision. I just can't imagine the front end of wheel and thumbing a 500hp car through the gears.
I would imagine the paddles would be fun and would also require getting accustomed to. Frankly I'd be happier if the PDK was laid out just like manual with the 'stick' having various positions for each gear,....but with an 'automatic' mode for non-sporty/city driving.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:35 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Dave, have you seen this from the Porsche micosite?

Porsche PDK video

Also check out Launch Control (for PDK when coupled with Sport Chrono Plus) the Chassis section.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:13 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Awesome link.

Get a car on order-you can always cancel but at least you'll get your spot inline. Personally I'd opt for the PDK but you can't go wrong either way. Can't wait to see a comparison test of 6-spd versus PDK lap/accel times. Make sure when it arrives you update your kickstand picture with new ride.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:56 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Great comments guys.

My wife's comments on this were basically 'you could get what you want now and then trade it for a PDK if you want.' I love that woman!

I'll sleep on it tonight! Something tells me the DFI/PDK will set a new standard in performance,... then again, gotta love a stick. Maybe I should just hold on to my SY beauty for a while longer. Uggggggh!
Old 06-06-2008, 10:24 PM
Tinluver
Instructor

Can't even relate to having a Porsche without a stick
Old 06-06-2008, 10:46 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
I am planning on making this next p-car a truly special one for me.

...... It does NOT appear that an upgraded engine or PDK will be offered and it MIGHT not be available until the 2010 series as a mid-model year facelift has historically not been done.

I think maybe you answered your own question. The color etc will be available but the engine, well..........

That said if your wife is enough of an Angel to permit you to rent the 09 until, then you know what you must do.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:40 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinluver
Can't even relate to having a Porsche without a stick
+1

I don't get how some of you guys are considering a TT or a GT3. They are completely different cars offering a completely different driving experience.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:47 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Great comments guys.

My wife's comments on this were basically 'you could get what you want now and then trade it for a PDK if you want.' I love that woman!

I'll sleep on it tonight! Something tells me the DFI/PDK will set a new standard in performance,... then again, gotta love a stick. Maybe I should just hold on to my SY beauty for a while longer. Uggggggh!
keep your speed yellow for now. Let all this facelift/PDK stuff work itself out then make your move. It would be different if you didn't have a P-car to ride in right now. No need to rush unless you're window of opportunity (i.e. wife's approval) is small.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:44 AM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
+1

I don't get how some of you guys are considering a TT or a GT3. They are completely different cars offering a completely different driving experience.

God Bless you man.

Quick Reply: Go for 09 turbo or wait for facelift in '10 ???