Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best exhaust while still sounding like a Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 12:58 AM
vizman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best exhaust while still sounding like a Porsche?

Im considering installing a new exhaust on my 07 997S. Performance is as important as sound so I have eliminated Tubi because 1. it does not sound like a Porsche (from what Ive gathered from the boards) 2. was not made to work with aftermarket cats. Ive strongly considered AWE, but recently started looking into Europipe as an alternative. Anyone have any experience with Europipe or AWE that could chime in any information to help make my decision? Any other piece of information that could help will be greatly appreciated as I am new to Porsches in general.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:13 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Best sounding...Porsche Sport Exhaust also known as PSE. I have Fabspeed mufflers because they are light in weight, sound good and most like a Cup car at 5000rpm and up. I have heard Tubi and AWE but picked Fabspeed. I have not heard the Europipe and Cargraphic systems.
The following 2 users liked this post by mdrums:
997.1C2S (04-23-2022), Fabspeed Motorsport (10-28-2020)
Old 06-10-2008, 01:28 AM
Vitamin_J
Rennlist Member

I went with the bypass. I agree it doesn't sound like a modern Porsche but a whole bunch like my 930 from years ago. Pretty muscular and I have lost the ability to talk on a cell phone with the targa open at 3k rpm.

I had a Tubi on the Ferrari and it was absolute music. Trying to find the balance of improved sound while remaining Porschesqe is tough. I agree with mdrums that PSE is pretty compelling yet personally feel it is understated.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:42 AM
Mr. Brown
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default BORLA

Originally Posted by vizman
Im considering installing a new exhaust on my 07 997S. Performance is as important as sound so I have eliminated Tubi because 1. it does not sound like a Porsche (from what Ive gathered from the boards) 2. was not made to work with aftermarket cats. Ive strongly considered AWE, but recently started looking into Europipe as an alternative. Anyone have any experience with Europipe or AWE that could chime in any information to help make my decision? Any other piece of information that could help will be greatly appreciated as I am new to Porsches in general.
Borla just released an exhaust and headers for the 997. I heard the sound clips and I love it. I've had lots of Borla's on other vehicles and have been completely happy.
I've ordered the Borla's for my C2S. If you're interested, contact Chris Higgins at Borla at: chrish@Borla.com, and tell him I referred you.
Mr. B
Old 06-10-2008, 09:55 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

I have a Europipe on a 997TT - quality and engineering are outstanding, couldn't ask for better customer service and I really like the sound (but that will be a personal decision for you). The only drawback is you buy in Euros so by the time it becomes $'s, the system is pretty pricey. BTW, my system runs 100 cell cats and have had no issues with CEL's.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:29 AM
TX996
Advanced

Default Best sounding exhaust that sounds like a Porsche

for my$.02

I have had the PSE on two cars.... it is Porsche and for my money it sounds great.... really nice scream under WOT and super burble at idle..

great stuff...
Old 06-10-2008, 03:39 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Best sounding, performing, and cost effective combination I've found yet...

Porsche X51 Headers, $625
AWE 200 Cell Cats, $1450
OEM 997S mufflers, $0
Install $180
Old 06-10-2008, 05:21 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The PSE is what Porsche wants its own exhaust to sound like, so my vote goes to PSE too.

Regards,
Old 06-10-2008, 05:36 PM
Mr. Brown
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Not me

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
The PSE is what Porsche wants its own exhaust to sound like, so my vote goes to PSE too.

Regards,
I don't want mine sounding exactly like all the other Porsches.
Mr. B
The following users liked this post:
Fracture (10-28-2020)
Old 06-10-2008, 05:37 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Brown
I don't want mine sounding exactly like all the other Porsches.
Mr. B
Snob. Ferrari is thata way =====>

Old 06-10-2008, 06:50 PM
J1SD
Advanced

um...I think Tubi sounds the best - so subjective though. However, I get nothing but compliments from other Porsche owners. I don't know who said it doesn't sound like a Porsche??? In my opinion it sounds like an air-cooled Porsche Again..just my .02.

I will go out on a limb here and ask why you would want to add weight to an already heavy rear end - a la the PSE? If the goal is sound and performance any of the after market brands will deliver - with reduced weight compared to the factory set up.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:21 PM
vitti821
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
Best sounding, performing, and cost effective combination I've found yet...

Porsche X51 Headers, $625
AWE 200 Cell Cats, $1450
OEM 997S mufflers, $0
Install $180
can i ask what kind of performance increases you got with that combination
Old 06-26-2019, 04:08 AM
f911
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

CARGRAPHIC Sport catalytic converter HJS 200cell "X" pipe (+FD fister Optional) - The best sound for my taste
Old 06-26-2019, 12:27 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

This probably doesn't count but I have Europipe on a Turbo. I appreciate the quiet. I like the sound of the turbos over exhaust. I also haven't opened it up so I have no idea what it might sound like at full throttle.

Big Swole has the same and a number of guys in the turbo forum prefer Europipe.

There are several videos of the sound in this thread.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...pressions.html
Old 06-26-2019, 01:32 PM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I have the TechArt exhaust which is switchable using the factory PSE switch. Love it in both modes. Quiet gives awesome tone and induction sounds. And loud gives good tone and is louder.

Quick Reply: Best exhaust while still sounding like a Porsche?