Sponsored by:

Thoughts on turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 12:15 AM
Fishdoc
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on turbo

Guys just test drove a 08 Turbo cab with manual.
I love my 07 cab s. Just the wanderlust I guess.

Heavier, clutch different catch position (but could get use to), not the same sound as my pse exhaust, somewhat more how do I say less conservative.

But very beautiful car and amazingly fast. Whoooosh !
Question I am not decided. What do you think? Would you trade your 997 for an 09 Turbo? Or do you after driving the turbo want to stick with what you have?
I am leaving out an important issue ---money. If this not an issue give your opinion.
Yeah I know I could post this on turbo forum , most have prob had 997's

Thanks
Old 08-30-2008, 04:00 AM
Sadiq
Pro

seems like a ridiculous question. why would anyone pass up a turbo for an S if money weren't an issue? if anyone thinks they have a rational answer to that, they shouldnt be driving a sports car. more is better. always.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:03 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sadiq
seems like a ridiculous question. why would anyone pass up a turbo for an S if money weren't an issue? if anyone thinks they have a rational answer to that, they shouldnt be driving a sports car. more is better. always.
That's not always true. I could have bought a Turbo, but I elected to keep my RS4 and pick up a Cayman (2.7L) instead. When I test-drove the Turbo, it was too damn fast. Not too fast for me to drive, but too fast for where I live - home of rampant law enforcement and ridiculously low speed limits. It just didn't make sense. Now I can wind the Cayman out and not worry too much...

Of course, if I lived somewhere less patrolled (Germany, SoCal, etc.), the Turbo would be the pick.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:40 AM
Jlangmd
Racer

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
That's not always true. I could have bought a Turbo, but I elected to keep my RS4 and pick up a Cayman (2.7L) instead. When I test-drove the Turbo, it was too damn fast. Not too fast for me to drive, but too fast for where I live - home of rampant law enforcement and ridiculously low speed limits. It just didn't make sense. Now I can wind the Cayman out and not worry too much...

Of course, if I lived somewhere less patrolled (Germany, SoCal, etc.), the Turbo would be the pick.

"Too damn fast"?

Sort of like saying that the beer is too cold, the steak is too tender, and my wife is too damn pretty!
Old 08-30-2008, 12:49 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Did you read the whole thing? I don't mean it's too fast of a car to drive and enjoy yourself, I mean it is a GUARANTEE to get into trouble here in the traffic enforcement capitol of the US. Anything 20mph over the posted limit or 80 mph in a 65 area is reckless driving. Every mph over the 20 (or over 80) equals a night in jail.

When I test drove the Turbo, I was in third gear on a regular road (35 mph limit) and went from 30 to 80 before I could blink. It's so fun and so addicting, it would be a matter of time before I got some jail time. And that is precisely why it wouldn't be fun to reign in all that power... Which is what makes it "too damn fast" for where I live.

Like I said, if I move back to San Diego or somewhere the cops have a blinder eye, I'd go for a Turbo (or more preferably a GT3) in a heart beat.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:34 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

Agree with Chris.

I can easy afford a 997TT, but decided not to. Can't use the extra speed on public road, don't like 4WD on a 911, don't like the look of the rear spoiler. Will get a GT3 before the TT.

BTW I think the 993TT is the last best 911 turbo.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:10 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Sadiq
I don't think that is true at all.
Many drivers simply do not like the dynamics that turbocharged engines provide (some people love it,....I do miss the whine and whoosh of my old Audi). This is one of the reasons why people will opt for the 18K X51 option: they would rather have some more ponies but not at the 'expense' of turbocharging. Another example lies with the GT3 line: non-turbo, extra HP, extra good. Hell, a GT3RS is more expensive than most TT out there, but they are VERY different buyers for the most part.

If money was the issue, most people here would buy a GT-R instead of a Carrera S....and as we have seen, it is only a very small number of folks who have decided to trade in their p-cars for the Nissan.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:12 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

On a similar topic....I have a friend that after driving a new 997S Cab he took a financial hit and turned it in for a Boxster. Initially, I thought how can anybody be so dumb.....but he really likes his Boxster and you can see it in his eyes.
abe
Old 08-30-2008, 02:13 PM
eljeffo64
Racer

Weird! - I had a friend over to stay this week from London, he drove his TT (rather than his 993RS or his Bentley - that's another story) and we had a few great days driving together.

We swapped drives for a significant part of one day's driving.

His comments after driving my 2S: "man I love the sound of the exhaust!" ""I think yours steers nicer". "Seems more stable under heavy braking"

My comments after driving his TT: "F*** me it's fast when it's on boost!" ""feels a little dead compared to mine round the bends" "I'd rather take mine to the track than yours".

It was a superb car (the TT) but having driven it properly now I'd not swap the 2S for one; now a GT3; that might be nice........

The moral of the story; paying more or getting a few more horses under the bonnet (hood) doesn't necessarily translate into a "better drive" for you!

I did like it though......
Old 08-30-2008, 02:15 PM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Agree with you that the 97TT is too damn fast
But it's not like you can't get a ticket in a cayman. 20 mph over the speed limit i can do in my honda accord. But its true you need the right roads to take advantage of the TT's power.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:18 PM
Jlangmd
Racer

Originally Posted by Coochas
Hell, a GT3RS is more expensive than most TT out there, but they are VERY different buyers for the most part.
Not in Canada. We get European pricing.

GT3RS lists for $155,100, TT lists for $161,700, TTCab lists for $174,600. Which sucks as the $C and $US are essentially on par over the last 6 months.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:28 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

Porsche has cleverly developed very different models to cover the entire spectrum of drivers' needs and wants. I drove a turbo for over ten years (but air-cooled). There was nothing quite like the sound of the turbo spinning up and providing that incredible boost. Sure, like many here, I could have easily ordered a 997TT but I absolutely love the sound of my 2wd S with PSE. Having a cabriolet, I'm reminded of that sound every day I drive it. (I think the coupe owners miss a lot of that). The current turbo's sound is highly muffled by the turbos in the exhaust line and the significantly added weight takes much of the nimbleness out of the 997.

The best thing to do is to go out and drive as many examples of these cars that you can before you buy or order. I was extremely pleased that I hit one out of the park with my choice. In time you may realize that you want to retain some of the feedback from the car in order to enjoy it more. As many of you, yourself, have said herein, it's not the speed or the TOP speed that the car can go, it's the way you get up to speed. I have yet to find that 355 PS is insufficient, even on the most cluttered roads. Keep in mind that much of the traffic out there that you are clearing out of your way have at best 200 PS so the HP differential is substantial. Going to 480 PS is simply overkill. Do I miss my air-cooled turbo? Somewhat, but not when I get into my Carrera S Cab.

Don't necessarily fall into the Porsche marketing trap of believing for a second that a 997TT is the top 911 model. That's what they want you to think,--and act upon. I should know, I've been addicted to Porsches since 1974.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:16 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

"More is always better" does not apply to every single consumer. People have to realize that we are all different, as are our motivations, perceptions, rationales, personalities, preferences, lifestyles, tastes, etc.

Most will remember that I traded in my 997S cab for a TT order with European delivery for June '08 (I ordered the TT undriven; there are hardly any Porsche cars in Shreveport, let alone TTs).

Briefly after, my Green Card process got delayed so that I could not travel in June, which meant I had to postpone my Euro delivery by a year. So I bought a base 997 coupe off the lot to bridge the wait (that was the only new one they had).

When I finally got to test-drive a TT that someone had traded in, I noticed that I really did like my base carrera just as much, except for the looks. To me, the TT is the freaking hottest looking vehicle out there right next to the 430, but I (as in: Wolfgang) simply don't need that much power. If you do, fine, but not everyone does. My base 997 is already faster than everything else in this city and I'm already not using it to its full capacity (neither have the skills nor the desire). So now I'm picking up another base 997 cab in Germany on May 19, because it really is all I need.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:20 PM
9974G
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't intend to track often, then, yes, the Turbo seems to me to be the absolute king of the Porsche line. You've got a huge amount of power on tap, and you've got much more of a unique 911.

Definitely test drive the different 911 variants and make up your own mind.

Edit to add this line: I do somewhat agree with the previous posters that sometimes having too much power can get you in trouble. I have hit some ridiculous speeds in my base 911. If I had a turbo I'm pretty sure I would have reached 170mph by now...it's probably a good thing that I haven't.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:44 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the 09 turbo does not get direct injection or pdk yet... have you considered a new S for a bit more extra grunt? if money isnt really an issue, I would consider that upgrade for now, and then wait for dfi for the turbo see what that new engine would be like...

Quick Reply: Thoughts on turbo