Sponsored by:

Check out the ad. One car manufacturer that just won my vote

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 08:05 PM
andre5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
Because that's the proper comparo. You compare level of car to level of car.

MB's entry is the C300 V6; the Audi the 2.0t. Audi's biggest (non S line) engine is the 3.2; MB's (non AMG) it's the 3.5L.

Now if you wanna compare the RS4 vs the C63, we can do that too. LOL
But then you end up comparing a 4 cyliinder all wheel drive car to a V6 rear wheel drive car? LOL It's a never ending cycle
Old 09-21-2008, 08:23 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Cope
You have to read the fine print. They compare it to the 328xi, C330 4matic, and Lexus IS250 AWD.
Ah, they're comparing the Audi with the big engine to the competition with the small engine. Seems shady to me...

As for the commercial, it was...just a commercial.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:44 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I've owned several recent Audis (2005.5 S4, 2007 A3, 2007 RS4) and they've been great cars. My RS4 is a monster - I'm only moving on because Mr. Sanner is making me a great deal on a 997 Turbo (and I like his stoppie). The A3 is now my wife's car, but it is phenomenal - quick, easy to drive, lots of fun. It's a 2.0T w/DSG - a perfect drivetrain combo that renders the V6 obsolete IMO. The S4 was really good, but the RS4 is a different planet when it comes to performance.

Also, my wife and I rented a 2008 A6 S-line for almost a month in CA and loved it. It rode great, got incredible gas mileage (30mpg???), and was fun to drive. I've heard the S6 is a little boring, but I bet it's VERY polished. If I were looking for a nice, comfy, fast cruiser the S6 would be up for consideration.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:45 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by andre5
But then you end up comparing a 4 cyliinder all wheel drive car to a V6 rear wheel drive car? LOL It's a never ending cycle

Did I REALLY have to type it all out for you??

Okay, fine.

MERCEDES BENZ C300 4MATIC (AWD) Vs. AUDI A4 2.0t Quattro. How's that?

Seriously.....

Originally Posted by tooloud10
Ah, they're comparing the Audi with the big engine to the competition with the small engine. Seems shady to me...
As for the commercial, it was...just a commercial.

Hmm, it would appear SOMEONE got what i was say'n. Jayzus!!

Thank you Tooloud!!! - i see we're seeing eye to eye
Old 09-21-2008, 08:46 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
I've owned several recent Audis (2005.5 S4, 2007 A3, 2007 RS4) and they've been great cars. My RS4 is a monster - I'm only moving on because Mr. Sanner is making me a great deal on a 997 Turbo (and I like his stoppie). The A3 is now my wife's car, but it is phenomenal - quick, easy to drive, lots of fun. It's a 2.0T w/DSG - a perfect drivetrain combo that renders the V6 obsolete IMO. The S4 was really good, but the RS4 is a different planet when it comes to performance.

Also, my wife and I rented a 2008 A6 S-line for almost a month in CA and loved it. It rode great, got incredible gas mileage (30mpg???), and was fun to drive. I've heard the S6 is a little boring, but I bet it's VERY polished. If I were looking for a nice, comfy, fast cruiser the S6 would be up for consideration.

Word up!
Old 09-23-2008, 02:57 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MLindgren
My Audi experience is limited to the TT Roadster my wife drives. By far the most expensive car to maintain I've ever owned. The 4 yr/40K mile maintenance was right around $800 due to having to change the Haldex fluid. It's far more costly than Porsche maintenance which I find to be very fair.

Never again.
Then don't buy a Lexus. I've averaged $2000/yr of "routine" maintenance on my Lexus LX 470. Lexus may have cheaper MSRP's and a good reputation, but it hasn't been any more reliable than my 2000 Benz and the total cost of ownership has been outrageous.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:12 PM
Matias_S
Instructor

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
Did I REALLY have to type it all out for you??

Okay, fine.

MERCEDES BENZ C300 4MATIC (AWD) Vs. AUDI A4 2.0t Quattro. How's that?

Seriously.....
Do you have to put out the same coin for these cars? If yes, then comparo is fair, if one requires more dinero then comparo is not fair...
Old 09-23-2008, 03:34 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Audi A6 2.7 Bi-Turbo Line-S 2003-2007
Audi S4 2006-2008
Audi A4 Line-S with 3.2 2006 - Present

Loved them ALL - West Coast moves had me sell off a few cars (too many on too many coasts)...

I am a MAJOR fan of Audi - not a single problem with any of the cars the time we owned all of them - the S4 was Super - only got rid of it because I have the 911 in California and needed a "4x4 SUV" with more room than the S4...
Old 09-23-2008, 05:28 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by Matias_S
Do you have to put out the same coin for these cars? If yes, then comparo is fair, if one requires more dinero then comparo is not fair...
False. You compare entry level to entry level. Then the next level to the next level. That keeps the playing field level.

So if that's your arguement; a Z06 Corvette should be compared to a C2S 911 Coupe? (when ALL the mag's are comparing it to the Turbo? So they're wrong?)

See what I'm say'n?
Old 09-23-2008, 05:43 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 2008 A4 as a 4rd car. It is an very unoptioned, front drive 2.0 It is no frills, but is fine for its inteded purpose for my use. I haven't had it long so no issues for me. It is quiet, gets good mileage, looks nice, and was relatively cheap considering the 2009 was a new model so they were giving away the 2008's.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:03 PM
997, esq
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope your no frills car has a stick and not a multitronic/CVT. Although the CVT has improved, apparently, it still has reliability problems and owning one out of warranty can be a gamble. I think I would have a very different opinion of Audi if I had not gotten the multitronic. Has made me suspicious of all fancy auto transmissions ... PM me if you want details. Good luck!

Originally Posted by blk on blk
I have a 2008 A4 as a 4rd car. It is an very unoptioned, front drive 2.0 It is no frills, but is fine for its inteded purpose for my use. I haven't had it long so no issues for me. It is quiet, gets good mileage, looks nice, and was relatively cheap considering the 2009 was a new model so they were giving away the 2008's.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:01 PM
JJB236
Racer

Originally Posted by C4SCABHVN
This post started with "For more than a decade, i've been with MB, BMW, and Porsche". And then went on to the Audi commercial and it's impact etc. That starting sentence describes me/my wife to a T - with the exception of a couple of Saab's and one VW Passat thrown in (which was essentially an Audi, anyways, back in the day).

My wife saw the commercial (and she's been a BMW person who just got an MB S550) and she LOVED it - all until she saw the ending!!! She asked me, "did we buy the wrong car"? The ad ABSOLUTELY hit home with her and I'll say this - having just plunked down the coin for the MB - made me think too. At a minimum, it will have me/us look at the Audi next time we're looking. An outstanding ad - and the music with it was perfect. Whichever agency they are using sure did a bang-up job!
LOL the marketing ad really has effect on people, doesn't it? Now the biggest hurdle is the quality and reliability issue... just like the L/R Range Rovers and Jags. Hope Audi doesn't get categorized into a beautiful piece of scap metal.

Unless Audi shapes up with the dependability issue, I will stay with the "old luxury." I don't have time for frequent dealer trips. The Mercedes in the ad, I think was S550, looked lame due to the color being beige. Picture it with a black S55 AMG or a BMW M3 or M6, it would have been different. Now picture it with a 997 GT2, GT3 or Turbo. P car an "old luxury"? It's more of a legend that offers best of both worlds - design and quality.

Cheers
Old 09-23-2008, 08:59 PM
lig
Racer

Originally Posted by JJB236
Unless Audi shapes up with the dependability issue, I will stay with the "old luxury."

Are you speaking from personal experience with regard to Audi?

Personally - after having one M-B (2003 E class - brand new) I will never buy one again. Complete and total POS. SBS brakes - joke. Fiber optic cabling - great idea - horrible execution. Squeaks and rattles very unseemly for a $50K+ car.

My Audi on the other hand has been outstanding even though I was expecting it to be pretty so-so in terms of reliability.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:24 PM
JJB236
Racer

Originally Posted by lig

Personally - after having one M-B (2003 E class - brand new) I will never buy one again. Complete and total POS. SBS brakes - joke. Fiber optic cabling - great idea - horrible execution. Squeaks and rattles very unseemly for a $50K+ car.

My Audi on the other hand has been outstanding even though I was expecting it to be pretty so-so in terms of reliability.
Nope, I never had an Audi, but that was the conclusion based on the info from the guys in here. And Audi not being in the top 10 list of JD Power reliability test kinda confirms it.

I'm not really surprised about your disappointment with the current E-class. My 300E is from 91 and still runs great at 199K miles. I think the MB status & quality was the best in the 80's and 90's. My family had the BMW 528, 740iL and now 745i Sport & 750i Sport. We never had any problems, although I hear many complaints from BMW owners.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:32 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by lig

Originally Posted by JJB236
Nope, I never had an Audi, but that was the conclusion based on the info from the guys in here. And Audi not being in the top 10 list of JD Power reliability test kinda confirms it.

I'm not really surprised about your disappointment with the current E-class. My 300E is from 91 and still runs great at 199K miles. I think the MB status & quality was the best in the 80's and 90's. My family had the BMW 528, 740iL and now 745i Sport & 750i Sport. We never had any problems, although I hear many complaints from BMW owners.
MB has major issues with the 2003-2004 cars. The SBC braking unit was replaced by normal brakes in MY2007 as was the suspension and over all fit and finish of the car.

The 2007-09 cars are ROCK solid. Gone are the Bosch electronics ; in came in the Harmon International after MY2005.

Drive the new E and you'll see. Drive the one that's completey redesigned and you'll be blown away.

*I have a 2007 MB E350 Sport RWD- Not a single issue. Tires look as good as new. Average 24mpg (98% is city) I'd say the car rocks.

Quick Reply: Check out the ad. One car manufacturer that just won my vote