Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK Clutch Replacement Costs? Maybe $5000-$6000 @ 15,000 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 06:26 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Almost certain my next Porsche will have PDK transmission. I plan on budgeting for PDK fluid changes every 45K miles or so, but do not plan on any other expenses.

Supercars with F1-style transmissions can go through a clutch in under 10K miles.

But Porsche PDK a different system.

As others have pointed out Porsche PDK clutches are wet clutches and controlled by computer so unless computer malfunctions hard to see how driver could abuse clutches. Unlike of course the old style manual transmission equipped car with the driver operated clutch that of course is subject to all sorts of abuse.

I would not treat PDK fluid as "lifetime" fluid though. Clutches will wear and shed material and this abrasive and if not filtered out this can result in wear in the very sensitive hydraulic valving the transmission I'm sure contains. Periodic change of the fluid is good PDK longevity insurance.

In fact I'd be inclined to change PDK fluid between 5K and 10K miles and then say every 50K miles after.

As for no parts being offered this is not uncommon. All PDK parts intended for use in complete PDK assemblies for new cars with a few assemblies set aside to cover replacement of those few that die in the field in existing cars.

Like engine failures early PDK failures will be handled on a replacement basis with the old PDK transmssion shipped back to factory for analysis and possible rebuild/remanufacture to serve as a replacement transmission in the future.

In a few years -- as happened with M96 engines -- the factory will release procedures for checking out and repairing at Porsche dealerships PDK transmissions that have what the factory has determined to be repairable problems that do not require full replacement of transmission.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Well said, I think this thread started too early with too little information, but what you've compiled is as I understand Porche to operate.

Keep in mind the PDK has a wet clutch that's entirely separate from the gearbox. I'm sure Porsche will have service bulletins and standard procedures for maintenance. "Lifetime" fluids mean the chemistry of the fluid does not deteriorate, so filtration serves the same purpose as maintenance replacement. As far as I know, no gearbox oil is yet capable of remaining chemically stable and no filtration system is in place, so the box will need oil changes. The clutch packs surely have a filtration point, but I have no idea what fluid is in there.

I bought a PDK car in part just to learn about that nifty shifter. I'm looking forward to pulling it apart! : )
Old 09-06-2009, 02:12 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Well, unlike you guys, I have PDK, but my next car will most certainly be a manual. For me, nothing beats the involvement of making a nice downshift and powering out of corner. Pushing the button/pulling the paddle or stick just doesn't replace the sensation... I'm sure I'll miss PDK in my commute, but then that's what my GTI is for (and it has DSG!).
Old 09-06-2009, 02:30 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
Well, unlike you guys, I have PDK, but my next car will most certainly be a manual. For me, nothing beats the involvement of making a nice downshift and powering out of corner. Pushing the button/pulling the paddle or stick just doesn't replace the sensation... I'm sure I'll miss PDK in my commute, but then that's what my GTI is for (and it has DSG!).
Well, I've driven a manual since I first started driving at 15 1/2 years old. I enjoy the act of shifting as much as anybody but leg and feet problems are starting to cause me discomfort while I drive. (The aftereffects of several broken bones and wear and tear from previous careers more than age.)

I do not want to give up driving until I absolutely have to and one thing that can keep me driving longer could be switching to an automatic. PDK offers advantages over old style slush box which is a good thing.

Besides I'm kind of a tech freek and want to experience this latest automotive technology and see what it has to offer.

But not before others have debugged it...

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:37 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Macster - I am so thrilled that PDK exists for folks like you, Mdrums, etc. that have physical limitations. I am also an early adopter of tech, which is why I went against my "no first model year" rule to try out PDK and the DFI engine. I am very pleased - this car is much better than I had hoped for, and I certainly had high expectations. It's just odd going from two manual cars (RS4 and Cayman) to no manual cars...
Old 09-06-2009, 02:51 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Additional maintenance 60,000 miles (90,000 km) or every 6 years

❏ PDK Change clutch oil
Old 09-06-2009, 04:51 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
Additional maintenance 60,000 miles (90,000 km) or every 6 years

❏ PDK Change clutch oil
Know-it-all.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:40 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
Macster - I am so thrilled that PDK exists for folks like you, Mdrums, etc. that have physical limitations. I am also an early adopter of tech, which is why I went against my "no first model year" rule to try out PDK and the DFI engine. I am very pleased - this car is much better than I had hoped for, and I certainly had high expectations. It's just odd going from two manual cars (RS4 and Cayman) to no manual cars...
Had a loaner Caddy while my Turbo back in shop getting some issues dealt with. Drove Caddy 2 weeks. Auto of course.

Finally dealer called me to tell me Turbo's ready to pick up. Quick as I could I'm at dealer going over car and it is ok. I hand overy keys to Caddy and get in Turbo and when time to drive away almost grabbed stick and yanked it back from "park" into "drive" before I remembered I was no longer in an automatic but back in my manual Turbo.

Thank God both of my cars are sticks.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: PDK Clutch Replacement Costs? Maybe $5000-$6000 @ 15,000 miles?