Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does this "traffic" ticket make sense ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 06:17 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What the...? You're purposely driving without any plates, and you're asking whether this ticket makes sense? Without the front plate, I can understand, but no plates whatsoever? You don't think a car with no plates (not even a valid temp tag) draws attention from LEOs? Or do you think a Porsche should be exempt? C'mon...
Old 10-20-2008, 06:27 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JJB236
First, can they pull someone over for having no plates? What if the car was brand new? Then he had no business pulling over a car, right?
As I understand it, you can be pulled over for any number of reasons in California. If the officer were to state that you had no front plate, no rear plate and your temporary tags weren't prominently featured on your front window, he/she is within his/her rights to pull you over.

Second, he was no CHP, he looked like a regular city police officer. Is pulling a car over on a freeway by a non-CHP within their jusrisdiction?
Yes. While CHP focuses their activity on the freeways, they can pull you over, cite you, or make arrests anywhere. Their jurisdiction does not end at the freeway offramp. And the opposite is true. Blow past an LA County Sheriff on the 405 and he's 100% within his rights to pull you over.

Does anyone know what the fine is for something like this? It looks like this is going on my driving record? Does this traffic ticket make sense on a non-traffic related matter? The ticket states that I need to appear in the Oakland court?
Without seeing the ticket, that's tough to tell.

I had the misfortune of being cited for no front plates a few months back. The DMV had apparently mailed me my plates but I never received them. I was cited for not having the plates because the burden of proof fell on me. I simply had to pay the fine, go to the DMV where I was provided a complimentary second set of plates (any more sets would have cost me additional $), affix the plates to my car, and then get the CHP to sign off on the fix it ticket.

It was a bit of a hassle but not that big of a deal and it does not show up on my record. The court should mail you something in a few weeks with more information about your issue/question.

In the meantime, you can look on your ticket and find the vehicle code violation you were cited for. Using this site, you can research all your questions to your satisfaction.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vc_index_t.htm

Good luck.

FWIW - I knowingly drive without a front license plate with the knowledge that I am open to ticketing at any time. It's a little silly, IMO, for you to drive without any plates at all and then be surprised that your cited. But that's only one man's opinion.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:48 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Running without the required plate, stickers, etc. is just asking for trouble. Here in New York, even parking ticket agents can issue tickets for expired or missing license plates, registration stickers or inspection stickers. We have met the enemy and he is us.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:21 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Here in CT, they (State Troopers) will park on an enterance ramp to a highway that has a long ramp and observe those comming at them. If you're registration sticker is out of date, you're pulled over, if you don't have a seat belt on, you're pulled over, if you're on a cell phone, you're pulled over. That said, if you drive without ANY tag/plate on the car, YOU"RE PULLED OVER and in some cases, thay have every right to forbid you to drive it and have it towed on the spot since it's missing plates.

Pay the fine since you did not have any plate. You had a registration sticker. Next time, have the dealer give you a temp plate, dealer plate etc before you take it on the roads.

Be glad he didn't have you out of the car and a tow truck taking the car for failure of displaying a plate.

Hell, even if you drew something on cardboard that is a temp or your're old plate, at least you may have made it.

Deanski
Old 10-20-2008, 11:41 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 210 Posts

Dude -
No plates on the car and you're wondering why you got pulled over and ticketed? Am I missing something here? Hell, I'm terrified if my State inspection sticker lapses by a day,....never mind the license plate. Honestly, I don't think I could drive 10 blocks without being pulled over w/o a plate.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:44 AM
purrybonker
Pro

This thread is proof of something....

...either that or it's just plain ridiculous.

But I suppose that explains 99% of the threads.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:58 AM
Sadiq
Pro

Because I have been looking for ways to install the front license plate, I have delayed putting on the rear plate as well, thinking that I would install them together. Finally got the tow-hook front plate kit, and ready to install them. It's been a few months since the purchase. But I was just up in SF with my 08 997 from LA. On the Bay Bridge, this motorcycle cop with a mustache pulls me over. I asked him if I did anything wrong. He said it was because I had no license plates. First, can they pull someone over for having no plates? What if the car was brand new? Then he had no business pulling over a car, right? Second, he was no CHP, he looked like a regular city police officer. Is pulling a car over on a freeway by a non-CHP within their jusrisdiction?

I told him I just got the bracket for the front plate, and that I was going to install both plates later that day when I get to L.A. He wrote me up anyway and gave me a "traffic" ticket, instead of non-traffic fix-it ticket. As he was handing me the no-plates ticket, I asked him again why I was the target in being pulled over. Then, he gave a different answer. He said that I passed him at a few miles over the speed limit. The limit on the bridge was 50 MPH. The ticket didn't include speeding, though.

Does anyone know what the fine is for something like this? It looks like this is going on my driving record? Does this traffic ticket make sense on a non-traffic related matter? The ticket states that I need to appear in the Oakland court?

Btw, this whole trip made me realize and appreciate the amazing handling of the 997. I've owned a 911 for almost a decade, but didn't realize its true performance til now. The female passenger said it went through traffic like a bulletc.
is this an April Fool's thread?
Old 10-21-2008, 03:01 AM
Sadiq
Pro

Originally Posted by Coochas
Dude -
No plates on the car and you're wondering why you got pulled over and ticketed? Am I missing something here? Hell, I'm terrified if my State inspection sticker lapses by a day,....never mind the license plate. Honestly, I don't think I could drive 10 blocks without being pulled over w/o a plate.
although, in CA, PLENTY of cars drive around with no plates. It baffled me when I moved here 4 years ago, and..... it still baffles me.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:10 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred2
Is (was) the temp decal still valid, or had it expired?
I received my plates about two weeks before the temp expired, so I didn't install the rear plates until the date the temp expired. I still doesn't have the front plate on after 3 years. Just stay away from San Francisco, Oakland, or places you have to park on the street.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:40 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

California law requires the temporary paper sticker (with a big white number on it indicating the month in which it expires against a red field) until the plates arrive. California is very slow with issuing some plates (like personalized ones). I had to get the DMV to issue me a second or maybe even a third one until I got my real plate in. To drive with no plates is asking to be picked off,--and well deserved. When you mention that the police should be out picking up terrorists instead,--keep in mind that Timothy McVey (ala the Oklahoma City bombing) was stopped for exactly that reason by the police,--no plate on the rear of his getaway car. Had that plate not fallen off it's uncertain whether they would have ever found him that quickly.

You could have stolen the car, or any number of other things. I'm glad that the authorities pulled you over,--they're doing their job. What I would like them to do MORE is to pull over the cars with the long expired tags on them! I saw one in a shop yesterday with Calif plates that had expired in Nov 2007. He's been nearly a year one of compliance. I'm tired of paying THEIR way on the highways!
Old 10-21-2008, 04:55 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Egocentricity - that's the word I was looking for.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:02 PM
Hauser_III
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because I have been looking for ways to install the front license plate, I have delayed putting on the rear plate as well, thinking that I would install them together. Finally got the tow-hook front plate kit, and ready to install them. It's been a few months since the purchase. ...
I told him I just got the bracket for the front plate, and that I was going to install both plates later that day when I get to L.A. He wrote me up anyway

This would be analogous to saying, "I shouldn't be ticketed for speeding because I intended to slow down to the legal limit."
The following users liked this post:
8x57IRS (05-05-2023)
Old 05-03-2023, 04:22 AM
johnjacob
2nd Gear

Default traffic ticket

I would suggest reviewing the details of the ticket to ensure that all information is accurate and that any instructions. it is important to prioritize safety while operating a vehicle and to follow all traffic laws to avoid receiving future tickets.
Old 05-03-2023, 11:10 AM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 645 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by johnjacob
I would suggest reviewing the details of the ticket to ensure that all information is accurate and that any instructions. it is important to prioritize safety while operating a vehicle and to follow all traffic laws to avoid receiving future tickets.
That was 15 years ago, I think the ticket was paid, even the law is now different.
Old 05-03-2023, 11:34 AM
rodsdream
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I am not sure of the exact statutes in California but, in most jurisdictions not having a plate on a vehicle is PC for a traffic stop. A L.E.O. doing g his or her job should pull you over. The vehicle could be stolen, not registered etc. The fact that is a high end vehicle makes it stand out therefore the stop for no plates presented itself. I read that you may have had a temporary sticker on the front windshield. If so he should have checked to see if it was valid. If it was and NOT expired and your insurance and D/L were valid he should have been done with his stop and let you go end of story. If not, an unregistered vehicle in many states is a criminal offense, arrestable with the subsequent towing of your vehicle. If there was some sort of argument etc from your part he may have been non sympathetic to your story and tried to hassle you. I will read the rest of the posts to see if you further elaborated on the incident and comment accordingly .
The following users liked this post:
Biff Neckbrace (05-03-2023)

Quick Reply: Does this "traffic" ticket make sense ?