Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does this "traffic" ticket make sense ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 01:43 PM
JJB236
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does this "traffic" ticket make sense ?

Because I have been looking for ways to install the front license plate, I have delayed putting on the rear plate as well, thinking that I would install them together. Finally got the tow-hook front plate kit, and ready to install them. It's been a few months since the purchase. But I was just up in SF with my 08 997 from LA. On the Bay Bridge, this motorcycle cop with a mustache pulls me over. I asked him if I did anything wrong. He said it was because I had no license plates. First, can they pull someone over for having no plates? What if the car was brand new? Then he had no business pulling over a car, right? Second, he was no CHP, he looked like a regular city police officer. Is pulling a car over on a freeway by a non-CHP within their jusrisdiction?

I told him I just got the bracket for the front plate, and that I was going to install both plates later that day when I get to L.A. He wrote me up anyway and gave me a "traffic" ticket, instead of non-traffic fix-it ticket. As he was handing me the no-plates ticket, I asked him again why I was the target in being pulled over. Then, he gave a different answer. He said that I passed him at a few miles over the speed limit. The limit on the bridge was 50 MPH. The ticket didn't include speeding, though.

Does anyone know what the fine is for something like this? It looks like this is going on my driving record? Does this traffic ticket make sense on a non-traffic related matter? The ticket states that I need to appear in the Oakland court?

Btw, this whole trip made me realize and appreciate the amazing handling of the 997. I've owned a 911 for almost a decade, but didn't realize its true performance til now. The female passenger said it went through traffic like a bulletc.

Last edited by JJB236; 10-20-2008 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:10 PM
Stephenkng
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did he issue you a triffic ticket for not having a license plate? Or he wrote you up for speeding?
The following users liked this post:
Summerjack (05-14-2023)
Old 10-20-2008, 02:19 PM
Fred2
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JJB236
On the Bay Bridge, this motorcycle cop with a mustache pulls me over.
was it this guy?
Attached Images  
Summerjack (05-14-2023)
Old 10-20-2008, 02:20 PM
JJB236
Racer

Originally Posted by Stephenkng
Did he issue you a triffic ticket for not having a license plate? Or he wrote you up for speeding?
He did not give me a citation for the speeding.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:22 PM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

If he wrote you up for speeding, you can go to traffic court to get it off your record. Yes a local cop can pull you over, doesn't have to be a CHP. It is against the law to drive without a license. When you have a new car, you have either 1) your old plates, new car tags, but you will have the paperwork, that states you just brought the car. I have no idea about the fines as with the economy in the toilet fines are on the rise. Good luck! I noticed that you said the court was in Oakland, so I'm assuming you were on the Oakland Bay Bridge on the Oakland side.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:00 PM
am722
Drifting

You were driving a car with no license plate of any kind (temporary or otherwise) anywhere on the car? I'm shocked you made it all the way from LA to SF without getting pulled over.
Summerjack (05-14-2023)
Old 10-20-2008, 03:06 PM
D.D.
Race Car

Originally Posted by am722
You were driving a car with no license plate of any kind (temporary or otherwise) anywhere on the car? I'm shocked you made it all the way from LA to SF without getting pulled over.
Bingo.....Pay up!!!
Summerjack (05-14-2023)
Old 10-20-2008, 03:08 PM
JJB236
Racer

Originally Posted by am722
The dealer did put on a temporary decal on the front window
Old 10-20-2008, 03:14 PM
JJB236
Racer

Originally Posted by D.D.
Bingo.....Pay up!!!
Dude, I have no problem paying for the ticket. WTF with the malicious gratification?

I cannot believe the city is making an issue out of no plates, no front license plates, seatbelt laws, etc. when their time should be better spent going after the terrorists, rapists, murderers, etc. What did they really do and where were they when they let terrorists into airports on 9/11?
Old 10-20-2008, 04:09 PM
pmgoodwin
Racer

... their time should be better spent going after the terrorists, rapists, murderers, etc. ...
Washington, DC is out of their jurisdiction
Old 10-20-2008, 04:56 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Red face Be thankful he didn't give you a speeding ticket!

1. Yes, a city cop can give tickets in the freeway
2. Those temporary stickers are TEMPORARY...how is he suppose to know
if you are beyond the temporary time frame unless he pulls you over.
You had no plates! Yes he can pull you over.
3. If I were him and I read your complaints....I mail you a speeding ticket too.
4. The fact that you were from LA didn't help much.

That said, there are so many cars without front plates that its rediculous to give tickets out....I think the guy was nice to you by giving you a license plate ticket instead of a traffic violation which would go on your record.
abe

Last edited by abe; 10-20-2008 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:05 PM
Fred2
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The dealer did put on a temporary decal on the front window
Is (was) the temp decal still valid, or had it expired?
Summerjack (05-14-2023)
Old 10-20-2008, 05:15 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

A certain percentage of the populace is made up of A-holes and some of that percentage wear badges.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:55 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Dude, I have no problem paying for the ticket. WTF with the malicious gratification?

I cannot believe the city is making an issue out of no plates, no front license plates, seatbelt laws, etc. when their time should be better spent going after the terrorists, rapists, murderers, etc. What did they really do and where were they when they let terrorists into airports on 9/11?
Dude.. if you had no problem, this would not be a thread.

You would just have paid the fine for driving on the public roads without a license plate attached.

Your guilty. Pay the fine.

Lets move on.
Coolwnc (05-05-2023)
Old 10-20-2008, 06:12 PM
pbarch1
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

In California they do not issue you a temporary plate. They tape a temporary registration in the front window. But that is imposable for the police to have known it was expired when he pulled you over. Sounds to me like he was looking for a date and when you didn't accept his advances he wrote you up.
~

Quick Reply: Does this "traffic" ticket make sense ?