Sponsored by:

Help please! Battery tender issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 11:15 PM
entdoc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please! Battery tender issues

I just put my '08 C2S cab to bed for the winter and plugged in the OEM Porsche battery tender that I bought from the dealer (one end into the cigarette lighter, the other end into a wall socket).

The tender has 3 lights that should be on:
1. the power indicator
2. the car vs. motorcycle mode selection
3. the charging status (charging - a half-full battery diagram vs. maintenance - a full battery diagram)

When I intitially plugged in the tender, the charging light came on. When I went out several hours later, I noticed that the charging lights were out all together (only #1 and 2 were on). I figured that the cigarette lighter end had come loose and I took it out and plugged it back in again very firmly). Once again, all three lights were on.

I've now gone out to the garage again and the charging indicator is out again. I would also note that, at one point, I did see the maintenance light come on so that I know it's working and not burned out.

As I understand it from reading the manual, either the charging or the maintenance light should be on at all times.

Does anyone have any experience with these gizmos? Do I have a faulty one that needs replacement? Thanks so much.

David
Old 11-10-2008, 11:52 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have spoken to C-tek (oem manufacturer). They are not too keen on the cigarette lighter connection. They prefer you hook the connectors to the battery and attach and remove the tender from there. I am using the lighter plug w no problem so far but it does sound like you are losing the connection. If you try the other method and the unit continues to charge then the problem is either in the lighter or the plug.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:48 AM
fusion85
Intermediate

I also use that device. I had the fuse blow once & had no maintenance light (green). New fuse, no problem.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:11 AM
entdoc
Instructor

Thanks. The unit I bought from Porsche only has a lighter plug end - there isn't an option for direct hookup to the battery terminals.

Is it likely that the problem is with the battery tender or do you think I have a problem with my cigarette lighter? I think I used it once for a cell phone when the battery ran low but now I'm not sure.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:57 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 413 Likes on 283 Posts

I have 2 units from Sears that I used with the cig socket last year with no problems.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:09 AM
irish guitar
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

I use (and have used for two years) a Porsche unit that plugs into cig lighter. I leave the car plugged in for up to six weeks at a time. No issues or worries thus far; it starts up every time I come home. I'm sorry that I don't know what unit it is, exactly, but I'm not home at the moment to see.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:27 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 257 Posts

I've used the cig lighter over the last 3 winters, and just plugged it in yesterday to start the 4th..... Car has always started fully charged in the spring.
BTW I have been using a generic CTC battery tender plugged into a timer that powers the tender for 2 X 2hr charge sessions every 24hr period,...at about 1/4 the cost of OEM....... After bending over for an OEM car cover, I was still a little "tender" in the nether regions to take on the price of Porsche's OEM battery tender....
Old 11-11-2008, 10:45 AM
entdoc
Instructor

For those of you using the Porsche model (because I don't know what the other ones look like), is there either a charging light or maintenance light always on?
Old 11-11-2008, 01:19 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

Hi,

I use the CTEK US800 model (one level below the OEM Porsche model) plugged into the socket by the passenger footwell and I always see either the amber charging light or the green maintenance light on.

I'm not sure which socket you're using, but try the other one. It could also be a loose connection in the charger or cigarette adapter. If you got it from a dealership, just bring it back to try on some of their cars or an exchange.

Good luck!

-Pete
Old 11-11-2008, 01:19 PM
Pugnacious
Racer

Originally Posted by entdoc
For those of you using the Porsche model (because I don't know what the other ones look like), is there either a charging light or maintenance light always on?
I have used this OEM charger for the past few years with no issues.

The red light is only on when the battery is being charged.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:25 PM
entdoc
Instructor

Thanks. My tender is like the one Pete describes as opposed to the one Pugnacious shows in the picture. There is an amber charging light and a green maintaining light.

It will be hard to test it in the dealership because the charging light comes on for a long time when I plug it in. It's when I check it 8 hours later that both lights are off.

I'm really embarrassed to ask but, as Pete suggests, is there a second socket in the car? I've been using the one in the center console.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:46 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 509 Likes on 160 Posts

There is an "always hot" accessory socket on the left side of the passenger's footwell.
I plug my CTEK unit into that socket...haven't had a problem in three years (or a dead battery).

I'm just guessing, but it sounds like the center console socket it not "always hot."
When you first plug the unit into it, the socket connects, but "times itself off" after a few minutes?

I know for a fact that the footwell socket it always on. Switch to that one; see what happens.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:22 PM
entdoc
Instructor

Thanks for the advice. I'll try the other socket when I get home tonight. I called the parts department and they said to bring in the tender and they'll try to sort it out for me (?exchange). They said it should work in either socket but I think it's worth trying the other one in case the console socket is the problem.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:49 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

Try the other socket but hopefully your friendly dealer will exchange it for you. You did pay a premium for it!

I've been using the CTEK for the past year with no issues until a few week ago when I started seeing BOTH of the amber and green lights on after 8+ hours of charging. If I unplug the thing from the wall and plug it back it, both lights would come on again along with a annoying buzzing sound from the unit. The only way I was able to "reset" it was to unplug it from the power socket in the car.

Ugh, not good. Was it the unit on the fritz or was my battery doing this? I plugged the unit into another car using the battery clamps for a week and it behaved normally. I put it back on the Porsche last week and it seems to back to normal for now.

My only theory? I over charged the Porsche? Who knows.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:51 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have used the center socket on my Club Coupe since day one for a few years now - NEVER a problem...

I did one time had the charger act funny (lights were not working or proper sequence) can't really remember but to fix it...

UnPlug the Charger from both the Porsche and the Wall outlet. Let it sit a few minutes (discharge any voltage left in capacitors, etc.) the plug it back into the wall - select vehicle and then plug back into the Porsche.

Again - other than that one hiccup - never an issue and I use one on my Club Coupe and Boxster!

Quick Reply: Help please! Battery tender issues