Sponsored by:

My 997 got hit. Who's at fault here?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 04:16 PM
Hauser_III
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Hit from behind, you win. Following cars are obliged to keep clear.
As a general rule, yes. But I hit somebody from behind, she sued after almost two years because she didn't like my insurance company's settlement offer, the suit went to a jury trial and the jury found that I was 60% responsible and she was 40% responsible. So, the car in back is not always going to be found to be solely responsible.

Since Texas has comparative negligence, the damages awarded by the jury---a whopping $2,900---were reduced by 40%. So, she walked away with $1,740, instead of the $10,000 the insurance company offered pre-trial or the $50,000 they offered when the case went to the jury. By the way, she had told her lawyer she refused to settle for under $1,000,000
Old 11-13-2008, 05:41 PM
JJB236
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ucube
From your description of the scene, it sounds like the other driver may be trying to pass you on the right shoulder, unaware you were going to make a right turn. Otherwise, for a car following behind you, how would his left front-end hit your right passenger rear? That'd lead me to believe perhaps you didn't have your turn signal on? BTW, was there any reason you didn't call the police?
Good observation. He said that he was trying to make a right turn on the same street, and by the time I gave my turn signal to go right in order to turn to the right street, he was in a hurry to get the gas station one block away, and probably missed seeing my turn signal. The street was very dark, and my car being black didn't help.

Basically he got very close to the curb before I did, and didn't see at my turn signal. And when I was making a turn, his driver's side left front hit my right rear wheel. I already spoke with several lawyers, and they uanimously said regardless of what the other guy claims, it will most likely turn out to be the other party's fault.

Btw, no cops will show if there is no bodily injury in CA.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:09 PM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad you're safe JJ and good luck. Your health is the most important thing and i'm sure the OP will be at fault.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:17 AM
kevinrubin
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JJB236
Good observation. He said that he was trying to make a right turn on the same street, and by the time I gave my turn signal to go right in order to turn to the right street, he was in a hurry to get the gas station one block away, and probably missed seeing my turn signal. The street was very dark, and my car being black didn't help.

Basically he got very close to the curb before I did, and didn't see at my turn signal. And when I was making a turn, his driver's side left front hit my right rear wheel. I already spoke with several lawyers, and they uanimously said regardless of what the other guy claims, it will most likely turn out to be the other party's fault.

Btw, no cops will show if there is no bodily injury in CA.
Sorry you have to go through this. One point that is still unclear is that is appears the car behind you was trying to turn right via the shoulder...not an actual lane. Now I know you are suppose to use the shoulder or bike lane to turn right, but if a car in front of you merges as well to make a right, the car in the back should be at fault.

Good luck.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:54 AM
Sadiq
Pro

"Who's at fault?"

You're all wrong!! The person at fault is always the person not posting about it
Old 11-14-2008, 01:10 PM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hauser_III
As a general rule, yes. But I hit somebody from behind, she sued after almost two years because she didn't like my insurance company's settlement offer, the suit went to a jury trial and the jury found that I was 60% responsible and she was 40% responsible. So, the car in back is not always going to be found to be solely responsible.

Since Texas has comparative negligence, the damages awarded by the jury---a whopping $2,900---were reduced by 40%. So, she walked away with $1,740, instead of the $10,000 the insurance company offered pre-trial or the $50,000 they offered when the case went to the jury. By the way, she had told her lawyer she refused to settle for under $1,000,000
Typical deranged client that always feels that their claim will be their gravy train.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:50 PM
Hauser_III
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phaphaphooey
Typical deranged client that always feels that their claim will be their gravy train.
"Deranged" doesn't get anywhere close to describing this particular lunatic. The accident happened after she stopped at the beginning of an on ramp to an interstate highway, waited for a gap in traffic that looked like Moses parted the Red Sea, accelerated to the end of the on ramp---AND STOPPED!

Of course, she stopped because somebody swerved into her lane, right, or her view became impeded, right? No. She stopped because, as she stated in her deposition, "That's the way I always enter a freeway. Stop at the beginning of the ramp, accelerate to the end of the ramp and stop again to make sure it's clear."

She was not a sympathetic witness at all, but she really lost the jury when they heard that excerpt from her deposition.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:18 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Pretty open and shut. Were your brake lights working?

Turn signal or not, you made a right and the guy behind you does have an obligation to not run into you.

That said, I wasn't there. If you were doing 30mph down the road, and slowed to 5mph to make the turn, all with a hard brake at the last second, and didn't have your signal on to warn the other driver you were going to slow down for a turn, then regardless of what the law may say, it would be your fault.

If you drove more normally, and slowed down gradually (ie your brake lights were on for more than a second), then he just wasn't paying attention and its his fault.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:26 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinrubin
Sorry you have to go through this. One point that is still unclear is that is appears the car behind you was trying to turn right via the shoulder...not an actual lane. Now I know you are suppose to use the shoulder or bike lane to turn right, but if a car in front of you merges as well to make a right, the car in the back should be at fault.

Good luck.
Um, unless your state has even more stupid traffic laws than Washington state (which is quite possible) you do NOT use bike lanes or shoulders in order to turn. Those are not travel lanes and not met for motor vehicles to drive in them.

If the other driver is trying to duck under you by using a shoulder, he's an idiot and at fault... (excepting that your state may have traffic laws less modern than India)
Old 11-14-2008, 08:26 PM
JJB236
Racer

Originally Posted by keninirvine
You described it as a 2-lane road with broken center line, then you said he may say you turned from the "center" lane rather than the right lane. I don't understand. Were there 2 lanes on your side of the center line, or one?

If there was one lane on your side of the road, I think you're safe, even if you didn't use your turn signal. The driver behind must drive with sufficient care and attention to safely respond to your actions.
Only one lane on each side of the road. When I said "right lane", I meant that red zone area.

Does the law specifically say that one has to be in the red zone area before making a right turn? I see so many people making right turn without pulling the close to the curb.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:08 AM
Jim 'n' SC
Racer

No police report=no fault. Each insurance company will pay for their car.

Quick Reply: My 997 got hit. Who's at fault here?