Sponsored by:

Three speeding tickets in two months....Sheesh

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 05:49 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by _Nathan
I find it hard to drive under 85 and I haven't gotten a speeding ticket in many years, even though there are lots of speed traps around here and I never use a radar detector. Here are some things that have worked for me, at least here in MD:
1) Assume that everyone in any late model American sedan is a cop, at least until you get a look at the driver. This is especially true for Crown Vics. The only people who drive Crown Vics are cops and very old people. Around here at least, there are also a lot of state troopers in unmarked American SUVs, but I have never seen one in any foreign car or any luxury car.
2) If you plan on making a very high speed run on a public road, do it first at the speed limit to look for speed traps. This has saved my driver's license.
3) Watch the terrain and don't go fast if you can't see what's ahead. The MD state police often set up speed traps in spots that have limited sight distance due to the terrain, so you can't see them until it's too late.
4) Go fast in the rain. I have never seen a radar trap when it's raining.
5) Stay out of the left lane as much as possible!
+1 I have really improved my driving record by following a few rules.

1. As previous people have said, stay out of the left lane whenever possible. Sometimes I hate it because I feel like I am weaving in and out of traffic but it works. Cops are usually lasering from the left side of the road and aimed at the fast lane.

2. Watch what trucks are doing. They have the best countermeasure against cops which is a CB radio. These guys livelyhood relvolves around a clean driving record and their communication is great. If you see trucks passing each other, you can feel a bit safer about speeding. If they are all lined up doing 55, there may be a reason up ahead.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:08 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Nathan's and P917k's advice is good but as the OP said, sports cars, and P-cars in particular, are ticket magnets. More than once I have been tagged while driving in the middle of a a group of cars, i am the one followed... while the others slowly disappear in the horizon. This is terrible police work and it's out there.

I agree that re speed traps the left lane is a larger target, except yesterday... all traps I saw were on the right lane, go figure.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:19 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Yep, you are usually the one who is going to be targeted in any group. The curse of owning something nice I suppose.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:35 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche917K
Yep, you are usually the one who is going to be targeted in any group. The curse of owning something nice I suppose.
You are also probably less likely to get off easy if they stop you. Before my 911 I had a MINI Cooper S and I got clocked going 80 in a 65 zone. He let me off with a warning. If I had been driving my 911 I probably would have gotten a ticket.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:44 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

I love how they give you some huge lecture about how unsafe speeding is too. As if Porsches are not completely safe cars at well above 100. Every time I get pulled over, I feel like saying "Hey pal, give me the lecture or give me the F'ing ticket so I can get to work!" I'm not bitter though...
Old 11-17-2008, 06:45 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

Another alternative is to just head out for a spirited drive on a two lane twisty and find a nice big yellow school bus whose driver doesn't like the turnouts!

Right, Dan?

(You know, we should've snapped a photo of that guy and the 50 car train behind him)

Last edited by uzj100; 11-17-2008 at 06:45 PM. Reason: change word
Old 11-17-2008, 08:24 PM
Tinluver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I just bought my 08 C2S about a year ago I was still using my 89 Supra as daily driver.80 MPH back and forth on a familiar road.Never a ticket.Took the Porsche out and Boom ticket for no front plate "Can't Win".
Old 11-17-2008, 09:21 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinluver
When I just bought my 08 C2S about a year ago I was still using my 89 Supra as daily driver.80 MPH back and forth on a familiar road.Never a ticket.Took the Porsche out and Boom ticket for no front plate "Can't Win".
There are good cops and bad cops, but in general they are very much anti-P-car - just envy, or foreign-car-hate. Although not a safe pass, they are far more lenient re Vettes - I know as I had one.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:28 PM
Norsk
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 81 Posts

Here's a little insight into how DPS works:
If you are pulled over, are respectful, and have no tickets on file, it is 60/40 that you will escape with a warning.
If you have one ticket on your record, it's 60/40 that you will be tagged.
If you have two tickets on your record, it's 100% sure that you will be tagged.
With three on file, keep your head down. In many states, you are close to triggering a revocation, depending on how far apart they occured. If you have a revocation on file and have been reinstated, once again you are dead meat.
If you are stopped because you were timed by an aircraft or a "wolf pack" with radar/laser and chase vehicles, you will be tagged.
Some jurisdictions allow you to request that your driving record be purged of violations older than, say,three years. Do it.
Don't ask me how I know...
Old 11-17-2008, 09:29 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thankfully, I have a full K-40 system, but it still does not save you 100% unless you know the areas where most traps are.

I usually get going at a good clip, then, let some rice'd out car chasing me pass me. As he blows ahead, he's nailed and I'm safe. Sometimes, you just have to use the really foolish drivers that have seen too many films or sit around playing GT or other driving games trying to apply it out on the road today.

I was on my way to the dealer in Danbury today (Airbag fault) and sure enough, had some rice'd out car chasing me up RT7 and as I got closer through Redding area, K-40 system went off on laser, which I backed down, let the ricer fly by me. Guess who was pulled over? Not me! At least now the cop is busy writing the ticket etc, so most will not pull out to chase another speeding car going by.

Get a good laser jammer, and remember, cops need a good reflective area to get a good reading, so license plates and headlight reflectors are best targets. This is where you want to have a jammer, near the plate and if possible, two below headlight areas.

When I travel in the company car (Ford Focus Wagon) up RT84, State Troopers have very unique ways of hiding. Once you travel the road enough, you can be a bit more cautious around those areas.

With the economy, more and more local towns, cities, and states are now looking for revenue. Keep this in mind now!

Regards,
Deanski
Old 11-17-2008, 10:09 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Cole, check out
www.radardector.net/forums
www.guysoflidar.com

I am down in Miami/Lauderdale this week on biz and my V1 laser went off 3 times today.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:36 AM
Hauser_III
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw six---yes, six---"revenue enforcers" camped out at various places in my commute to work this morning, and it's not even that close to the end of the month!

My favorite is the one who hides in an apartment complex parking lot halfway down a short, steep little hill where virtually everybody picks up about 6-8 mph. Sneaky.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:31 AM
richc
Pro

Move to a poor state. Here in Idaho we have very few cops. I just spent 10 days in Florida and was shocked at the number of cops I saw, it reminded me of Kalifornia. Montana is good too, I'm about 10 miles from the border with Montana and often scoot over there when I have the bug to drive fast.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:32 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by uzj100
Another alternative is to just head out for a spirited drive on a two lane twisty and find a nice big yellow school bus whose driver doesn't like the turnouts!

Right, Dan?

(You know, we should've snapped a photo of that guy and the 50 car train behind him)
I have 10 minutes of video of that performance!

Seriously, we are considered targets by cops, unfortunately. About a year ago I took a retired cop out for a spirited drive and she was absolutely blown away by the car's capabilities,--I think she came away from that with a completely new appreciation for what inherent safety is all about in such vehicles.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:43 PM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Cole - Our buddy KD should be able to help significantly with the tix. I'll keep my fingers crosses for ya.

In the mean time, save it for PBIR this weekend....see you there!

Quick Reply: Three speeding tickets in two months....Sheesh